Public service announcement

tube fanatic

(Mod edit: personal commentary removed),  If you have had a corneal transplant, know someone who has had a transplant, or is going to have one, this information is relevant.  

https://www.aao.org/editors-choice/two-cases-of-corneal-transplant-rejection-after-co

No discussion please as the thread will probably be locked immediately if there is.  

(Mod edit: Author's conclusion: 

Clinical significance

This study is the first evidence of a temporal association between corneal transplant rejection after COVID-19 mRNA vaccination and the first case reports of DMEK rejection following any immunization. Patients need to be informed of the symptoms and signs of rejection that require immediate medical attention. Clinicians and patients should be aware of this potential risk and consider vaccination before planned nonurgent keratoplasties. In those who already have corneal transplants, it may be beneficial to either increase the frequency of existing steroid regimens or avoid reducing treatment around the time of vaccination. When patients present with signs of transplant rejection, physicians should inquire about a history of vaccination and report temporal associations to the relevant agencies. As both patients were successfully treated with topical corticosteroids, the findings in this paper should not deter administration of the COVID-19 vaccination, because early recognition and prompt treatment of rejection can yield positive outcomes)

Maynard

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ronald Marshall said:

I think your article is more provocative than informative. Many people who have been vaccinated can become depressed after reading, even if they are doing well. In any case, yes, you need to be careful and think carefully, but I am sure that those who have already decided on this do not regret it.

Well, if a person who has had corneal grafts develops symptoms and sees their family doc who is clueless and loses their sight as a result I imagine they will be more depressed!  Knowing the possibility would likely result in their seeing an ophthalmologist instead and saving their eyes.

Maynard

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

Information should not be banned or deleted if we are to have a democracy ever again. Everyone has to weigh the benefits vs the risk with any medicine or medical procedure. Censorship is very dangerous. 

Social Media companies have the obligation to monitor disinformation being promoted on their platforms. Fwiw, its easier to spread lies than the effort to debunk them and the former has consequences. That's my take.

On 7/10/2021 at 6:24 AM, tube fanatic said:

I’m posting this because doctors don’t know crap about this stuff....

49 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

Well, if a person who has had corneal grafts develops symptoms and sees their family doc who is clueless and loses their sight as a result I imagine they will be more depressed...

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Consult your doctor on medical and vaccine issues and don't pay attention to those on the internet who continually rant against doctors and vaccines! 

• Like 1

Zen, are you saying that the American Academy of Ophthalmology is spreading disinformation?  I sincerely hope not.  If you believe that a general practitioner knows as much about ocular conditions as an ophthalmologist then I wish you luck!  

Maynard 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

Zen, are you saying that the American Academy of Ophthalmology is spreading disinformation?  I sincerely hope not.  

No. I am pointing out you seem to be searching the internet to find reasons for folks not to take the Covid-19 vaccine and have been doing so ever since they have been available. 

https://nkcf.org/corneal-transplant-patients-covid-19/

From the link:

An individual who has undergone corneal transplant should take the same precautions as anyone to avoid the virus – practice social distancing, frequent hand washing, masking when appropriate, and avoid touching your face and especially rubbing your eyes.
A second concern is that the COVID-19 vaccine may trigger an immune response and cause rejection of donor cornea tissue.  You and your doctor may have had a similar discussion about taking seasonal flu vaccines, and it is best to follow your doctor’s advice.  Evidence that cornea graft rejection has occurred due to vaccines is limited to a handful of case reports over the last forty years.  The COVID-19 vaccine does not contain a live virus, and there have been no reported cases yet of rejection of corneal tissue from the COVID-19 vaccine.

On 7/10/2021 at 6:24 AM, tube fanatic said:

I’m posting this because doctors don’t know crap about this stuff.  If you have had a corneal transplant, know someone who has had a transplant, or is going to have one, this information is relevant.  

https://www.aao.org/editors-choice/two-cases-of-corneal-transplant-rejection-after-co

From the link:

Limitations

Although there is no definitive evidence that COVID-19 vaccination led to corneal endothelial transplant rejection, the temporal association and the occurrence of simultaneous bilateral rejection—which is rarely seen in clinical practice—suggest a causal relationship. The authors hypothesize that the host antibody response might have triggered the allogeneic response.

Vaccine trials have shown that the BNT162b2 vaccine induces both adaptive humoral and cellular immune responses. Twenty-one days after vaccination, all study participants had elevated levels of anti-spike neutralizing antibody titers, antigen-specific CD4+ and CD8+ T cell responses, and proinflammatory cytokines such as interferon gamma (IFNγ). IFNγ-producing CD4+ T helper 1 cells are important in corneal allograft rejection. Cross-reactivity between the virus antigen-specific T cells and the HLA antigen-disparate corneal allograft endothelial cells may have contributed to the graft rejection in these 2 patients.

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

Social Media companies have the obligation to monitor disinformation being promoted on their platforms. Fwiw, its easier to spread lies than the effort to debunk them and the former has consequences. That's my take.

And who exactly is the judge on what is disinformation? I am sure in Russia it would be the Communist party. Now it seems in the USA on social media forums it is going to be the Democrat party. Now can you understand why censorship is wrong? Probably not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

And who exactly is the judge on what is disinformation?

Respected News organizations have editorial boards that abide by FCC regulations. Social Media platforms are trying to do the same thing as not  to be regulated by the government. 

I am sure in Russia it would be the Communist party.

Sure and look at what has come out with how they used bots and personnel to weoponize propaganda here and throughout Europe, especially in 2015/2016. Then consider the conspiracy theories and lies dealing with Covid-19 over the past year. THAT is why social media companies are trying to take action against disinformation. 

Now it seems in the USA on social media forums it is going to be the Democrat party. Now can you understand why censorship is wrong? Probably not.

This is a skewed political perspective, imo.

There are an estimated 80,000 corneal transplants yearly worldwide. From 191 million cases of Covid-19 4.1 million  deaths have occurred. Do the math regardless of truth to the above posted. No politics simply numbers. 

30 minutes ago, hanksjim1 said:

Quick question: how many doctors from the American Academy of Ophthalmology are recommending folks don't get the vaccine?

https://www.ophthalmologytimes.com/view/aao-study-more-than-96-us-ophthalmologists-vaccinated-covid-19

From the link:

A recent survey of US members of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) found that more than 96 percent of respondents indicated that they are fully vaccinated, while 78 percent of ophthalmologists surveyed said that 75 percent or more of their staff with patient contact are also vaccinated.

The AAO is calling on its members to continue to build confidence in COVID-19 vaccines and encourage people to get vaccinated, including their staff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Respected News organizations have editorial boards that abide by FCC regulations. Social Media platforms are trying to do the same thing as not  to be regulated by the government. 

Sure and look at what has come out with how they used bots and personnel to weoponize propaganda here and throughout Europe, especially in 2015/2016. Then consider the conspiracy theories and lies dealing with Covid-19 over the past year. THAT is why social media companies are trying to take action against disinformation. 

This is a skewed political perspective, imo.

And who exactly do you consider respected news organizations? Are these the same news organizations that lied to us over and over quoting "reliable sources have said?" I consider your opinions a skewed political perspective. imo

• Like 3

6 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Information should not be banned or deleted if we are to have a democracy ever again. Everyone has to weigh the benefits vs the risk with any medicine or medical procedure. Censorship is very dangerous. 

We have a democracy now.

No need to reply. Thanks!

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

And who exactly do you consider respected news organizations?

As stated above. The ones who have editorial boards and abide by the FCC guidelines. They also have a Historical Record of what they've published in regard to factual news and are constantly peer reviewed. 

Are these the same news organizations that lied to us over and over quoting "reliable sources have said?"

Again, this is political hyperbole. No. I don't trust "the news organizations that lied to any of us over and over again."

I consider your opinions a skewed political perspective. imo

I absolutely have a perspective, but it's based more in logic and reason than politics.