miniDSP SHD Power & Hypex NC400 Class D Amps

Langston

21 minutes ago, Guest Vahorns said:

"  ...an amp with the Purifi modules...."  - is that one of the VTV units?   Stereo or mono block?    Any info. on what pre pro used with this unit ?     Any further info. on this unit and how it is used would be appreciated.   I am in the market for a power amp and pre pro.  Thanks.

Stereo amp.   I'm currently using a Transcendent Sounds Grounded Grid pre with it.

On 1/13/2022 at 5:38 AM, Peacemaker said:

Are you replacing that Hypex with a VTV Purifi amp?

Based on interviews I read, Bruno Putzeys had to work really hard to improve the NC-400. I got mine about 6 years ago after reading his White Paper about it and NEVER EVEN HEARD IT. So I took a heckuva chance on the $1,600 on a pair of monobloc Kits. It took less than 1 hour each to Assemble them. No soldering required.

So now, you guys can buy the VTV amp fully assembled for the same or less money (especially if you factor in a conservative 15% inflation rated that made today's money less valuable).

I replaced my Aleph J Class A Nelson Pass Clone with the NC-400's and never regretted it.

For you total cheapskates out there, like me, you can get top notch "chip amp" Class D amps that feature the TI 3255 from Amazon for $80 each. I own 2 already and I have 3 more being delivered today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CJZGT6H?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

Also, I'm going to adapt the headphone jack to twin Banana Jacks so I can use my 10 Watt S.M.S.L Headphone amp on my 106 db/watt Horns downstairs. The Headphone Amp uses the same THX AAA 888 Technology that's in the $3,000 Benchmark Amp that everyone is raving about, but it only cost me $189.00 with free shipping. When you put your money in BIG HORNS, you can use "cheap" Low Watt High Quality amplifiers and still crank to stupid loud levels. Just remember that the difference between 10 and 100 watts is only 10 db, which means the 100 W amp will only go twice as loud to your ears. Based on that, it's not worth an extra $2,800, which means you should have spent your money on big horns instead and enjoyed more detail, better transients, and ridiculously low Distortion!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZNDN5PF/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=ad4434975b1cccd87ac1f6465fef88fe&hsa_cr_id=8702953500801&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=fb3fca5d-3066-4c96-b09a-81228a1b0666&pd_rd_w=7yCH3&pd_rd_wg=9qY2C&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_2_title

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

No, I'll be keeping my Plinius SA-100 MKIII that was just completely overhauled. 

So what doe this have to do with Hypex? Isn't that a Class A/AB amp? Do you have both and switch off, or use 2 different 2 channel systems?

11 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

So what doe this have to do with Hypex? Isn't that a Class A/AB amp? Do you have both and switch off, or use 2 different 2 channel systems?

It was an answer to the question asked, read the question and the answer.   I like the plinius more that the hypex. Cost is 3 times as high. That's what it took to better the hypex. I don't need two amps for my mains.   

19 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

It was an answer to the question asked, read the question and the answer.   I like the plinius more that the hypex. Cost is 3 times as high. That's what it took to better the hypex. I don't need two amps for my mains.   

Nice. My bad, I didn't read back far enough. Is it Class A A/B or both? How many WPC?

Will you be replacing JBL's too?

2 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

No I won't unless a, fantastic deal such as your Edgar horns happens to and in my lap. Very hard to beat the bang for the buck these jbls provide. 

Besides the fact that the total weight of 700 lbs. landing on your lap might hurt more than a little, the shipping cost would vie for that big Hurt title also! LOL.

2 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Besides the fact that the total weight of 700 lbs. landing on your lap might hurt more than a little, the shipping cost would vie for that big Hurt title also! LOL.

Pfffff that's easy lifting for 2 people.  Np.  You got the lightweight edition than I take it? Neo woofers and Baltic birch I take it?   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

the one that shipped with it, all full plug and play. I have others that use a Meanwell 48 V. for more power, but they are not yet assembled. Bang for buck unbeaten so far.

I checked the link you provided and it looked to me like the PS was not included, but I may have read it wrong. When I looked at the DOUK website they had a nice chart showing output with various power supplies and recommend using lower voltage (32 - 36) for lower distortion and longer life. Even with 32V, it will push over 100 wpc which should be more than enough for my needs. Definitely worth consideration.

Edit: I just went back to the listing and looked again. Right there in the description it says 32 DCV Power Supply. DOH! That's what I get for going straight to the description and skipping the heading.

43 minutes ago, CWelsh said:

I checked the link you provided and it looked to me like the PS was not included, but I may have read it wrong. When I looked at the DOUK website they had a nice chart showing output with various power supplies and recommend using lower voltage (32 - 36) for lower distortion and longer life. Even with 32V, it will push over 100 wpc which should be more than enough for my needs. Definitely worth consideration.

You read it wrong.   Size: A07+DC 32V Power Adapter

I own 2 already, one in the box, one on speakers for the last 2 months. I also have 4 more. The others I have are from 2 other manufacturers (2 are Eval Boards from Texas Instruments), not the one in the link. I will have 5 of the ones that come with the power supply that posted the link to. But there's only 3 left so you'd better hurry.

The other 4 I have yet to hook up with Meanwell Power supplies of higher voltage because I don't need 300 Watts.

I'm amazed at how good this sounds, and 100 watts is still too much for my 106 db horns, which means I can reach 126 db peaks.

2 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

You read it wrong. I own 2 already, one in the box, one on speakers for the last 2 months. I also have 4 more. The others I have are from 2 other manufacturers (2 are Eval Boards from Texas Instruments), not the one in the link. I will have 5 of the ones that come with the power supply that posted the link to. But there's only 3 left so you'd better hurry.

The other 4 I have yet to hook up with Meanwell Power supplies of higher voltage because I don't need 300 Watts.

I'm amazed at how good this sounds, and 100 watts is still too much for my 106 db horns, which means I can reach 126 db peaks.

I pulled the trigger. I'm going to tell my wife it is your fault...LOL

I’ve gone back and forth, forth and back between nCore 400 monoblocks, Benchmark and First Watt F3 hoping to actually say I favor one over another. I really believe the Benchmark and FW sound better than the nCores. There is a sense of better clarity, more “air” particularly in the upper mids and top end and just an overall sense of an openness not there with the nCores. Sure they all play Jubes louder than helll but I can play the FW and BM much louder More Comfortably than the nCores. That alone tells me that either distortion or harmonics are cleaner or friendlier than that with nCores. Of course my ears, my associated gear, my room etc. But I believe what I’m hearing - 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, richieb said:

I’ve gone back and forth, forth and back between nCore 400 monoblocks, Benchmark and First Watt F3 hoping to actually say I favor one over another. I really believe the Benchmark and FW sound better than the nCores. There is a sense of better clarity, more “air” particularly in the upper mids and top end and just an overall sense of an openness not there with the nCores. Sure they all play Jubes louder than helll but I can play the FW and BM much louder More Comfortably than the nCores. That alone tells me that either distortion or harmonics are cleaner or friendlier than that with nCores. Of course my ears, my associated gear, my room etc. But I believe what I’m hearing - 

I have all 106 db horns in my 2.1 system in the basement. My next step is to try the S.M.S.L. Headphone amp which uses the same technology as the Benchmark's THX AAA 888 under license, but with 10 db less output, which allow me 120 db with both channels driven (since the Full Horn Sub has it's own 120 watt amp). Who knows, it may sell me on the Benchmark, but I'll have to sell off some stuff to afford it down the road. I have other priorities at the moment. But I hear ya man, thanks for the feedback.