FOUND: Preamplifier

Chiliarches

Required: a remote
Important: multiple outs
Nice to haves: tape loop, tone control, phono stage, mono button

Max $600.  This is meant to be my backup unit.  Will consider something more expensive if it is really special; my main preamp is broken right now anyway, so I might just have it fixed and sell it if I prefer the replacement!

Thank you!

---

EDIT: FOUND ONE.  THANKS FOR THE HELP!
Edited by Chiliarches

4 hours ago, hanksjim1 said:

what amp you using  it with?

My main music amps are VRD monoblocks.

I also use a McIntosh MC2105.  But, in the spirit of convenience and room layout I am going to try out a cheap pair of chip amps (TPA3255 mono amps) in its place to compare the sound.

For 600.00 you aren't likely to get a phono stage, remote, and tone controls (ugh!). And if you do, at that price you probably won't like the SQ. A halfway decent phono stage will cost that much or more.

If your digital source is up to the task, you could try a Schiit Saga or Freya. Your VRD amps have high input impedance and plenty of gain, so a passive device could work. This will give you the remote you wanted and you can add a good phono stage later. 

If you can stretch your budget quite a bit, this is the one I'd buy. I owned one many years ago and it's a pretty good piece.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649743363-audio-research-sp9-mark-iii-preamplifier-mm-phono-black/

• Like 1

23 hours ago, absolve2525 said:

That looks interesting! I've never seen that one before. Are they getting good buzz? 

It has been recommended a few times over the years on some of the audio forums but hasn’t been formally reviewed that I’ve seen.  Some of the reviews on the maker’s website clinched it for me.

The gent that makes them has a power amp that was well reviewed in Stereophile, compared favorably to Pass Labs and PrimaLuna (it was in the “B” class for Stereophile’s recommended components this year).

The preamp looks to be the best value out there, if you want all the old fashioned controls in a new unit without spending several times the price.

Perhaps the buzz starts here?

Edited by Chiliarches
  • Like 1