Best non-Heritage center for Cornwall IV

CoryGillmore

So what's the consensus on the best non-Heritage center channel to pair with Cornwall IVs? Obviously another Cornwall IV or Heresy IV or Forte IV would be best, but for space reasons that isn't even close to feasible. So is the RC-64 III the best pairing as far as traditional center channels go? 

Best... no, but it is usable if you don't mind timbre variance, some of which can be eq'ed out. I used a rc64 for a few years that way... but heritage is much better. Some also have good success using a c7, but good luck finding one... and I think crites has a diy center build that is still for sale.

• Like 1

I have not listened to a CW-IV, but for my Forte III, I settled on B&K Sounds CSC-1 and the timbre match is uncanny. However, I am aware there is a pretty major difference with the CW-IV. Before the CSC-1, I tried a RC-7, but there was a noticeable timbre difference.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 9:05 AM, CoryGillmore said:

So what's the consensus on the best non-Heritage center channel to pair with Cornwall IVs?

There was a frequent Klipsch poster back in the day who said KLF-C7 was really good paired with the older Cornwall and he liked it better than the Academy center channel, which quite a few people used. 

On 7/14/2021 at 7:47 AM, Foxman said:

I tried a RC-7, but there was a noticeable timbre difference.

I wonder if one of the EQ programs such as Audyssey would help in this  regard...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

There was a frequent Klipsch poster back in the day who said KLF-C7 was really good paired with the older Cornwall and he liked it better than the Academy center channel, which quite a few people used. 

I wonder if one of the EQ programs such as Audyssey would help in this  regard...

While I have not used Audyssey, I do run DIRAC live. From my understanding these are correcting for room reflections (extreme oversimplification), which I would think, would have less to do with timbre. That said, with my setup, my DIRAC Live is built into a MiniDSP and I would be able to control some of the tonal qualities through the DSP for each channel if chose to, but that would probably be beyond my skills.

I would not run anything but a Heritage speaker as a center.  A compromise would be the Academy.  A reference or legend series speaker will stick out like a sore thumb with left to right or right to left pans across the front stage.  You center is the most important speaker that all the others are anchored too.  I would use a Heresy IV, no less or preferably a third Cornwall I would not compromise.  You will thank yourself later.

There is no receiver or preamp software or computer algorithm that will correct or alter a speakers timbre.  Not going to happen.

OP... you use some noise, white or pink, and blend the centers timbre using EQ to that of the mains using your ear...

it's like tuning a musical instrument. it works well, but it's not perfect.

best thing is a match speaker... and even then there can still be differences.

Honestly, I'm using an R-25C at the moment.....so an RC-64III couldn't possibly be worse than that haha.

I'm also considering not using a center at all. I find the Cornwall IVs to produce a fantastic center image on their own. Running them in 2 channel stereo while watching movies/TV, the sound of someone speaking appears as if it's coming right out of the TV screen. It's actually pretty badass. 

So let me pose this question: would you not use a center channel at all before you used a non-Heritage center channel? 

Is that what you call a "phantom center"? 

34 minutes ago, CoryGillmore said:

So let me pose this question: would just not use a center channel at all before you used a non-Heritage center channel? 

Yes and yes.  Klipsch speakers provide an awesome phantom center. 

• Like 1

All dedicated centers are lackluster IMO.  If space is an issue, I would look for a used C7.  Sensitivity is up there (99db) and it has a very decent horn for dialogue. Having said that, match your fronts if you can get away with it.

rfbp8l91xmg8nlnlgoju.jpg

• Like 2

Tried many different centers with my CW's, but never was satisfied with any (did not try a C7) :( Found a single Heresy and yes; much better. But, think you may not have the room for it. So; I would take a single (or double ?) Heresy and just build a box for it to fit your required dimensions.

Currently have bigger L/R speakers (KPT-904's w/ K-510 horns) and got rid of my center ... phantom center is perfect :) 

As an afterthought ... has anyone ever tried a single horn (like the K-510) as a center?  No bass below about 350Hz, but who cares? :) 

Oops ... found a C7 for you ... https://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/ele/d/dade-city-klipsch-klf-c7-center-speaker/7340431871.html

• Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 11:21 AM, CoryGillmore said:

So let me pose this question: would you not use a center channel at all before you used a non-Heritage center channel? 

The problem with a phantom center is when you run into the following situations:

1. center channel only is playing

2. outside mains only are playing

3. center is playing one thing and outside mains are playing something else

4. all 3 front speakers are playing the same thing

... every one of these situations sound exactly the same with a phantom center.  It's not ideal.  Panning across a wide screen isn't going to work well either.  The only time it halfway works is if you have a fairly narrow screen and have one seat in the sweet spot and you're just paying attention to speech that's coming out of the middle.  That's about it.  Most any other situation kinda sucks.  :) 

• Like 5

• 1 year later...