"Volume Event" Speaker/Hearing Protection - Fuse?

Hi.

I just got a 80-watt NAD power amp and streaming preamp combo. There's no volume limiter built into the pre-amp software (coming soon they say). I'd rather not have to buy a passive volume pot. I need a stopgap solution and was thinking an inline fuse would do the trick. Do I just get any old fast fuse and put it on either positive or ground of the speaker wire? What fuse spec do I need? I don't think I'll be able to "hear" a fuse, so I'm not concerned about that. Just trying to protect my speakers and the ears of my family.

Thanks!

Aaron

2 hours ago, Schu said:

Personally, I would wait until I got a passive before risking playback... unless your player had control.

I wholeheartedly agree with the above.

What is the sensitivity rating of your speakers?  What is the make and model of your speakers?

• Moderators
7 hours ago, aaronhirsch said:

Hi.

I just got a 80-watt NAD power amp and streaming preamp combo. There's no volume limiter built into the pre-amp software (coming soon they say). I'd rather not have to buy a passive volume pot. I need a stopgap solution and was thinking an inline fuse would do the trick. Do I just get any old fast fuse and put it on either positive or ground of the speaker wire? What fuse spec do I need? I don't think I'll be able to "hear" a fuse, so I'm not concerned about that. Just trying to protect my speakers and the ears of my family.

Thanks!

Aaron

If I read that correctly you want to run the Nad amp with no volume control ? If that is right, that's a crazy idea, there I said it. If .....I misread just ignore, sorry.

Crazy idea even with a fuse and hearing protection, might as well start ordering replacement driver's ahead of time. :o

• Like 1

Does your streaming preamp control the volume AUTOMATICALLY, and you just want the fuse to protect your ears and speakers against your preamp making a mistake?

There is a formula for selecting a fuse (you're right, it must be fast blow), but I don't have it.  ANYONE?

In any case, I think you need to know the sensitivity (dB at 2.83v at 1 Meter) of your speakers, and perhaps their nominal impedance.  As always, I could be wrong.😁

PWK recommended fusing, but pointed out that no fuse would be fast enough to protect against pulling out, or plugging in an RCA plug with the volume up.

https://community.klipsch.com/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-22082-1381930073028.jpg

As far your ears are concerned, most people are about 3 dB more conservative than this chart:

Industrial Noise Control -- Occupational Health & Safety