Babes on bass

EmilC

Ronda Smith

Virtuosity, professionalism, experience and charisma are the aces up Ronda Smith's sleeve. Rhonda is an excellent bassist who has not only released great funky solo albums, but has also played with some world class musicians. Rhonda has played with Chaka Khan, Beyonce, T. I., Justin Timberlake and many other great acts.

For 13 years she was part of the lineup of Prince, the blue blood of Black Music. Also on tour was Ronda with string acrobat Jeff Beck, where she served a completely different genre. Absolutely proficient in both slapping and plucking, she sees no reason to favor either technique.

• Like 2

Mohini Dey - no time for Berklee College scholarship

One of the even younger exceptional talents is Mohini Dey, who comes from India. Her talent was recognized early on by her father, bassist Sujoy Dey. Mohini started learning at the legendary age of 3. And as a 10-year-old she was in the studio and played on stages. Gigs at jazz festivals, work with Dave Weckl, and several fusion greats followed. Monini Dey can also be heard on an album by the string wizard Steve Vai. By the way, she was offered a scholarship to Berklee College of Music. She didn't have time, was already too busy musically. Unbelievable what Mohini delivers on the bass.

• Like 2

Carol Kaye - the grande dame of the bass

The absolute phenomenon on the bass par excellence is Carol Kaye. Everyone has heard her. As a studio musician she has recorded so many top hits that it would be beyond the scope of this article to list them all. Simon & Garfunkel, Barbara Streisand, The Beach Boys, Neil Diamond, Sam Cooke, the list of artists whose songs the living legend has recorded is simply endless.As a member of the Wrecking Crew, she laid the foundation for modern bass playing. Actually, she was a guitarist and only took up the bass because there was a need for a man - or rather a woman. Instead of playing with her fingers, as had been customary until then, Carol played with a pick. And that was completely new and trend-setting at that time. In total, the grande dame of the bass has made about 10,000 recordings. Carol is now 85 years old. We bow before so much musicality:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Carol Kaye - the grande dame of the bass

The absolute phenomenon on the bass par excellence is Carol Kaye. Everyone has heard her. As a studio musician she has recorded so many top hits that it would be beyond the scope of this article to list them all. Simon & Garfunkel, Barbara Streisand, The Beach Boys, Neil Diamond, Sam Cooke, the list of artists whose songs the living legend has recorded is simply endless.As a member of the Wrecking Crew, she laid the foundation for modern bass playing. Actually, she was a guitarist and only took up the bass because there was a need for a man - or rather a woman. Instead of playing with her fingers, as had been customary until then, Carol played with a pick. And that was completely new and trend-setting at that time. In total, the grande dame of the bass has made about 10,000 recordings. Carol is now 85 years old. We bow before so much musicality:

Hello George my Friend ... you are spot on ... Carol Kaye is virtually unknown to many; but she is one of the best bassists out there.  She was part of the famed Wrecking Crew back in the 60s and has played on more hits than one can count. There is a nice video on YouTube of her trying to teach Kiss' Gene Simmons a bass line. That woman has serious musical skills and I commend you for knowing who she is.  I didn't know of her until my friend, who has been playing bass for about 50 years told me about her.  Sorry for regurgitating some of the info you provided ... I wrote my reply before reading all that you wrote. Carol is near the top of my list.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Emile said:

OK; 5 string bass guitar :)  Did not even know about these :) Googled and found out there are 5 and 6 string bass guitars. :) 

You're impressed with 6-string basses?  Clearly, you haven't heard the Chapman Stick, invented by Mister Chapman.  It can have 10 strings or more, and is played by tapping.  Tony Levin demonstrates and explains it here:

• Like 2