CF3 Series 1 Crossover caps suggestions

srowe

Hey guys,

I just just acquired a set of CF3 version 1 that just don't sound quite clear.  Drums, mid bass and cymbals sound ok -cymbals a little hot but voices nasally, midrange and voices sound very recessed overall.  The drivers are in good shape and do not distort so I dont think the issue is there.  This is in both speakers and have tried multiple upstream amps, preamps and integrateds.  I am going to line the back of the horns with dynamat.  Any other mods suggested?  I have read about bracing etc but they are solid as a rock.  I have some Forte II that I did Crites Crossovers and Ti tweeter diaphragms and braced- because I could get in easy- and they sound amazing.  Looking to recap these and just wondering what caps you all would suggest for what look like poly caps underneath the top shelf, and what looks like electrolytics on the top shelf.  (These are stacked on top of one another on the terminal cup)  The values of the top are 40uf 100v 5%, and 25uf 100v 5%.  The caps below are 4.0uf 250DC, 3.25uf 250DC and 15uf 250DC. After all the glowing reviews,  I just cant imagine that these CF3 V1s should sound like this and I am hoping a recap will help.  Looks like sonicaps gen 1 have the correct values, but would you replace the electrolytics with film caps or put some modern erse lytics in there?  or does anyone have experience with something that worked well for you?  Let me know what you think.  Thanks in advance!!

Top.jpgBottom.png