RP-280F vs RP-600Ms, who has heard both?

psykoticboss

If I have the option of spending a little money and trading my 600s for a pair of RP-280Fs, is that going to be a huge upgrade thats worth it?

I do have a sub on the way, so my low end will be greatly covered(15" sub).

Is it still worth it to upgrade to the towers? Is there anyone here who would say the 600s + 15" sub is actually better? I do not want to spend money to downgrade.

For what its worth, I do like the look of the 600s on nice stands. Simple and elegant. But if yall say the RP-280 will sound WAY better, I may do the upgrade.

One last question, Klipsch site says underpowering can damage them. I have a Yamaha S-501 85 watts per channel. Is that plenty of power? Will it underpower the towers at all? They are 150(CONT) and 600(Peak).

3 hours ago, psykoticboss said:

If I have the option of spending a little money and trading my 600s for a pair of RP-280Fs, is that going to be a huge upgrade thats worth it?

Yes huge upgrade if not using a subwoofer.  Not as much with subwoofer but still an upgrade.

In a small room, the RP600s/subwoofer may even image better.  

3 hours ago, psykoticboss said:

One last question, Klipsch site says underpowering can damage them. I have a Yamaha S-501 85 watts per channel. Is that plenty of power? Will it underpower the towers at all? They are 150(CONT) and 600(Peak).

In a large room with continuous high volumes(loud), a beefier amp may be needed to get the best out of the RP-280Fs.

Bill

On 7/15/2021 at 4:46 AM, willland said:

Yes huge upgrade if not using a subwoofer.  Not as much with subwoofer but still an upgrade.

In a small room, the RP600s/subwoofer may even image better.  

In a large room with continuous high volumes(loud), a beefier amp may be needed to get the best out of the RP-280Fs.

Bill

Hey Bill!

Thank you for helping me. So I went and demo'd these RP-280F(actually ended up being RP-280FAs)..

At first we realized the jumpers were missing so I made some makeshift ones connecting the blacks to blacks and reds to reds on each speaker.

Also I was using a record player as the input so it may have caused some distortion.

However I got to say something sounded way off. It was like the tweeter was damaged? Or maybe the cables were messed up?

Not only did the sound not sound as clear as my bookshelfs, but the tweeters were making trumpets and voices sound very squeaky and like the voices had inhaled some helium if that makes sense. Definitely did not sound right. The woofers sounded alot more normal.

So with that being said it could be the record player, or it could be my makeshift jumpers, but does anything ring a bell for why they didn't sound as clear and why the tweeters were making the highs sound like that? I talked him down to 500 for the 280-fa pair and the rp-450C center. Awesome deal and they look cosmetically perfect. Hoping its something in the setup thats causing the issue. 

• Like 1

Okay so update I got back home and plugged the record player into my 600s. I am hearing the same really tweeters and the distortion. So that is being introduced by the record player.

I am going to take my grounding plates tomorrow and test out the 280FAs again with proper Klipsch grounding plates and a digital source to take record player out of equation. 

Unfortunately the serial number checker is down on the klipsch site so no way to tell when they were bought.

I will update tomorrow.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, psykoticboss said:

Okay so update I got back home and plugged the record player into my 600s. I am hearing the same really tweeters and the distortion. So that is being introduced by the record player.

Good to know.  I did not think the RP280FAs were the culprit.

10 hours ago, psykoticboss said:

Unfortunately the serial number checker is down on the klipsch site so no way to tell when they were bought.

I would not worry too much about that.  Unless the speakers were abused, passive speaker designs usually never fail or take decades to decline in sound quality due to aging capacitors.

Bill