Tips/tricks for veneering Lascala bins?

I've been gratified by the responses I've had to my posts asking for information to help me figure out how to repair and refinish my 1986 Lascalas.

Several people have suggested adding 1/4" to 1/2" panels to the sides of the cabinets. I'm inclined to proceed with that, and will also put a panel on the top and a piece of panel (as a "lip") on the bottom for cosmetic appearance. That way the speaker will appear to be of uniform thickness on all sides. If suitable panels are available with attractive veneers, great; otherwise I'll veneer them.

But I'm unsure of how to proceed with the interior of the speakers (where the doghouse is). There I'd only want to apply thin veneer --- no extra panels. However, I'm puzzling over how to do it since it's not obvious to me how to clamp the veneer when its installed. I don't think the doghouse can be removed, so that the veneer would have to be applied with it in place.

What have others done when veneering Lascala bins? I'd really like to benefit from any lessons learned, tips, and/or tricks.

Thank-you,

Dave MacKay

near Toronto, Canada

Corner and filler on top.JPG

Front view.JPG

• Like 1

I just completed mine, went with the 1/2 mdf on all sides including on the floor of the tweeter and squaker box area. Yes there is enough room. I also added 1/2 mdf to the bottom of the speaker. 

Be aware the Live Sound we all like from the La Scala's is changed as the cabinet no longer vibrates. But the new sound is much more refined, all the other characteristics of La Scala stay the same. I would imagine that if you had the latest version of La Scala's with 1 inch MDF and older La Scala's with 1/2 mdf added in the same room they would be very similar.

the dog house is where you need to fine veneer talent. we used sand bags and other weights for the 24 hour glue time, it is a time consuming pain, BTW small hands help

Behind the dog house is a open space  I choose to paint it semi gloss black prior to the new veneer being applied made the process much easier and looks great. I also painted the back of the speaker semi gloss black  no one generally see's this area.

BTW the veneer process takes 3 sheets of 4X8 veneer  my maple was $60.00 per sheet

Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

You need to use a contact cement glue.

1. Make up templates from thin cardboard material for all the sections you need to cover.

2. Make sure the templates are exactly correct before you cut the veneer.

3. Cut the veneer to size from the templates.

4. Apply contact adhesive to one area & line up veneer to one of the edges & then gradually lay the veneer into position. 

I did these in this fashion & although very tricky to do, the result was pretty good. 

La Scalas FIni 002.jpg

IMG-30.jpeg

IMG-34.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, sootshe said:

You need to use a contact cement glue.

1. Make up templates from thin cardboard material for all the sections you need to cover.

2. Make sure the templates are exactly correct before you cut the veneer.

3. Cut the veneer to size from the templates.

4. Apply contact adhesive to one area & line up veneer to one of the edges & then gradually lay the veneer into position.

Great Advice , tx you

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, babadono said:

How's about iron on veneer? When I get a round tuit that is how I am going to do my raw Jube cabinets. The iron on is much more forgiving than contact cement.

this is the glue:https://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Better-Bond-Heat-Lock-Veneer-Glue.html

check out all the good info on this site

Yes, I agree, the iron on is far easier to use, but very difficult to get into all those tight spots around the dog-house. 

• Thanks 1

I just used cherry veneer on the outside.....by the way that will also stiffen up the side panels all by itself. No need to add 1/4 inch stuff. But the dog house I just stained and it matched pretty well. I also veneered the motor board and put magnets behind the veneer to hold on the grills. In this pic only mootr board and edges are veneered.IMAG0326.thumb.jpg.378b4f01182745aa65692cb92cab1556.jpgAlso the sides are so stiff now you cant even move them but i did put a few screws into the sides under the veneer. 

• Thanks 1