Crotch Walnut SMAHL's

Dave A

I bought some northern Crotch Walnut slabs recently that have been dried properly. One of the things I wanted to see was how dense the northern wood was compared to the Tennessee wood. I am pretty amazed at the patterns you can get and just now starting to cut fancy pattern wood. One of my conclusions was the engraving on the top kind of breaks up the wood pattern and so for a while I am cutting these without the engraving.   Bottom two pics have Watco Rejuvenating Oil on them and the top two pics are bare wood. Yes before someone asks the shoulder at the clamp plate goes away when I loosen the screws and move the clamp plate. It is late and a long day and it is what it is.

The more I play with wood the more it excites me with the never ending variety.😁 Or when you cut into something you cant see from the outside that trashes it.😬

Set 2 B.JPG

Set 2 A.JPG

Set 1 B.JPG

Set 1 A.JPG

• Like 10

Dave
Could you use some walnut that’s 3/4” thick?
Maybe you can run them though a planner and glue them together to get the thickness you need. I have about 800lbs of this wood, they are anywhere from 12” up to 48” long
I’ll send you some for testing if you want to give it a try
These are from a private charter school in Orlando Florida , they changed out the basketball court and I was able to fill my truck bed up with some of it
I’ll post some photos of this wood later today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Those look great. The veneer mill where I work buys only logs from the north. It's a lot tighter grain and makes for a lot better product. 

Better in person as you can imagine. I can see the value to northern logs now.

2 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

Dave
Maybe you can run them though a planner and glue them together to get the thickness you need. I have about 800lbs of this wood, they are anywhere from 12” up to 48” long
These are from a private charter school in Orlando Florida , they changed out the basketball court and I was able to fill my truck bed up with some of it

How wide? Is this tongue and groove flooring?

Tossing around freestanding ideas today. I don't really like the stand I came up with as rendered. It might look better in walnut in person but the main thing is the SMAHL itself. It will have two helicoiled holes on each side for 1/4 20 bolts and whatever bolts to it according to what tinkerers come up with will work. What I intend is something that can tilt forward too and when I get something esthetically pleasing to me I will post it. In the mean time here is some screen captures.

freestanding 2.JPG

freestanding 1.JPG

• Like 1

Dave

This wood is 2.5” wide and 1” thick. The 1” is at the smallest for the thickness of each board. As each board has a rib gone down at that makes it thicker than 1 inch. But if you’re playing off those ribs then it will be 1 inch thick by 2 1/2 inches wide
7620bf34ef529b137a3f6927b6e86462.jpg
1ba91b4272138016ef5081f88f0db73d.jpg
48d30ebfa1e40aa909dac63780fb134c.jpg
fa8a08b30f1d974578c4ee8921d8eb92.jpg
13cf384aa160e499a9b87b85e0965f8f.jpg
2bed1de41bfb7b9832789fea6deec92e.jpg
6117ad83425545bc964f85fa70bb2b2d.jpg
6fa66fb9ddb43ad512284fb015378123.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

This wood is 2.5” wide and 1” thick. The 1” is at the smallest for the thickness of each board. As each board has a rib gone down at that makes it thicker than 1 inch. But if you’re playing off those ribs then it will be 1 inch thick by 2 1/2 inches wide

Thanks Carl but those would not be usable. I am thinking that that is Beech wood also as it made really good gymnasium floors and was in wide use for that at one time. The grain does not look right for Walnut.

Your right, it’s not walnut. I’m so stupid sometimes, lol. It’s Hard Maple. I did have a small amount of walnut and I sold that lot to a local wood shop. I don’t know why I thought it was walnut. The stamp on the back ( MFMA )
Tells that is maple used for hard floors
Sorry about my confusion

OK working on the mill today and I have the first set of freestanding SMAHL's , horn set only no stand, done. The space past each end of the clamp plate is 5/8" wide and the helicoil screw holes centered at 5/16" in from ends. I am liking these wood lenses without the engraving and tip of the hat to @cecaa850 for the idea. Still going to cut the aluminum ones with engraving though.

Freestand K77 1.JPG

freestand K77 2.JPG

• Like 7

On 7/24/2021 at 7:14 AM, AndreG. said:

Dave, all we need now are horns for our KV55s! This will probably won´t come anytime soon, but it´s a nice thought...

I'll see what I can do to push Dave in that direction..............further!

• Like 2