Wiring In-Wall Speakers

Sam S.

Hi -- Seemingly a basic question I'm struggling with. I recently scored some free in wall speakers and want to add these to the sides in my basement. One side of the room is no problem, as the wall backs to a utility area that has easy access. The other side is more problematic, but I have access to the ceiling joist opening from the utility area, but here's my question---If I open the area to put the in wall speaker in, what is the best way to run the wire. I know I can run it down, and then under the baseboards, but then I'd have to carefully take these off, and hopefully not re-paint afterwards. Going up the wall and then across the joists makes more sense, but it looks like there's a header at the top, so that appears to be a roadblock.

How do people typically run this?

Thanks!

Hi -- Seemingly a basic question I'm struggling with. I recently scored some free in wall speakers and want to add these to the sides in my basement. One side of the room is no problem, as the wall backs to a utility area that has easy access. The other side is more problematic, but I have access to the ceiling joist opening from the utility area, but here's my question---If I open the area to put the in wall speaker in, what is the best way to run the wire. I know I can run it down, and then under the baseboards, but then I'd have to carefully take these off, and hopefully not re-paint afterwards. Going up the wall and then across the joists makes more sense, but it looks like there's a header at the top, so that appears to be a roadblock.

How do people typically run this?

Thanks!
You could always use wire track. Sometimes an eyesore but it can be painted

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

Not sure what the top plate is like on your wall framing, but say its just a 2x4 and then into the joist that are accessible.  One could cut the hole to run a flexible drill bit designed for this sort of thing, then fish a magnet up into the ceiling, catch it on the other side of the ceiling drywall and drag it down to the opening on the other side.  

Thanks, The Dude. I've thought about that. I believe it's a 2x4. I think if I cut the hole for the speaker, I can look up in there to see for sure. Plan B could be carefully taking off the baseboard and running it down underneath. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything in the planning stage.