1976 consecutive Cornwalls For 1K

MacWorks

If you are looking at the set for sale in Connecticut this morning, I think they look like a very clean set for the money.  Personally I would listen to and make a decision before buying any new parts.  Still kicking myself for not buying the $1,000 set down the street from my house a month or so back.  

• Like 1

The mid horn was the letdown for the cornwall for me, but over all I really enjoyed them while I had them and would not hesitate to purchase a cosmetically nice pair at that price point.  With prices as they have been, it's money in the bank.  I purchased my pair for $750, cleaned them up, enjoyed them for a year and sold them for $1200 a couple years ago.  They are quite capable and probably the most room and amplifier agnostic of the Heritage series.  A fun all-around speaker to own.

• Like 2

Since you are already considering "improving" the sound, save your money and either build a set of Cornscalas or purchase Cornwall IVs. Once a series one Cornwall owner and now a Cornwall IV owner, I enjoy both and if I never had the money purchase the IVs, I would have been happy with my unmodified ones for the rest of my life. 

• Like 1

If you want to keep original drivers I definitely prefer what was in Cornwall I (k55/k77, those which where used in La Scalas and KHorns continuously). If you want swaps then it does not matter, cheaper will be better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 4:01 AM, MacWorks said:

I have an opportunity to purchase a pair for $1,000. What would I purchase from Crites to improve performance?

Thank you

I'd prefer the originals over the II's personally as there's good upgrades available for the I's; Crites A55-g mid drivers and Crites CT-120 tweeters-- those two improvements elevate the quality of the speaker by quite a bit IMO. As far as crossovers go I'd be tempted to try the fairly new, Klipsch approved vendor for parts or a rebuild or the Crites Sonicaps work well too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MacWorks said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Per request, here they are. (note the sump pump )

I cleaned up the motorboard with some Watco Wood Rejuvenator.

- cane grills are a bit rough with some staining

- usual veneer issues as pictured and elsewhere

you can steam -clean the cane grilles -For scratches

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/minwax-wood-finish-stain-marker?itemCatentryId=13562

• 2 weeks later...