Thoughts on KP-301?

Amphicar

Could I hear some opinions on KP-301’s?  A set recently came for sale near me and was tempted to buy, but did not know a ton about them so didn’t bite.  I own Heresy II’s and LSI Splits, as my points of Klipsch reference.  Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Amphicar said:

Could I hear some opinions on KP-301’s?  A set recently came for sale near me and was tempted to buy, but did not know a ton about them so didn’t bite.  I own Heresy II’s and LSI Splits, as my points of Klipsch reference.  Thanks in advance!

What was the condition and price? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Amphicar said:

prominent bass and crisp clear Mids and HF when driven with a clean SS power amp  , and a  uniform sound  across the power band  -

Great pro version of the Chorus speaker. 200 watt rated where the Chorus is 100 watt. I prefer the KP-301 I over the KP-301 II but both are really good and not easy to come by. The KP-301 I is my favorite old smaller Klipsch speaker.

In comparison the Heresy is a nice book shelf speaker with no bottom end even remotely close to the 301's. The LS is more efficient and again no bottom end anywhere close to the 301. To me with a little work the 301 is much more musical than the Ls Scala. I have gone through a bunch of older Klipsch and one of the very few I regret selling was an older cloth grilled KP-301 I that ended up with a musician from Nashville.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

What was the condition and price? 

$500, had a bunch of multicolor spray paint on the cabs, I think needed new grill cloth as well.  They were 4-5 hours each way, so I was mulling it over and they sold (of course at that price.)

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

Great pro version of the Chorus speaker. 200 watt rated where the Chorus is 100 watt. I prefer the KP-301 I over the KP-301 II but both are really good and not easy to come by. The KP-301 I is my favorite old smaller Klipsch speaker.

In comparison the Heresy is a nice book shelf speaker with no bottom end even remotely close to the 301's. The LS is more efficient and again no bottom end anywhere close to the 301. To me with a little work the 301 is much more musical than the Ls Scala. I have gone through a bunch of older Klipsch and one of the very few I regret selling was an older cloth grilled KP-301 I that ended up with a musician from Nashville.

Thanks for the response!  I am blown away with the musical quality of the LS, but after a few months I agree the bottom end is lacking somewhat.  Same with the heresy, though I think the volume capabilities and bass response of the Heresy are better suited for each other.  I’d be very curious to hear how a 301, I’ll try harder in pursuit of the set I located near me…

13 minutes ago, Amphicar said:

Thanks for the response!  I am blown away with the musical quality of the LS, but after a few months I agree the bottom end is lacking somewhat.  Same with the heresy, though I think the volume capabilities and bass response of the Heresy are better suited for each other.  I’d be very curious to hear how a 301, I’ll try harder in pursuit of the set I located near me…

Just pair a good sub with your LS.  It'll sound like a completely different (better) speaker.

14 minutes ago, Amphicar said:

I haven’t ever owned a sub, I see them for sale all the time but don’t know where to begin.

Post what you see in your area and we can help you spend your money.  Its tough to beat a LS and a sub. 

5 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Not with that small of a footprint.

I have two sets coming in soon and I can tell you that one of them won't go away this time. I just might use my keeper set for my PC speakers since they are small enough😁.

8 hours ago, Dave A said:

I have two sets coming in soon and I can tell you that one of them won't go away this time. I just might use my keeper set for my PC speakers since they are small enough😁.

Can't wait to hear them.