First Klipsch Recommendations

TubesGlo

I need help deciding on my first Klipsch speakers. I've never heard anything vintage or in the Heritage series. My current towers were custom built by Source Technologies, are 3-way 8" woofer, 7" Seas mid bass driver and 1" silk dome tweet, 90db sensitivity. I've run them 20 years with a tube preamp and a modified Hafler 500. I recently overhauled a Dynakit ST-70 with a new replacement factory style circuit board and use the original Mullard EL34's which test like new. I have no desire to go back to solid state. System is detailed, dynamic and a great pleasure to listen to. I have a dedicated, acoustically treated listening room 14' wide x 22' deep, 8' ceilings. Speakers are 3' off back wall and centered 3.5' off side walls. Seating position is centered 8' from speakers. I can't sit further back because my drum kit is on a riser behind me. I listen to jazz primarily for upwards of 2 hours almost every night at moderate to slightly higher but not concert levels, roughly 70-85db average. I don't know if I would ever have considered Klipsch prior to owning a tube amp because I always thought in critical hi-fi listening they were best suited for tubes. I'm interested in the upper end, either Heresy or Cornwall. I have no dealers anywhere close to me that carry these so I'm reaching out for recommendations based on my equipment, room and musical taste. I don't want my speakers to sound like a PA system only suitable for extreme high volume, party levels. I want detail, smooth rich mids, high frequencies not harsh or sharp and full clean bass. I know Heresy's don't produce the lowest of frequencies but I think they'd be low enough for me. After updating my amp with a new quad cap can and better caps on the new board  my bass response is plenty deep and tight. I appreciate any of you that own either of these speakers with similar gear helping me make an informed decision.

Thank You

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

When you say Cornwall, is the IV in your budget or are you looking at used speakers?

Heresy  is in my budget new, Cornwall would be used. I wouldn't be opposed to used Heresy II or III for that matter.

• Like 1

Unless you are prepared to use a sub(s) with the Heresy, I think your best bet is a pair of used Cornwalls.  Your room is about the perfect size for this speaker. And the best part is, you don't need them 3 ft. into the room. My room is similar in size to yours and I find they sound best about 20" off the wall. Look to spend around 1-1.5K for a pair in pretty good shape. Of course this depends on your location.

Shakey

• Like 2

Welcome to the Forum @TubesGlo!  Bang for your buck I'd go for new Cornwalls.  It's prolly the best option even if you scrounge for money to get them.  Hahaha  Even though you don't want a "PA" sound you might just wind up with LS either new or used too.  Maybe both.  I think the Cornwalls would sound great though. 

These guys in here are on to something so stick around,  Slip into "vinyl spinning" or Right This Minute and share or even youtube spinning.  You're into the tech/geeky side there's that too.  Great place but the end result is on you.  Great crew here and I've learned a lot since I've been here.

Bbl, gotta yell at the neighbor kids to get them outta my yard again.  😂  😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Unless you are prepared to use a sub(s) with the Heresy, I think your best bet is a pair of used Cornwalls.  Your room is about the perfect size for this speaker. And the best part is, you don't need them 3 ft. into the room. My room is similar in size to yours and I find they sound best about 20" off the wall. Look to spend around 1-1.5K for a pair in pretty good shape. Of course this depends on your location.

Shakey

I'd snag a pair at that price but no one wants to ship these. I live in MA. and nothing around here.

• Like 1

Well, it depends if you are in a hurry and If you are comfortable buying used. 

My last place was 11 ft wide (and 27 deep). I had Jubilees in that room and the sound was fantastic. Klipshorns would also work (they do need corners or false corners). 

These two models become affordable when they are on the used market and will sound considerably better than many of the suggestions above (IMHO). 

Good luck, 

-Tom

• Like 2

So I drove over 2 hrs each way to the nearest Heritage dealer. They have all IV series on display.. I listened to Heresy's and if I stopped there I would've been content. Next listened to Forte and finally Cornwalls which are wonderful but way above my budget. The Forte sounds like a great compromise between the two with the extra depth in the lower registers that would negate the need for a subwoofer as I feel the Heresy may need but maybe not. There's actually a used pair of Forte II's in good shape near me which would cost 25% of new and I'd be happy with that even if I had to put money into crossover upgrades. Any thoughts on Forte II and their fit with my room and gear?

Thanks 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, TubesGlo said:

a used pair of Forte II's in good shape near me which would cost 25% of new

Might be perfect (and the right price) at your listening levels. But, I am not a big Forte fan ... tried to match them with K-510 horns and the Forte's were just "anemic." Haha; sold the Forte's. Think Heresies are too small for your room. Cornwall's or Khorns would be much better :) Have Heresies as "sides" and CW's as "rears" (with pro speakers as L/R) in a similar size room,  so yes; familiar with them.

As an alternative, I suggest you look at CF3/4's - perfect for jazz :) 

Add-on ... Epic info at 

• Like 2

My room is 15.5 ft wide and I think it needed to be another couple of ft wider to truly accommodate khorns. Don’t get me wrong, they sounded great. But they crossed too far in front of the listening position for my liking. And moving closer negatively impacted integration of the drivers. So I never thought I heard them at their best. Cornwalls are a better fit for my room.

Forte II can sound really good. But I would hold out for a pair of used cornwalls, or save up for the CW IV. That could very well be your end game speaker.

Shakey

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

My room is 15.5 ft wide and I think it needed to be another couple of ft wider to truly accommodate khorns. Don’t get me wrong, they sounded great. But they crossed too far in front of the listening position for my liking. And moving closer negatively impacted integration of the drivers. So I never thought I heard them at their best. Cornwalls are a better fit for my room.

Forte II can sound really good. But I would hold out for a pair of used cornwalls, or save up for the CW IV. That could very well be your end game speaker.

Shakey

Yeah, I've too often made purchases only wishing I'd stepped up for what I knew I really wanted but didn't want to spend the extra money on at the time. This was especially the case when I bought a Dyna and should've gone for the Road King which I did 10 years later 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TubesGlo said:

Yeah, I've too often made purchases only wishing I'd stepped up for what I knew I really wanted but didn't want to spend the extra money on at the time. This was especially the case when I bought a Dyna and should've gone for the Road King which I did 10 years later 🤔

Lol, well I bought a sportster when I should have bought a Fatboy. It only took me six months to correct that error. And only another year to move up to a Street Glide. 😆

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Lol, well I bought a sportster when I should have bought a Fatboy. It only took me six months to correct that error. And only another year to move up to a Street Glide. 😆

You'll laugh at this...had the Road King for 1 year and traded it for a new Indian Chief Vintage....based solely on looks. Still have it and seriously looking at a Street Glide now. That decision will be more difficult than choosing my next speakers.

• Like 1

Yes, the used Forte II's would be a bargain and exceed all your needs, in spades. Get them if you can and you won't regret it.

And if you're referring to the Forte's in Dorchester, I would say get 'em. I see some chips in the veneer near the bases, but if you're more interested in the sound you can ignore them, and the veneer can be easily repaired or patched later on if you want.

• Like 2

If you are patient you can find some really nice stuff on CL or US Audiomart...  if you can afford new Heresy you can probably find a pair of Forte III for a good price.

I've had a pair of Forte IV since February and I am loving them.   I am all over New England for work, if I see a nice pair of Heritage in my travels, I will PM you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve. said:

If you are patient you can find some really nice stuff on CL or US Audiomart...  if you can afford new Heresy you can probably find a pair of Forte III for a good price.

I've had a pair of Forte IV since February and I am loving them.   I am all over New England for work, if I see a nice pair of Heritage in my travels, I will PM you.

That would be great, Thanks

• Like 1

Each Heritage Speaker is a different design philosophy,

all are great with their own personality

- Heresy 1-4 are great compared to anything, you can add a sub if you like a lot of thumping. Place up on end tables so mid is ear level.

- Cornwall 2s or later are ported, larger cabinets and drive lower, same mid horn as Heresy early models, later IDK

- Forte 2s are sleepers, great speaker, passive rear radiators, somewhat placement sensitive

- LaScala fully horn loaded, down to 400hz in the mid, best female vocals of any speaker I have heard,  any....Place almost anywhere. Mid is at ear level. Great efficiency 104db + -. If you want thumping, add a sub, I almost never use my sub.

- K-horns, same mid as LaScala, drive very low, very room and placement sensitive, mid horn is well above ear level sitting. Designed for mono one speaker systems placed in a corner.

I would score the Forte 2s near you and see how you react to them. Same goes for a pair of Heresys any generation.

Your next car may be a pair of LaScalas

Either here of on the AK forum we had a couple of guys who were hesitant about spouse approval on some used LaScalas. Turns out wifey listened to them all day while they were at work and told them the LaScalas would only leave the house over their dead bodies.....true love.

• Like 2