Horn for Kp-904?

Amphicar

Hello, what horn should a KP-904 have on top? Found some bass bins but they do not have a Klipsch horn on top, but he has a pile of JBL 2418H-1 horns.  Would these have been matched up like this at the theatre?  Would I want to look for a replacement from Klipsch or would this give proper sound.  Thanks for reading my rambling questions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amphicar said:

has a pile of JBL 2418H-1 horns

Those are drivers, not horns. Can you post a pic of what they are attached to? The driver can be crossed at about 1500Hz.  No idea on ho well they would work with the 904s. Klipsch crosses over from the woofer at 900Hz, I think. That would be a big gap...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Amphicar said:

what horn should a KP-904 have on top?

My KPT-904's also have the K-510 horn with K691 drivers, but pretty sure they came in different configurations up to a triple horn (incl a K-402). For some more info, see catalog below.

The JBL horns are just as good and easier (and cheaper) to find. Just decide on how big a horn you want - haha; bigger is better :) The JBL 4670 is "their" version of the Klipsch KPT-904 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/313603691435?hash=item49043c93ab:g:i0EAAOSwVi9fmalK 

Note; the Klipsch K691 driver is a 2 inch (or larger??) driver. (Again; bigger is better :) ) The JBL 2418H is a smaller and cheaper driver (street price $200) - not sure if it will be "enough" for the bass bins. As @Marvel said; BIG gap on the frequency response.

Klipsch-Professional-Cinema-Catalog.pdf

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Amphicar said:

Here is a picture of the driver in the horn

Yes; they are used in smaller horns/speakers such as the JBL Eon15.  Pretty sure they will NOT be a good match for the KPT-904's :( 

• Like 1

Okay, good to know.  I didn’t think putting JBL’s on Klipsch seemed right.  Seems like my best option is B&C DE750 from doing more digging and talking to someone else who has done the job.  $300 a piece before buying the 510’s is a bit steep.  What do I do about crossovers?  I just listen to stereo and currently am powering La Scala’s with a Yamaha CA-1010, but will be swapping a Marantz 4300 in its place soon, and was hoping to use that to power the 904s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amphicar said:

before buying the 510’s

1. Haha; good luck finding K-510's. They are $28 from Klipsch but they WIL NOT sell you one :( 

2. If the KPT-904's do not have crossovers, you may need to go the DSP route. The 510 w/ 2" CD can go to about 500Hz.

3. JBL makes many very good drivers and horns that will go great with the 904's. Just make sure you get a 2" CD.

4. Most KPT-904 owners here use more powerful amps for them, such as Crown K1/K2's.

• Like 1

1. I enjoy a challenging hunt (or phone call with klipsch to plead my case)

2. What is the DSP route?

3. I will have to do a little more research on the JBL drivers. 

4. Aren’t they super efficient?  My space is certainly not large enough to need these speakers, its more of a “because I can” thing.  Would a “regular” amp such as the Marantz I mentioned not work for it?  Simplicity is what I am after, I want to be able to plug them into a receiver and start jamming like I can with regular speakers.  

• Like 1

1. Haha ... been there and done that :(  Unless you can provide them with pictures of your "broken" K-510's they WILL NOT sell you any.  About 1-2 years ago, I got very lucky ... ordered six from Klipsch and was shipped four. When I tried to get the other two I was told "Sorry, we made a mistake, we cannot sell these." After pleading for a month, case was elevated to Chief Bonehead (chief engineer Roy) who promised to help (maybe finding used ones :( ) but nothing ever happened. Sold all four at my cost to forum members :) After market ones available at https://www.ebay.com/itm/233808725468 

2. Digital Signal Processor - digital crossover ... as cheap as $100 up to thousands. Example https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4-hd 

3. Many very good drivers available. Good "full range" 2 inch compression driver (e.g., FaitalPRO HF200, HF20AT or HF2000, BMS 4592ND dual diaphragm, Radian 950PB or 950BePB, or Celestion Axi2050, etc.) crossing over at 450 Hz to the bass bin using a DSP crossover.

4. Yes, pretty efficient ( http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/KPT-904-Data-Sheet-v04.pdf ). Used to run them with a Marantz 2252B (52WPC). But, they really come to life when using 400+ Watt amps :) 

What $$ can you get the KPT-904's for? Have/had many Heritage and Pro Klipsch speakers, but NOTHING even comes close to the 904's (OK; there is also a model with 4 woofers :) ). LOVE them. Below is a link on my thread (sorry; most of my pics are "gone"). Do some more searching on this site :) 

• Like 1

1.) Very strange! I’m sure some bizarre corporate rule they’re following.  I’ll see what I can come up with, or aftermarket does not hurt my feelings. 
2.) I’ll have to do some digging, or do you have one you recommend?  The lower cost, the better for me.  
3.) noted 

4.) That makes me feel better, I’d certainly start with the Marantz and keep my eyes open for something with serious power.  
5.) They are $180 a piece, which I think is fair.  It’s kind of a project for me to see how I inexpensively I can get an awesome sound, with prices of La Scala’s and Khorns lately I have to imagine I can do better on my own.  
6.) I’ll have to reread that thread, that is actually the set of speakers that I fell in love with and decided I needed my own! 

• Like 1

The MiniDSP 2x4 HD as listed is the one I recommend. Does the job - note; they also have a $100 "non-HD" version which I have also, but it is "noisy."

Jeez; $180 each ... it's a "no-brainer." A steal if the woofers are good. (Haha; think you can sell the woofers at $200 each :) )

Yeah, your CA-1010 or Marantz will be just fine. Think I even tried them with a Yamaha CR-620 ... OK, but they "shine" with BIG horsepower. 

B&C DE750 I think are good (believe they are the same as the Klipsch K691) and not a bad buy (??) at $300 each. $299 new at Parts Express ... https://www.parts-express.com/B-C-DE750TN-8-2-Titanium-Horn-Driver-8-Ohm-4-Bolt-294-615?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrJKJ2Lr38QIVEp2zCh2-4wv_EAQYASABEgLDyfD_BwE 

So; you can have it working for about $1300 :)  

Or, if you do not want a "project," just found an alternative ... JBL 4722N ... $1080 each at https://www.dihuni.com/product/jbl-professional-4722n-speaker-system-600-w-rms/ (note; NO CLUE if this seller is legit). Think I have even seen these (used) at $650 each. Or you can buy the HF sections of these for about $6-700.

Have fun and CHEERS,

Emile

• Like 2

Emile has given you a lot of useful information, I also owned a pair for several years and loved them but there is always something better......

If you source a stock network I believe it will be about 3db hot on the top end so they can "project" sound better through a theater screen. I would use a mini dsp that Emile suggest that way you can eq the "hotness" out of the top end. It needs a little peq. The bass bins will slam BUT you will need some watts to get those babies jumping. This is why some of us use high power pro amps with such an efficient speaker. When I had mine I used a lower wattage amp on the top end and a crown k2 on the bins with an active crossover to bring it all together.

These are very fine speakers and I have always loved the sparrow it is a great horn. Good luck and enjoy those!

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, rockhound said:

Emile has given you a lot of useful information, I also owned a pair for several years and loved them but there is always something better......

If you source a stock network I believe it will be about 3db hot on the top end so they can "project" sound better through a theater screen. I would use a mini dsp that Emile suggest that way you can eq the "hotness" out of the top end. It needs a little peq. The bass bins will slam BUT you will need some watts to get those babies jumping. This is why some of us use high power pro amps with such an efficient speaker. When I had mine I used a lower wattage amp on the top end and a crown k2 on the bins with an active crossover to bring it all together.

These are very fine speakers and I have always loved the sparrow it is a great horn. Good luck and enjoy those!

Makes sense about the high power.  I’ll play around and see what I can find for how to bring it all together, or maybe contact Crites and see if they can work some magic.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Amphicar said:

The bass bins will slam BUT

Yes; have a 15" sub in the same room - have not used it for at least a year :) 

But, in my opinion, the biggest slam from this system comes from the TWO inch compression drivers. (About 4 times the area as compared to LS and Khorns.)  Got some extra 510/691's and tried to set them up with Forte's.  No matter what I tried, the Forte's just could not keep up with them. Haha; sold the Forte's :)