compression driver for K400 horn 1 inch vs 2 inch

Fast996

I have a pair of 1989 AK2 Khorns with I think the composite K400's. I do not want to change the horns or crossovers. But I do what to move away from the stock CD's. I can keep the originals if I ever want to return them to stock form.

Question....there are a lot of aftermarket choices. I would like to know is there a advantage using a 2 inch throat CD over the 1 inch provided that it could be adapted to the K400?

Does anybody use 2 inch CD's? Thanks

$_57 (2).jpg

I have not seen an adapter to go from a 2" driver to a 1" horn and unless something has changed, its the horn more so than the driver.  Not saying its terrible, but the Atlas driver is very good (assuming yours has the Atlas driver). 

Anyways, move to a 2 inch horn and there are endless possibilities for 2" drivers. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

There are a few slightly better drivers (is that what you mean by CD?  that normally means "Constant Directivity.)  for the K-400.  You can try John Allen's A-55G; it has demonstrated lower distortion.  You probably want to change to a Type AA crossover, or modify your AK2, a little for it.  Your K-55-M is 1 to 2 dB hotter, depending on frequency and driver tolerance.  The K-55-M is a good driver, with few problems.

A driver with a 2" throat is not a good match to a horn with a 0.7" inlet/throat, regardless of the adapter. 

The advantage of a 2" driver is lower distortion at a given dB, outside the likely design and construction precision improvements.  Are you really playing your Klipschorns so loud you can hear squawker distortion?  It is often described as "frying bacon". 

When I first bought my used LaScala's, I thought they sounded great. I had read many threads here on the forum about the K400 (metal) horn not being the best, but I could not hear the "harshness" that was discussed. After many hours of listening, especially at high(er) listening levels, I began to hear the harshness. Now even at lower levels, I can clearly detect the sound of the K400 (metal) horn. It's not totally unlistenable, but it does have a forward character to it. 

My LaScala's were DJ speakers and fairly beat up, but the original drivers were in good shape. When I get around to refurbishing the cabinets, I am going to change the K400 and tweeter out.  

If you want to experiment, I would go with a different horn, not driver. If you go with a different driver you will more than likely have to change or modify the crossover. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought Al's Extreme Slope Cross Overs. I didn't care for the K55m driver much. First thing I did was purchase Crites A/4500hz crossover and CT120. Sound was much improved, probably due to 30 year old caps in the original xover and getting rid of the K77s. But the muddled mid-range was still there. Next I bought a pair of wood horns from Greg Roberts, again the sound improved, the muddled mid-range seemed to be pushed further back in the sound stage but it was still there. After installing Al's ESS and the BMS driver. Everything sounds great. Took awhile to get the auto-transformer set correctly but the complete mod of the KHorns was worth the money. My total investment was more than 9 grand less than a pair of AK6s, including the price I paid for the speakers new. 

The K55-M drivers may appeal to some but I like seeing them sitting on my workbench. If there are better mid-range drivers than the 4592s I haven't run across them. I'm not into spending more money in the near future, but if better technology comes along I will consider it.

Since not all recordings are done by the same tech or sound boards, I have a parametric EQ that I use to make adjustments. I use a PC as a music source and control via remote desktop.

On 7/22/2021 at 1:16 PM, Fast996 said:

I have a pair of 1989 AK2 Khorns with I think the composite K400's. I do not want to change the horns or crossovers. But I do what to move away from the stock CD's.

-you can use  the  K691 ( B&C DE75) , the driver is used for the klipsch Jubilee  in a 2 or 3 way , with  the adapter  shown --

Klipsch K-691 Compression Drivers - Audio Asylum Traderimage.jpeg.e7c10ca5bcb390b45f85c8e070719fb5.jpeg

2 minutes ago, babadono said:

A 2" driver squished down by some adapter to then fit a 1" throat horn? Why? Can't possibly sound good. IMHO.

the op wants to keep the k401

On 7/22/2021 at 1:16 PM, Fast996 said:

. I do not want to change the horns But I do what to move away from the stock CD's.