Repair help for blown amp on a sub 10 synergy

pikequest1

Hey guys I am new to this forum and have had fairly old Klipsch gear from my family from a while back. I have used this sub 10 synergy for a while now and this year it finally just gave out. I have a strong indication the amp panel on the back is blown and it sounds to be a common thing after reading up on this issue. The sub itself is in great condition and after seeing they are still worth a good deal of money online I want to try and fix it rather than throwing out what is most likely not a super complicated repair. I was wondering if anyone on hear can point in me in the direction of where to get this repaired or if anyone on here fixes this amps for these subwoofers. any recommendations would be great. Thanks!

There is a member of this forum who posted about his hobby of repairing Klipsch subwoofer amps. You could try sending him a PM through the forum.

Another option is to try eBay. Type "Klipsch subwoofer amp repair" and there is at least one firm that results.

I'd be more inclined to give the forum member a shot because of their effort to create the blog.

Lastly, if you want to try to repair it yourself, there are a lot of youtube videos on the subject.

Let the forum know what you do, and if you were satisfied with the results.

On 7/22/2021 at 2:18 PM, pikequest1 said:

Hey guys I am new to this forum and have had fairly old Klipsch gear from my family from a while back. I have used this sub 10 synergy for a while now and this year it finally just gave out. I have a strong indication the amp panel on the back is blown and it sounds to be a common thing after reading up on this issue. The sub itself is in great condition and after seeing they are still worth a good deal of money online I want to try and fix it rather than throwing out what is most likely not a super complicated repair. I was wondering if anyone on hear can point in me in the direction of where to get this repaired or if anyone on here fixes this amps for these subwoofers. any recommendations would be great. Thanks!

you can do the repair yourself , the defective parts are usually the capacitors and the expense is very low  -

15 -16 years is also pretty much the lifespan of the components of any subwoofer amplifier -

you can also use the subwoofer without the  sub  amplifier   as a passive subwoofer by rewiring with binding posts and with  power from  an external amplifier

On 7/23/2021 at 3:57 PM, RandyH said:

you can do the repair yourself , the defective parts are usually the capacitors and the expense is very low  -

15 -16 years is also pretty much the lifespan of the components of any subwoofer amplifier -

you can also use the subwoofer without the  sub  amplifier   as a passive subwoofer by rewiring with binding posts and with  power from  an external amplifier

Would you have any references as to what I would look for inside the subwoofer. I have some experience with car wiring and and soldering so I think I could figure it out just don't want to open it up and start messing around with stuff. I just have no clue what I would need to order or even look for inside the back panel to get started. Any info would be great thanks!

1 hour ago, pikequest1 said:

Would you have any references as to what I would look for inside the subwoofer. I have some experience with car wiring and and soldering so I think I could figure it out just don't want to open it up and start messing around with stuff. I just have no clue what I would need to order or even look for inside the back panel to get started. Any info would be great thanks!

Fair enough  --the service manual of the subwoofer is  here -   click  ▶️    direct link  

You can also view this thread -

11 hours ago, pikequest1 said:

there is more often than not a lot more to repairing a blown sub amp or any electrical component than just replacing some capacitors... it requires proper diagnosis to determine what part went bad & WHY it went bad. 

these cheap china made sub amp issues are usually related to things like power supplies going bad, other component failures like transistors, resistors etc,  or most of all bad glue that becomes corrosive/conductive & shorts out the board &/or other components on it. 

im all for learning & doing DIY repairs but aside from obvious visible signs like a bulging capacitor etc,  if you arent familiar with how to diagnose the failure its probably best to send it to a professional. i have used ngen33r on here & he does great work at very affordable prices with a very fast turnaround.  if the sub is worth the cost of repair at ~$125, its well worth having a pro repair it. 

best of luck if you go the DIY route. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 11:22 AM, EpicKlipschFan said:

there is more often than not a lot more to repairing a blown sub amp or any electrical component than just replacing some capacitors... it requires proper diagnosis to determine what part went bad & WHY it went bad. 

these cheap china made sub amp issues are usually related to things like power supplies going bad, other component failures like transistors, resistors etc,  or most of all bad glue that becomes corrosive/conductive & shorts out the board &/or other components on it. 

im all for learning & doing DIY repairs but aside from obvious visible signs like a bulging capacitor etc,  if you arent familiar with how to diagnose the failure its probably best to send it to a professional. i have used ngen33r on here & he does great work at very affordable prices with a very fast turnaround.  if the sub is worth the cost of repair at ~$125, its well worth having a pro repair it. 

best of luck if you go the DIY route. 

I saw his repairs on a few threads. I want to reach out and message him but for some reason I get a error saying I have 0 messages I can send him so I cant pm for repair quotes. Any advice on how to reach out?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pikequest1 said:

I saw his repairs on a few threads. I want to reach out and message him but for some reason I get a error saying I have 0 messages I can send him so I cant pm for repair quotes. Any advice on how to reach out?

Yes, you have 3 posts since you got here. Post 2 more times on the forum here and your PM will be enabled. Would post 3 more for good measure when look at your account. Welcome to the forum!

@pikequest1

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It seems that one of my 2 Sub 10's are having this same issue.  I'd like to find a good replacement board for it.  Can anyone help me?  I don't know how to PM on this forum as I just found it today and, honestly, I don't see myself being a longtime community member.  Honestly, if they aren't easily fixable then I'll probably just buy new ones.

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3248.jpg

IMG_3247.jpg

On 12/23/2022 at 1:38 PM, Joe Snyder said:

Honestly, if they aren't easily fixable then I'll probably just buy new ones.

you need 5 posts to activate the PM function , a good technician can repair these amps ......but   subs are relatively inexpensive , and always on sale or on promo

• 11 months later...