NSFW On bot censoring 'art' on this forum

1 hour ago, The History Kid said:

Your concern as you call it, is moot. 

Allow me to put my concern in the historical context why I feel so strongly about censoring MD:

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/instruments/trumpet/jazz-musician-miles-davis-victim-police-assault/

Now, when I was discussing MD music elsewhere on this forum, I was shocked to discover that in 2021, we still do this to MD. 

5 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I would imagine it's just standard filtering that came with whatever software Klipsch uses for the forum.  I highly doubt a Klipsch committee met and discussed what words would and wouldn't be allowed.

I don't use profanity online or in real life so it's not anything I'd lose sleep over or feel that my rights are being infringed on. 

Back when Amy was here, a word Paul thought was sufficiently useful to have it put on yellow buttons that he would flash when an audio manufacturer would make an outrageous claim, was, indeed, removed and ******* substituted for it.  I complained and Amy said something like, "Perhaps our filters are a bit stringent."  I wondered if management had a "woops" reaction when they realized they had banned one of the Founder's favorite expletives.  Later the word did get through, but most people used euphemisms instead.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 6:54 AM, MeloManiac said:

So... 

I can happily run a forum search on KKK but I cannot for '******* Brew'. 

Hm...

Interesting... 

I'm not sure I want to be associated with the Klipsch brand anymore. I'm going to flag my own post. I want some admin to look at this. 

To my knowledge letters are not banned yet......soon I'm sure cause kids don't know whats good for em'.

11 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

Allow me to put my concern in the historical context why I feel so strongly about censoring MD:

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/instruments/trumpet/jazz-musician-miles-davis-victim-police-assault/

Now, when I was discussing MD music elsewhere on this forum, I was shocked to discover that in 2021, we still do this to MD. 

I said this before in my post that you quoted, so I'll say it again since you missed it.

TO BUILD SOMETHING THAT YOU ARE IMPLYING WOULD TAKE SOURCE CODE APPROXIMATELY THE SIZE OF THE ENTIRE FORUM SOFTWARE ITSELF.

You can not just build something smart by having it check bits and pieces of something, that's not how things work.  You are commenting way above and beyond what your knowledge is able to attain.  It is not practical, feasible, or logical to ship such a system with forum software.  We call that bloatware.  It's garbage.  It creates a bad product.  It also slows down software to the point it impacts user experience far more negatively than the simple find-replace system that's in place.  It's not censoring Miles Davis.  The system doesn't know if it's Miles Davis, or Dave Attell, or some rando on the internet.  It's not smart enough to put those pieces together, and to make it that smart would make it extremely slow processing and take thousands of lines of code and callouts just to work.

Please...think.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 2:36 PM, The History Kid said:

I said this before in my post that you quoted, so I'll say it again since you missed it.

TO BUILD SOMETHING THAT YOU ARE IMPLYING WOULD TAKE SOURCE CODE APPROXIMATELY THE SIZE OF THE ENTIRE FORUM SOFTWARE ITSELF.

You can not just build something smart by having it check bits and pieces of something, that's not how things work.  You are commenting way above and beyond what your knowledge is able to attain.  It is not practical, feasible, or logical to ship such a system with forum software.  We call that bloatware.  It's garbage.  It creates a bad product.  It also slows down software to the point it impacts user experience far more negatively than the simple find-replace system that's in place.  It's not censoring Miles Davis.  The system doesn't know if it's Miles Davis, or Dave Attell, or some rando on the internet.  It's not smart enough to put those pieces together, and to make it that smart would make it extremely slow processing and take thousands of lines of code and callouts just to work.

Please...think.

MeloManiac gets it.  He just doesn't want to.  

This site is for a retail company.  Klipsch pays for the server space and bandwidth.  It MUST comply with all of the laws of the 50 states as well as the federal government.  And France, England, etc. etc. etc., everywhere they do business.  At any time they can take their bat and ball and go home.  Drop this site like a hot potato.  Other companies have, simply because compliance has been painful.  In the past I've been a moderator on a popular site like this, and even the mod job is (mostly) painful and thankless. 

The mods and administrator of this site must follow company rules, and if that is distasteful to you maybe another site will fit your sensibilities...  Reddit or 4Chan, maybe?