La Scala 1 builds

Seadoc

Started on the mid lenses for my La Scala I builds (2 pairs).  I am using 1/8" HDF to form the K-400 mid lenses.  Created computer "bent" interlocking forms then "unbent" them to make my notched patterns.  HDF was easy to work with and was very similar to the formed plastic thickness of newer lenses.  Using info from PWK's 1963 builds and help from forum regulars on dimensions.  I am adding bracing/stiffeners to the lenses and the cabinets to upgrade from the 1963 build issues.  Planning on testing soon at the Herrick Sound labs at Purdue to see where my build skills put these.  A work in progress, updated coming.

IMG_2948x.JPG

IMG_3058x.JPG

IMG_3059x.JPG

IMG_3061x.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

That's really nicely done. Thanks for posting the pics of your work.

A word of caution... The T'nuts/bolts on the left and right edge of the baffle will almost impossible to put in and tighten or remove once the cabinet is built. The slope of the 'doghouse' and woofer frame make those two locations hard to get to. Klipsch only used four to secure the woofer to the baffle. And make sure your T-nuts are on the correct side when actually assembling the cabinets

• Like 1

@Marvel I originally looked at a PRV Audio adapter (ADM25-50) but the overall was, in my opinion, too long @ 3.125".  What I used was a Luse adapter from ZXPC, threaded for 1-3/8-18 and about 1" depth.  Super solid and no midrange driver cantilever concerns.  

3 hours ago, Seadoc said:

@Marvel I originally looked at a PRV Audio adapter (ADM25-50) but the overall was, in my opinion, too long @ 3.125".  What I used was a Luse adapter from ZXPC, threaded for 1-3/8-18 and about 1" depth.  Super solid and no midrange driver cantilever concerns.  

Thanks... when I looked at their site that model is nowehre to be found. I had never seen one that looked like that and was intrigued.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Installed some solid white oak verticals that I ripped in-lieu of the 3/4" veneered glued verticals that seemed too weak.  Added some extra items for smoother sound wave direction (corner 45's and split side supports) IMHO.

IMG_3341k.JPG

IMG_3345k.JPG

IMG_3349k.JPG

IMG_3350k.JPG

IMG_3351k.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Those are looking super. Wanted to remind you, as I can't tell from the pics. Looking at this one, if your t-nuts aren't pushed in from this side, your woofers will fall off the baffle (unless you made a double layer to hold the nuts in place).

baffle_pic.JPG