LUMIN U1 MINI DIGITAL TRANSPORT/STREAMER?

Fido

Does anyone have any experience with a LUMIN U1 MINI DIGITAL TRANSPORT/STREAMER? I listen to a lot of music and its either from my vinyl collection or streamed. My first Blusound Node2i developed a lot of static and I could not get rid of it. While still under warranty I took it back to Magnolia and got a new one about 10 months ago but now the new one has developed the same static as the old one had. Thinking of upgrading my streamer to a Lumin but am looking for anyone who has had experience with the product referenced above?

Sorry no Lumin experience. Head over to the Roon forums. It is a Lumin love fest.

You have a DAC besides the Node don't you?

I'd try a RPi in a fanless Flirc case and appropriate software. Use the saved money to make an extra mortgage payment....or five. You are just moving data around a network prior to the DAC.

I have a U1 mini and came from a Node 2i.  I am very happy with it, the sound quality was a nice step up from the Node. For a controller you will need an iPad at least. I tried the Lumin app with a Samsung Tab A and it was just too small, I’m sure a phone would be worse. Let me know if you have other questions.

BTW I’ve also had a Pi player and they are good too, but not quite as “plug n play” as the node or U1. I still prefer the Lumin.

Shakey

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

For a controller you will need an iPad at least. I tried the Lumin app with a Samsung Tab A and it was just too small, I’m sure a phone would be worse.

I am all for spending $$$ in anything audio. That said you don't need an iPad. I've been using an old cast off tablet for a controller, but it was not too my liking (size and landscape only) got a tip to look at 2021 version of Kindle fire 10.

At 89 bucks refurbished they are basically throw away. I'm done taking my phone anywhere near the pool now. Get a floor stand and put it next to your listening chair and leave it there. Get another for roaming around the house. Great build quality, bright, fast, cheap, tons of screen space. If dropped/cracked/broken by a family member you are only out the cost of a nice LP.

Sorry for veering off the Lumin topic. But then again I don't think you'll find many serious digital contributors here beyond the handful of usual suspects that we've seen in similar topics.

Lumin T2 was on my short list. If you really believe the streamer makes a difference why wouldn't you go with the U1 over the U1 mini?

Curious because at first I was convinced I needed X, then X plus a super duper LPS, then a music specific switch, then at least two of the switches needed to be replaced to insure cleanliness. Don't forget optical Ethernet.

I'd try the Lumin and the RPi at an additional $50 you would always have a fallback and be able to answer the data movement question for yourself....your USB cable probably cost more than that.

Good luck on the hunt. Sorry I couldn't be more help on the Lumin side. With so much high praise I'm sure you will be happy. 

That said you don't need an iPad. 

I agree that you don't need an ipad with most devices/software. But the Lumin software works better in the Apple world. It will work with Android, but not ideal. I am only recommending an ipad because that's what works best with the Lumin software. And it's not just my opinion, it's kinda common knowledge in other forums.

Lumin T2 was on my short list. If you really believe the streamer makes a difference why wouldn't you go with the U1 over the U1 mini?

Cost is my reasoning here. I'm sure the U1 is better. Hell, the LPS designed for the U1 mini will probably improve it too, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

I agree that you don't need an ipad with most devices/software. But the Lumin software works better in the Apple world. It will work with Android, but not ideal. I am only recommending an ipad because that's what works best with the Lumin software. And it's not just my opinion, it's kinda common knowledge in other forums.

Cost is my reasoning here. I'm sure the U1 is better. Hell, the LPS designed for the U1 mini will probably improve it too, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Interesting, about apple ecosystem vs Android. Kind of consistent with what I found on some other "high end" A/V software. I think apple is so ubiquitous with money is no object types given that any phone with a screen is called an iPhone weather it is an apple product or not. That market does not seem concerned in the least about Android market share.

In 2019 I decided (I thought) I was done with jerking cables, getting up on ladders, skinning my knuckles and the like. Got a high end audio store (not many of them left) you know, the kind that does not talk to you when you walk in to "redo" my house. The idea was a two-phased approach, due to money on my end. First was to install all the equipment to run a whole house automation system plus an outdoor TV that was controlled by that system. Next round would be connecting it to my HT, Living room, bedroom  and adding an 8-speaker outdoor system around my pool and fire pit. They touted how simple it was, and how even though it came with a remote I'd really want to use a tablet and my phone. I was super excited my wife was too. We decided we would not go on any vacations that year or eat out much to offset the cost. The installers showed up and cut/pulled/hammered/snaked....they were here for two days. At the end of day two the 3 guys were like "Oh you don't have an iPhone?" No problem the Android app is due for updates and just slightly behind the iPhone app. It was basically unusable. Just a terrible interface and crashed all the time. I'm not exagerating...it was unusable. To their credit they were very cool about taking all the home automation stuff back and refunding all of my money except the install labor which as it turned out was sub-contracted out from the A/V store. Still have and love the outdoor TV with regular controls. The rest of the house and 8-speakers outside never happened. Had the Android part worked even at a basic level I'm sure I'd have moved forward.

Happy that you answered and it makes sense....but my question about U1 vs U1 mini was for the OP @Fido. Rereading I totally missed the mark there. Good to know that the Lumin stuff is more apple-centric. Casually reading I've seen lots of people over at the Roon forums like the Lumin app but did not pick up on the apple v android part of it. Thanks!

3 hours ago, rplace said:

Interesting, about apple ecosystem vs Android. Kind of consistent with what I found on some other "high end" A/V software. I think apple is so ubiquitous with money is no object types given that any phone with a screen is called an iPhone weather it is an apple product or not. That market does not seem concerned in the least about Android market share.

In 2019 I decided (I thought) I was done with jerking cables, getting up on ladders, skinning my knuckles and the like. Got a high end audio store (not many of them left) you know, the kind that does not talk to you when you walk in to "redo" my house. The idea was a two-phased approach, due to money on my end. First was to install all the equipment to run a whole house automation system plus an outdoor TV that was controlled by that system. Next round would be connecting it to my HT, Living room, bedroom  and adding an 8-speaker outdoor system around my pool and fire pit. They touted how simple it was, and how even though it came with a remote I'd really want to use a tablet and my phone. I was super excited my wife was too. We decided we would not go on any vacations that year or eat out much to offset the cost. The installers showed up and cut/pulled/hammered/snaked....they were here for two days. At the end of day two the 3 guys were like "Oh you don't have an iPhone?" No problem the Android app is due for updates and just slightly behind the iPhone app. It was basically unusable. Just a terrible interface and crashed all the time. I'm not exagerating...it was unusable. To their credit they were very cool about taking all the home automation stuff back and refunding all of my money except the install labor which as it turned out was sub-contracted out from the A/V store. Still have and love the outdoor TV with regular controls. The rest of the house and 8-speakers outside never happened. Had the Android part worked even at a basic level I'm sure I'd have moved forward.

Happy that you answered and it makes sense....but my question about U1 vs U1 mini was for the OP @Fido. Rereading I totally missed the mark there. Good to know that the Lumin stuff is more apple-centric. Casually reading I've seen lots of people over at the Roon forums like the Lumin app but did not pick up on the apple v android part of it. Thanks!

U1 $6000 versus u1 mini $2100 I can probably do $2100 but $6 k is a bit of a stretch and I’m not sure I could actually hear the $4000 difference

1 hour ago, Fido said:

I’m not sure I could actually hear the $4000 difference

But you can hear the difference between $50 and $2100. 😜 

I'm not looking for a fight or debate on what people can/can't hear. I get the argument that if my system was more resolving then I could hear a difference, my system must suck. I rode that wave for years and years and probably 10s of thousands of dollars trying to eek that next little bit out of vinyl set ups. AND I totally get wanting to spend money on a hobby. I have absolutely made totally ridiculous A/V purchases in the past for no other reason than I wanted to or thought it would help. Some times you just want to blow some disposable income. Far be it from me to tell you where/how to do that. Heck I have a $300 fozgometer that has been used exactly twice. I doubt that was money well spent....but maybe, just maybe I got that last .0001 percent out of my azimuth. Don't forget the correct test LP for it. Because the 5 you already have aren't good enough😁

Still I think (my opinion) based on my swapping out several up-stream bits from my 4 or 5 DACs that if there is a difference to be heard it is more bias than reality....but sometimes you have to figure that out for yourself.

Give this entire thread a read with an open mind. Dig into the links a bit. Note that it is not specific to a streamer and that "bridge" can be swapped with streamer. From a 10,000 foot view it is talking about "things" up stream from your DAC. Specifically power supplies prior to the DAC.  But the idea, I think, applies to everything in front of your DAC. As long as it is functioning properly it should give the DAC what is needed.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/linear-power-supply-question-does-it-matter-if-streaming/166388

I could surely buy into convenience, ease of use, build quality (RPis are cheap feeling), plug and play, no DIY, etc. easily justifying a $,1,500+ purchase. How are your room treatments? Just a guess but more bang for your buck with 1K there.

1 hour ago, rplace said:

But you can hear the difference between $50 and $2100. 😜 

I'm not looking for a fight or debate on what people can/can't hear. I get the argument that if my system was more resolving then I could hear a difference, my system must suck. I rode that wave for years and years and probably 10s of thousands of dollars trying to eek that next little bit out of vinyl set ups. AND I totally get wanting to spend money on a hobby. I have absolutely made totally ridiculous A/V purchases in the past for no other reason than I wanted to or thought it would help. Some times you just want to blow some disposable income. Far be it from me to tell you where/how to do that. Heck I have a $300 fozgometer that has been used exactly twice. I doubt that was money well spent....but maybe, just maybe I got that last .0001 percent out of my azimuth. Don't forget the correct test LP for it. Because the 5 you already have aren't good enough😁

Still I think (my opinion) based on my swapping out several up-stream bits from my 4 or 5 DACs that if there is a difference to be heard it is more bias than reality....but sometimes you have to figure that out for yourself.

Give this entire thread a read with an open mind. Dig into the links a bit. Note that it is not specific to a streamer and that "bridge" can be swapped with streamer. From a 10,000 foot view it is talking about "things" up stream from your DAC. Specifically power supplies prior to the DAC.  But the idea, I think, applies to everything in front of your DAC. As long as it is functioning properly it should give the DAC what is needed.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/linear-power-supply-question-does-it-matter-if-streaming/166388

I could surely buy into convenience, ease of use, build quality (RPis are cheap feeling), plug and play, no DIY, etc. easily justifying a $,1,500+ purchase. How are your room treatments? Just a guess but more bang for your buck with 1K there.

RPIs look very interesting and the price seems right but they are not as convenient as a Node or Lumin and I can't see that they support running Amazon Music which is my streaming app of choice. Building a Raspberry could be fun, though and with coaxial out probably sounds pretty darned good

10 minutes ago, Fido said:

RPIs look very interesting and the price seems right but they are not as convenient as a Node or Lumin and I can't see that they support running Amazon Music which is my streaming app of choice. Building a Raspberry could be fun, though and with coaxial out probably sounds pretty darned good

There are a lot of smart people out there doing just about anything music related with a RPi. But like @Shakeydeal eluded to they are more work...for sure not plug and play. Just like some people want an active crossover and a measurement mic others want to wire up their speakers and be done. I'm more of a play around with things before the speaker than speaker tweaker, though I do have an active crossover and mic.

I don't stream anything, keep everything local to me. So not much help on Anything with Amazon Music. I know lots of RPi people like and use Volumio (no idea if it works with Amazon). Give these links 30 seconds of you time and you should have enough to start searching and figure out if RPi and Amazon are a fit. Though I'm sure you will be delighted with Lumin/iPad. Just throwing out options. 

https://volumio.org/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-streamer-for-amazon-music-to-topping-d50s.24309/

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/d6dtmv/amazon_music_hd_streaming_to_raspberry_pi_streamer/

I gather that Amazon is not letting everyone have access to their API (way to interact with somebody's else's software). But Sonos can do it so it is possible. I doubt Amazon is looking for audio enthusiasts directly. More of a way to keep Prime members hooked and putting trucks on the road for purchases. 

4 hours ago, rplace said:

There are a lot of smart people out there doing just about anything music related with a RPi. But like @Shakeydeal eluded to they are more work...for sure not plug and play. Just like some people want an active crossover and a measurement mic others want to wire up their speakers and be done. I'm more of a play around with things before the speaker than speaker tweaker, though I do have an active crossover and mic.

I don't stream anything, keep everything local to me. So not much help on Anything with Amazon Music. I know lots of RPi people like and use Volumio (no idea if it works with Amazon). Give these links 30 seconds of you time and you should have enough to start searching and figure out if RPi and Amazon are a fit. Though I'm sure you will be delighted with Lumin/iPad. Just throwing out options. 

https://volumio.org/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-streamer-for-amazon-music-to-topping-d50s.24309/

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/d6dtmv/amazon_music_hd_streaming_to_raspberry_pi_streamer/

I gather that Amazon is not letting everyone have access to their API (way to interact with somebody's else's software). But Sonos can do it so it is possible. I doubt Amazon is looking for audio enthusiasts directly. More of a way to keep Prime members hooked and putting trucks on the road for purchases. 

I have dozens of Amazon HD Playlists and thousand of songs saved on my Amazon accounts. I love the ability to access so much music so for now I will stick with streamers that can support Amazon and Spotify. Thanks for your suggestions! For now I am going to stick with my Node 2i

4 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Are you sure Lumin supports Amazon?

I don’t think it does - that answers my question. So little amount of information on all the streaming devices and services.

I made a software adjustment on my Node 2i and it appears I no longer have the static problems anymore. By disabling Clock Timing in the BluOS software there are no longer glitches between my Node and my Denefrips Pontus DAC- hope this is a permanent fix and not recurring. Playing directly from the Node using it’s built in dacs the static is not present but the Pontus sounds much better than the dacs in the Node. BluOS even says that the clock timing button may need to be turned off when using an external DAC.

Saves me $2100 plus tax and having to try another streaming service.

• Like 1