Belle's in auction - Leslie, MI 49251

uteman1011

1 hour ago, teaman said:

Thank you for the heads up, I'll keep an eye on these! I see there are also a pair of Quartets nearby....never been on this site.

Tim

I've won a few bids on the site locally.  Auctions are always a crap shoot.  We had a pair of pretty decent H1's come up in March.  But they went for $835!  People go crazy when the adrenaline hits :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, uteman1011 said:

I've won a few bids on the site locally.  Auctions are always a crap shoot.  We had a pair of pretty decent H1's come up in March.  But they went for $835!  People go crazy when the adrenaline hits :)

yeah , been there , it's rarely a good deal , auction fees -- taxes on top add up

When it comes to the big speakers, only the very dedicated tend to bid on them.  I was a bit surprised when I won an auction on a pair of Belles, and I still have them.  That pair looks beautiful, so may get more bidders, but transportation or shipping is a big factor.  If you want them, try your luck.  Figure the top price you’ll pay, or maybe a bit more, and see what happens in that last 5 minutes.

I think they could be worth a shot, if they’re less than a day’s drive away and you have a vehicle or trailer that can bring them home safely.  Just for fun, if you win them, try asking if you can keep the dollies, even if you have to pay for them.  They’re very handy!

• Like 1

True auctions don’t end at a specific hour on a specific date; they end when the bidding stops and the auctioneer hammers the high bid after warning potential bidders that the existing high bid will take it.  

Online “auctions” are sales where potential buyers are given a specific time period to indicate their best offers, somewhat like a silent auction, except bidders may announce their bids while other bidders still have time to put in higher bids.  It makes absolutely no sense to “bid” before the last moments of the “auction” when there is no time for other bidders to beat your offer.

I have won several online “auctions” by entering my maximum offer in the closing seconds using a bid sniping service.  Just enough of my maximum offer is used to beat the existing high offer.  If my maximum offer is too low, the highest offer wins.  I never get caught in a feeding frenzy at the end.

Note the “Soft Close” feature (quoted below) of this auction goes a long way toward making this more like a true auction.  It reduces the opportunity for a bidder to “steal” an item, as other bidders are given two additional minutes to make higher offers.  This benefits sellers, but not bidders.  It still makes no sense to bid, and run up the price, before the final two minutes.

From the site:

”SOFT CLOSE

The closing time of this lot will be extended by 2.0 minutes if a bid is placed on this lot in the last 2.0 minutes.”

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, uteman1011 said:

They're currently sitting at $2400 today with 2 days left.  How exciting! 🤪

2400$ -is good , Tops would be 3K$

so 2400$  plus-20%  buyer's fee - 480$ - 2880$ plus  6%  taxes    --not bad ,

2 hours ago, uteman1011 said:

Glad I could help!  :)

I'd never even heard of that auction site, and I watched the Belles and Quartets until they priced me out of it. I'm already pressed for floorspace in my house and really cannot accommodate Belles, La Scalas or KHorns. I'm pretty cheap too, and based on previous deals I don't have it in me to drop over $2k for speakers.