receiver for R-820F

mwilk34

Hello all.

I have 2 R-820F speakers in my living room.  It is a large room with a high ceiling.  It is not an video setup - only music.  I currently am using the Yamaha RX-V379 receiver which outputs 70 watts per channel.  The sound is good but not great.

Would I notice a difference if I got about a 100 watt per channel receiver?  I have found that I get a receiver of this power level at about $600 - I do not want to spend more than that.

According to the Klipsch recommendations these speakers optimally require 150 watts per channel, but receivers at this power are beyond my price range.

I would appreciate any recommendations, since I do not want to spend money on a more powerful receiver when I will not hear the difference.

Thanks.

Marc

I suspect it is more a question of quality vs. quantity.  You don't need 100W, heck you don't need 70W. Find the highest quality two-channel pre-amp/amplifier combo you can; otherwise you're paying for HDMI inputs and video switching you're never going to use.

If it's music, as mentioned, there's literally no reason for you to have an AVR.  They have anemic power supplies, especially entry level ones like the 379.

If you just have to have HDMI with it for switching, there's the Denon DRA-800, which is a *real* 100 wpc, a decent power supply, and a decent ability to deliver quality sound.

DENON DRA-800H 2 x 100 Watts Stereo Receiver w/HEOS | Accessories4less

$450 on A4L.

• Like 1