Bluesound NODE Help

artto

Anybody here using a Bluesound Node? (Node, Node2 or Node2i)

I need to verify something because I've gotten conflicting info from Bluesound support and dealer Crutchfield.com. Bluesound documentation on this product is poor.

If you have any one of these Bluesound Node in your possession, could you please check for the following:

On the Bluesound player app that controls the Node from your cell phone or tablet (please state which you are using and whether it's android or apple) there is supposed to be a way to control the subwoofer output. The problem is Bluesound is rather vague as to which "Node" products actually support subwoofer crossover settings.

I suspect it may only be the Bluesound PowerNode that supports this because it's also an amplifier that can drive speakers. The Node, Node2 and Node2i do not.

From Bluesound support:

Thank you for contacting the BluOS Support Crew.

Please note that you can set a Crossover within the BluOS App when using Sub Woofers.

Subwoofer

mceclip4.png
ON: apply a high pass filter to the RCA and Speaker Out (where applicable) based on the crossover set.
OFF: send full range out of the RCA and Speaker Outs. Note that the SUBW OUT output will not be affected by this nor will it set a filter on the digital outputs (applicable to NODE and VAULT only)

Crossover

Screenshot_2021-06-10_122903.png

Adjust the crossover between 40Hz and 200Hz; by default is set to 80Hz. Anything below your set crossover will be sent out of the SUBW OUT of your player. If the Subwoofer switch is set to ON (as mentioned above), everything above this crossover will be filtered out and sent to the RCA and Speaker Outputs

15 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Lookup pictures of the different models and see what outputs are on the back? The node 2i appears to have a dedicated sub output, for instance.

Correct. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the NODE streamer/player supports a frequency adjustable (or fixed Hz default) low pass filter to the sub output along with a high pass filter to the mains. And that of course is what I'm looking for.

I want to run the NODE streamer directly into some flea powered SET amp like the Decware Super Zen Triode. I want the subs to take some load off of the low powered SET amp so they can deliver more of their usable power into the main speakers without having to deal with the lower bass frequencies which typically require most of the power and because SET typically aren't very adept at.

On 8/4/2021 at 12:16 PM, artto said:

Anybody here using a Bluesound Node? (Node, Node2 or Node2i)

I need to verify something because I've gotten conflicting info from Bluesound support and dealer Crutchfield.com. Bluesound documentation on this product is poor.

If you have any one of these Bluesound Node in your possession, could you please check for the following:

On the Bluesound player app that controls the Node from your cell phone or tablet (please state which you are using and whether it's android or apple) there is supposed to be a way to control the subwoofer output. The problem is Bluesound is rather vague as to which "Node" products actually support subwoofer crossover settings.

I suspect it may only be the Bluesound PowerNode that supports this because it's also an amplifier that can drive speakers. The Node, Node2 and Node2i do not.

From Bluesound support:

Thank you for contacting the BluOS Support Crew.

Please note that you can set a Crossover within the BluOS App when using Sub Woofers.

Subwoofer

mceclip4.png
ON: apply a high pass filter to the RCA and Speaker Out (where applicable) based on the crossover set.
OFF: send full range out of the RCA and Speaker Outs. Note that the SUBW OUT output will not be affected by this nor will it set a filter on the digital outputs (applicable to NODE and VAULT only)

Crossover

Screenshot_2021-06-10_122903.png

Adjust the crossover between 40Hz and 200Hz; by default is set to 80Hz. Anything below your set crossover will be sent out of the SUBW OUT of your player. If the Subwoofer switch is set to ON (as mentioned above), everything above this crossover will be filtered out and sent to the RCA and Speaker Outputs

I have the Node2i & use Apple iPad to control.  The Subwoofer does have variable crossover points from 40-200hz in 10hz steps but I see no way to independently vary the output level of the Sub in relation to the main if that is what you are asking.  Note: I do not use the Sub through the Bluesound I run through a xilica & split the sub out there, so I have no experience with it just see it on the settings.

• Like 1

I think I misunderstood what you were asking after re-reading your last post.  I did a test on another system using Cornwall IVs with Bluesound connected to McIntosh MC30s direct (no Xilica) to the CW4s. Sent a series of test tone from Node2i measured speaker output with db meter at 4 ft as shown below. I set the Sub ON and crossover at 80 hz.

Meter set to 60 db (lowest setting on meter)

1000 hz 77db

20 hz 0

30 hz 0

40 hz  0

50 hz 0

60 hz 58

100 hz 66

125 hz 61

250 hz 64 

So it appears the lf is rolled off the Node mains below the crossover point.  I used "Audio Line-Up test tones" calibration reference check available on Tidal

• Like 1

Thanks Rig!!!

No problem with sub level. I send the sub output (currently from NAD M32) to a Behringer 24/96 UltraCurve as an (additional) subwoofer processor. From there I can use the stereo XLR outputs to the four subs. The subs are active and have their own crossover as well. Subs have their own volume control. However, I must admit I enjoy the convenience of being able to attenuate the mains or subs via remote right from my easy chair with the M32.

The problem is the M32 only has one analog output that can be used either as a preamp out or sub out. Obviously I have to use it as a sub out, so that leaves me with no way to get a direct analog line level out from the M32 streaming via the BlueOS module to some tube amps for comparison. (got that bug again, you understand 😆). I still have my Luxman triodes but they haven't been turned on in years so I'm reluctant to use them. And with the caps being 45 years old I don't think it would be a fair comparison anyway. So that's why I'm looking at trying a Bluesound NODE to send a signal to the subs and a good tube amp so I can keep the subs in the mix with the same crossover and level I use with the M32 as much as possible.

1 hour ago, rigma said:

I think I misunderstood what you were asking after re-reading your last post.  I did a test on another system using Cornwall IVs with Bluesound connected to McIntosh MC30s direct (no Xilica) to the CW4s. Sent a series of test tone from Node2i measured speaker output with db meter at 4 ft as shown below. I set the Sub ON and crossover at 80 hz.

Meter set to 60 db (lowest setting on meter)

1000 hz 77db

20 hz 0

30 hz 0

40 hz  0

50 hz 0

60 hz 58

100 hz 66

125 hz 61

250 hz 64 

So it appears the lf is rolled off the Node mains below the crossover point.  I used "Audio Line-Up test tones" calibration reference check available on Tidal

Thanks! That's exactly what I'm looking for and what I want to do. I need to keep frequencies below 40Hz out of the mains, and increasing that to 80Hz or 100Hz and see what happens. With everything above 80Hz going to the mains it should give a flea powered tube amp a little (a lot?) more headroom so to speak since it won't have to deal with those more powerful lower frequencies. This is also about keeping the signal path as short and simple as possible. Tidal --> Bluesound Node | --> tube power amp

|--> powered subwoofers

I figure for about $1500 ($1000 for Super Zen Triode, $500 Bluesound NODE) I essentially have a second very different "system" so to speak. All I have to do is swap the speaker cables.

Plus I'm really interested in hearing how the SH50, which are now dialed in really good, sound with Hi_res streaming using nothing but the streamer DAC and SET with the subs set as they are using the M32. And, if I don't like the Zen Triode (or any other tube amp I try for comparison with the M32) I can use the Bluesound Node elsewhere like in the model railroad room with the Khorns/old HK receiver and the Zen should be fairly easy to sell.

There is a new version of the Node2i that just came out, price is same as old one was $549 retail.  Supposed to have better DAC.

Cory had some of the new ones in stock a couple weeks ago when I bought one from him.

• Like 1