Wanted: K-55-M Midrange Driver For LaScala

Thank you to all for the feedback and PMs.  I did ohm out the Peavey driver and it is shorted, but the good news is that today I found a working replacement K-55-M for a reasonable sum.  I want to get these working as step 1 and then I will be replacing the caps on the AL-3 crossovers.  My neighbor makes furniture and he cannot wait to get started on the cabinets..  At this point not sure whether to patch up the damage, fill the holes and try to go low cost restore or go full in on some sexy veneer.  I think my decision will be made after I listen for a while..

Lascala 1 cabs are only 3/4 inch , while newer series are 1 inch MDF , eliminating any resonance of the side walls ,  the extra 1/4 inch even is sad to tighten the bass  a tad  ---

bonding 1/4 inch panels of your favorite wood finish , can avoid veneering  , or you can add 1/4 to 1/2 inch flat MDF panels with textured  paint or veneer -

the addition of a riser base of 2-3 inches would compliment the Lascala 1 as it literally sits on the ground , all new Lascala split cabs incorporate a riser base fo a cleaner look -

-You can also chop the tops off with a track saw which splits the cab  , for a klipsch  LS II split cab look -image.jpeg.177d38f557dcc5f278fc650d8dee6871.jpeg

4 hours ago, RandyH said:

Lascala 1 cabs are only 3/4 inch , while newer series are 1 inch MDF , eliminating any resonance of the side walls ,  the extra 1/4 inch even is sad to tighten the bass  a tad  ---

bonding 1/4 inch panels of your favorite wood finish , can avoid veneering  , or you can add 1/4 to 1/2 inch flat MDF panels with textured  paint or veneer -

the addition of a riser base of 2-3 inches would compliment the Lascala 1 as it literally sits on the ground , all new Lascala split cabs incorporate a riser base fo a cleaner look -

-You can also chop the tops off with a track saw which splits the cab  , for a klipsch  LS II split cab look -image.jpeg.177d38f557dcc5f278fc650d8dee6871.jpeg

Thanks for the suggestions.. I was talking with my neighbor today about some options and we are considering making 1/4 inch panels instead of super thin veneer since he has the tooling to do this.  I was also thinking about adding a riser to the bottom as you mentioned.  At this point I do not think we will split the cabinet - though I do like that look..

13 minutes ago, EssentialAudioRestoration said:

Thanks for the suggestions..

-one foot note about the  riser , it can be painted black  or  you can match  it with the rest of the cabinet -----the new klipsch AL 5  has a black riser - the previous LS II  was veneered - 

Klipsch La Scala AL5 3-way Fully Horn-Loaded Loudspeaker (American Walnut)