Western Electric making the 300B tube again in Rossville,Ga

RickD

44 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Who has to work for a living?   Handouts are plentiful right now. Just need to find a way to get laid off on paper and I should be good for awhile with all of my expenses... 

The unemployment check might make your car payment, but if I doubt it covers rent/mortgage.

11 hours ago, RickD said:

I could not hear any difference between the $900 cables and $12 worth of Monster cable. I recently saw an advertisement for cables selling for $100,000. My guess these are for the guys that light their cigars with $100 bills. 

I think the only other place where you can make more money for items you don't need (as in the audio industry) is the pharmaceutical industry! 

Going off topic for a moment, one of my favorite wives' tales is letting a battery sit on a concrete floor... this will drain all the energy out of the battery, so you put it on a 2x4 or other piece of wood. I can't believe how many people fall for that one. 

11 hours ago, RandyH said:

there is no way , that a new WE 300B tube can sound as good or better than the NOS --the new WE300B is  a reproduction made on new tooling  by an outfit that purchased the Brand  -Forget ever matching the NOS --but the good news is that new tubes will be available -

Tube technology was perfected long ago in the US. It is possible to have a tube made today to be better and more reliable than one made in 1940. The most important part of a tube like a 300B is the filament. It is possible to at least replicate the original, but I would like to imagine technology has brought some refinement to a directly heated filament. 

Even if the new tube is a perfect replication, who could want more, if the originals are so well regarded? The price is the only factor. 

4 hours ago, Curious_George said:

Tube technology was perfected long ago in the US. It is possible to have a tube made today to be better and more reliable than one made in 1940. The most important part of a tube like a 300B is the filament. It is possible to at least replicate the original, but I would like to imagine technology has brought some refinement to a directly heated filament. 

Even if the new tube is a perfect replication, who could want more, if the originals are so well regarded? The price is the only factor. 

I could see myself wanting one of those 91E amplifiers. If only just to look at.

4 hours ago, Curious_George said:

I think the only other place where you can make more money for items you don't need (as in the audio industry) is the pharmaceutical industry! 

Going off topic for a moment, one of my favorite wives' tales is letting a battery sit on a concrete floor... this will drain all the energy out of the battery, so you put it on a 2x4 or other piece of wood. I can't believe how many people fall for that one. 

I beg to differ, I need my hifi, withdrawal would be horrible. 

As an anecdote, I have 4 USA NOS 211 tubes. These are supposed to be the holy grail of big transmitting tubes. They were supposedly new when I bought them a long time ago for a great price. I compared them to Chinese 211 tubes for many hours and I cannot hear hardly any difference between the two. In fact, the Chinese tubes seem to be more reliable and consistent (measurement wise). 

I know it is unbelievable, but it is true in my case. Just so you know, Chinese tubes are my least favorite except for 211 and 845's. They seem to have those designs down fairly well. 

My early birthday surprise arrived today!  Well, not really a surprise, and it was me who said, let’s just do it!  One of our reissued 12 year old 300B’s started making noise and it just drove us nuts.  When we saw Western Electric started shipping again, we bit the bullet and placed our order last month.  They arrived today!  Can’t wait to hear them. BA0AE32C-B617-4583-890B-85B11EF65AD4.thumb.jpeg.a30d7de5bff079fb461945a3a0c8138d.jpeg61EDC2B2-E844-4879-9538-ECD570E1C71C.thumb.jpeg.efa98d755a9dc16ad20e6d10cab59be4.jpeg6317674D-3C1E-44EF-B1BE-512939B4175F.thumb.jpeg.af56e5edf9b05355fe6bead950650cee.jpeg391AFDCF-1C78-40E2-8F74-1CCAF5564A8E.thumb.jpeg.a1caa83b066580d213c550b9b9f7da11.jpegB87C5A42-B23D-4378-A95D-C249EC073198.thumb.jpeg.378668354d7eb15c9a1b3f0adbcec993.jpeg243BA3E3-2C58-46EB-906D-B21F2AE7183A.thumb.jpeg.bc86dced4b9caa5bf728bca6568a6bb8.jpeg6BBBCB35-A2A1-4358-8CBE-B658F9056353.thumb.jpeg.a957e91fe28683f9f3a0b8460e2dfc7f.jpeg

9A951018-03D7-4C1D-AA73-6EE7F109F4E6.jpeg

• Like 7

On 8/6/2021 at 7:53 PM, seti said:

Yeah you can't just crank up some equipment even if it is original and claim to be Western Electric. There is more to it than that. I'd rather buy some of the other clones on the market.

Article says they installed new laser welding systems.  I guess the ones from 1938 were not working any longer LOL.

There is a repair shop in the building where the offices of WE reside. The tech worked on my Welborne Labs 2A3 amps. He told me they are close, really close to the sound of the new WE 300B stereo amp I heard. Wasn't in a case, just resting on some standoff... pretty large printed circuit board.

The plant is a few blocks away...

The owner of WE is one of the owners of the Tube Depot over in Memphis.

I know they can get a much greater vacuum on the tubes with the newer equipment.

• Like 2