Western Electric making the 300B tube again in Rossville,Ga

RickD

On 8/7/2021 at 5:54 PM, RandyH said:

WE   claims  the new   WE300B are actually  better made  given the newer technologies ,  I would love to see a true  A-B test by WE  to see if they at least last as long as the Original WE300B -anyone can make a claim , but backing it is not so easy -

They have a five year warranty (no one else does, even for more expensive replicas), some old and some new tooling. They have some of the original employees.

A lot of folks think that Charles Whitener is a jerk (to put it nicely), but he has the money and spent a lot of it to get the plant up and running. With a maximum plate dissipation of 40 watts, they should really last a long time in most peoples amps.

38 minutes ago, Marvel said:

They have a five year warranty (no one else does, even for more expensive replicas), some old and some new tooling. They have some of the original employees.

I was not aware of the 5 years warranty , I thought it was only 1 year -

Hiring  employees from the 80's is the key  for WE  to train New Staff  as these workers must be in their 60'-70's  , I just hope that WE can stay in the USA  .

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Can't wait to hear what you and Marion think about them. I am betting on good... very good.

It may be a couple of days.  Marion wants to check all voltages, currents, etc to make sure everything is up to spec before installing the new tubes, then checking them again.  Sure don’t want to take any chances of harming them.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MZKITTY said:

It may be a couple of days.  Marion wants to check all voltages, currents, etc to make sure everything is up to spec before installing the new tubes, then checking them again.  Sure don’t want to take any chances of harming them.

-- that  testing  is crucial , since swapping a different or a new tube into a noisy tube socket could  irreversibly damage  the other tubes -

-plus once testing is completed   ,  swapping the noisy  tube into a different socket will confirm  if  the tube is consistently noisy , or if it is stable   , which  would then confirm that an      adjustment of the amplifier or replacement parts  are needed -

On 8/11/2021 at 4:14 PM, RandyH said:

-- that  testing  is crucial , since swapping a different or a new tube into a noisy tube socket could  irreversibly damage  the other tubes -

-plus once testing is completed   ,  swapping the noisy  tube into a different socket will confirm  if  the tube is consistently noisy , or if it is stable   , which  would then confirm that an      adjustment of the amplifier or replacement parts  are needed -

See that beautiful blue glow?  That right there is the sound of perfection.  These new tubes did not disappoint.  Listened to our playlist of testing songs today, and heard more pronounced  details in songs we have been listening to for years!  Very, very pleased.  

EBE23D6B-B29B-4148-8902-EE5D210FE150.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MZKITTY said:

Come visit and hear the magic!

I would love to hear them. I'll see if I can work out a little trip and give Marion a call or message him. Thanks for the invite.

Bruce

13 hours ago, RickD said:

What amplifier are you using, MZKITTY? That blue glow almost looks like a deep space photo from the Hubble Space Telescope.

It is my self built amp, somewhat based on the Angela 91 schematic.

300B.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MZKITTY said:

Listened to our playlist of testing songs today, and heard more pronounced  details in songs we have been listening to for years!  Very, very pleased.  

You heard things you never heard before on your multiple Jube set up by changing a tube? WOW.

10 hours ago, rigma said:

Here is a pic of one of the mono blocks I was working on. I developed hand and arm tremors so my perfect soldering skills rode off into the sunset.. Each channel uses 4 300b tubes OTL for a total of 1.5 watts. Filaments are powered by DC for a quieter output. Multi-Layer boards are soldered to the pins of each socket. I'm thinking about building a wood box around the chassis so I can use my body weight to stabilize my hands while soldering. Interconnect wiring is what remains to be finished.

Hopefully I can finish the project.

I have 8 matched Electro-Harmonix tubes. A few years ago the 300Bs cost me a $220 a pair.

WE tubes would turn this into an expensive project. I spent $6k on a McIntosh amp earlier this year and another $2k on my Khorns. I'm Al's waiting list for a pair of extreme slope crossovers and then I need to get a pair of BMS 4592ND drivers. Thinking about WE tube is going to have to wait. I bet they sure would sound nice.

300B.JPG

18 hours ago, rigma said:

300B.jpg

Nice case as well as layout. Here is the schematic for those interested. https://img.usaudiomart.com/uploads/large/2067451-708e3817-angela-model-91-monoblock-tube-amplifiers-300b-western-electric-91a-clones.jpg   Simple with just enough needed components and no more. Bet it does sound as good as it looks. There is magic in a Single Ended 300B amp for those that have never heard one. Perfect for our high efficient speakers we love. 

I realize the WE91 amp and its derivatives are historic. No question about that, but for HiFi, I don't understand driving one of the most linear tubes made (300B) with a pentode. I have never heard a WE91 and I'm sure it sounds wonderful, but a triode driving a triode would (or should) sound better. 

I imagine the pentode front-end will impart some audiophile adjectives to the final sound.

Just saying...

11 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

I realize the WE91 amp and its derivatives are historic. No question about that, but for HiFi, I don't understand driving one of the most linear tubes made (300B) with a pentode. I have never heard a WE91 and I'm sure it sounds wonderful, but a triode driving a triode would (or should) sound better. 

I imagine the pentode front-end will impart some audiophile adjectives to the final sound.

Just saying...

Good question. I am sure the engineers had good reason for using a pentode vs triode to achieve the sound they were looking for. Pentodes may just have a less sound of their own then a triode tube which does color the sound more. 

I should have expanded on my thought... as far as "newer" versions that people or companies design & build of the WE91 with modern source equipment that have much higher output than sources in the early part of the 20th century. Having all that gain (when not needed) with a pentode will just increase noise. 

BTW - pentodes have more sound of their own than triodes, not vice versa, but I guess that is subjective. 

1 hour ago, Curious_George said:

Just saying...

I am contemplating building 2 more 300B amps on some very nice copper chassis I have.  I also have a pair of Magnaquest FS-30, 80 ma outputs I need to put to good use. If you have a good schematic I am all ears. I am currently looking for a new direct coupled design, something along the line of the Monkey on a stick maybe.

On 8/14/2021 at 12:01 PM, Curious_George said:

I should have expanded on my thought... as far as "newer" versions that people or companies design & build of the WE91 with modern source equipment that have much higher output than sources in the early part of the 20th century. Having all that gain (when not needed) with a pentode will just increase noise. 

BTW - pentodes have more sound of their own than triodes, not vice versa, but I guess that is subjective. 

The triode would have to account for Miller effect, the pentode, not.  That's why you see it in many broadcast amps.