crypto currency

Marvel

The ability for crypto to store financial energy reliably, has certainly been put into question recently , this is because of its almost  pure speculative nature , and the fear of holding  risky assets during times of possible recession and economic uncertainty.

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

At least proponents agree that it has value because people ascribe value to it.  The same argument is s made concerning gold.

So, the real question is which asset is more likely to suffer loss of faith?

Gold does have some practical uses, plus decorative uses.  Comparing the two, which would you think?

• Like 2

'I also think the macro turn is very close too. Have bond yields topped? Probably.

Returns since the panic 3AC liquidation less than two months ago:

BTC +24%
ETH +71%
SOL +64%
AVAX +77%
MATIC +200%
DOT +26%
AAVE +116%
UNISWAP +131%
XRP +29%'

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2022 at 4:57 AM, Jeff Matthews said:

At least proponents agree that it has value because people ascribe value to it.  The same argument is s made concerning gold.

So, the real question is which asset is more likely to suffer loss of faith?

A loss of faith would vary by culture, I think. Gold is more greatly admired/appreciated in India and Asia than in North America.

Being physical, it is attractive in dowries, generational inheritance, and high-density "emergency value". 

I suspect the bullion value today would be a great deal higher if the "paper gold" derivitive markets were properly policed, or better yet, eliminated.

• 2 months later...

The creators' intent was to decentralize control over the currency (or rather, provide an alternative centralization) to achieve greater stability than the governments' fiat money.  Crypto has proven to be anything other than stable.

Also, what's the deal with FTX?  I understand Sam Bankman-Fried speculated with his depositors' coin and that many depositors are holding empty bags, but why does this result in the value of the coin plummeting?  If the same thing happened with US currency, a dollar would still be worth a dollar, and people would want it just as much.

2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

but why does this result in the value of the coin plummeting?  If the same thing happened with US currency, a dollar would still be worth a dollar, and people would want it just as much.

— because a US dollar IS a dollar, respected currency the world over. Few people know what a crypto coin really is or it’s intrinsic value. I certainly don’t nor do I pretend to - 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, akers983 said:

I try to understand crypto and even buy some courses. But i still can't get it.

I tell people that it's no different from a boat (a large hole in the water you throw money into). Similar results 🙂

Another way I look at crypto is "an attempt at private (as opposed to government) currency". Trust the "private" part of this at your own risk.

• 7 months later...
On 11/19/2022 at 7:45 AM, Jeff Matthews said:

The creators' intent was to decentralize control over the currency (or rather, provide an alternative centralization) to achieve greater stability than the governments' fiat money.  Crypto has proven to be anything other than stable.

Also, what's the deal with FTX?  I understand Sam Bankman-Fried speculated with his depositors' coin and that many depositors are holding empty bags, but why does this result in the value of the coin plummeting?  If the same thing happened with US currency, a dollar would still be worth a dollar, and people would want it just as much.

You answered your own question.  What is the dollar backed by?  The full faith and credit of the US government, and it is still the reserve currency of the world.  What is crypto backed by?  Anyone? Anyone?  Bueller?

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

You answered your own question.  What is the dollar backed by?  The full faith and credit of the US government, and it is still the reserve currency of the world.  What is crypto backed by?  Anyone? Anyone?  Bueller?

It's supposedly controlled by 3 entities that nobody knows.

JJK