Suggestions For Affordable Subwoofer Preamp

MEH Synergy

Question for all.   Currently, I am running straight out of a balanced DAC into a Behringer mixer and then into my PSA subs.  I am looking for an affordable quality Preamp (signal is too low into the subs and they like a hot signal) that has a volume control.  The behringer mixer notably degrades the sound of the subs a bit (as opposed to running straight into them out of the DAC).    No lights or minimal lights is a plus. All I need is a volume control.  Balanced is plus. Suggestions?

It is balanced in and line level out OR line level in and balanced out! Those are the two options. It will not boost balanced to balance or line level to line level.

It wasn't an issue for me as I could do it either way but tried line to line first only to find it wasn't an option.

The Crown had switchable sensitivity but still didn't match up with the other amps until I boosted the signal.

2 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

It is balanced in and line level out OR line level in and balanced out! Those are the two options. It will not boost balanced to balance or line level to line level.

It wasn't an issue for me as I could do it either way but tried line to line first only to find it wasn't an option.

The Crown had switchable sensitivity but still didn't match up with the other amps until I boosted the signal.

I did see that c I planned to take RCA out into balanced on the subs. Exactly what I need. Both of you confirmed what I was thinking. 

5 minutes ago, babadono said:

Duh. I thought you and the Mook were talkin' about my suggestion to wrap the Cleanbox around on itself. Sorry.

No.   This box is perfect for me.  I needed to convert to balanced to not get him in subs and have more gain.  Great suggestion. 

1 minute ago, rmlowz said:

I have used the Art Clean Box in and out of my systems through the years. I have had great success. One thing that it does that is not advertised is get rid of ground loop hum

Good to know. I'm sure this is just what the doctor ordered. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, babadono said:

I think (please notice THINK) you can go in balanced then out the unbalanced, wrap that into the unbalanced in and come out balanced or vice versa.

I tried that, since it was in the instructions that came with the Cleanbox.  It worked, but didn't seem to sound any different.

And I used the XLR-to-RCA cables that I had been using without the Cleanbox.  I only had to buy one pair of XLR-to-XLR cables to connect the Cleanbox to the Dx38 and they cost less than $80.