Home theater with Khorns

jebartist

On 8/7/2021 at 3:36 PM, jebartist said:

Thanks guys. I will cross each bridge at a time. Once I get to the crossovers, I'll upgrade them to at least AK-3's. The bass isn't really there and midrange is muddy and they are completely sealed in the corners. All speakers are playing, so only place I can assume the problem is in the 34 year old xovers.

With that said, I mentioned that about the khorns, but wanted to keep the focus on the Heresy's as surrounds and possibly center channel. Would those blend well or are they overkill?

No sub has been decided as well, but save that for another discussion.

Do you have it sealed horizontally also along the top of bass bin??? Sealed as in how have you sealed them??? pipe foam...pool noodles??? Another thing you might try is loosen and retighten all screwed connections. Also lack of bass could just be amp or AVR set up is off.  I use Ks for home theater and reference center and side speakers cause of being poor and have little room...lol. DSCF0462.thumb.JPG.84e2e89c4f735ef0f3bd9f76aabb5e31.JPG 

On 8/7/2021 at 3:26 PM, RandyH said:

I lean towards the Heresy 1 as it uses the k77 and K55V  , so as to compliment the 87 KHORN -

For the capacitors in your Crossover , klipsch OEM Capacitors from @JEM Performance  --will restore the network's specs  with capacitors that are spot on , as the 87 Khorns were tested on the klipsch bench instruments , in that  perfect balance ,and as  @dtel said ,  earlier ,  there is no need to modify anything else -

Is it not true from what I've read that Klipsch admittedly made the AK-2 crossovers incorrectly based on a pre-production K-55-M squawker? I've noticed the midrange and tweeter are definitely quite loud compared to the bass driver. They definitely seem they need to be reduced in comparison. I've read the pre-production squawker tested where they wanted it, but the production one's were 6db louder with the AK-2 crossover. My Khorns do not sound as good as the one's I heard so many years ago that left a lifelong impression on me. When I met with the owner of these at the time to purchase them, I sat down and listened to them. I was not impressed at all with them at their house. They were very muffled and uninspiring sounding. He was powering them with a $25,000 Accuphase integrated amp.

3 hours ago, jebartist said:

I've noticed the midrange and tweeter are definitely quite loud compared to the bass driver.  they need to be reduced -- My Khorns do not sound as good as the one's I heard so many years ago

you can adjust , or attenuate the tweeter and midrange drivers , on the  AK-2   , up , or down  , you decide -

You have questions regarding your Khorn's  XO  ......The klipsch Crossover  repair center ..... @JEM Performance  .......  theaudioroom@verizon.net    (412) 401-6915

• Like 1

I just ordered a REL HT/1508 Predator subwoofer. I was trying to find something that would be musical and work well in a home theater. I was looking for something that would be fast and tight to hopefully blend with my klipschorns when in 2 channel (if I run a sub in this situation) or in the home theater situation. I'll start with 1 and go from there. I'm not sure how much I'll want another. I'm not big into heavy bass anymore.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 11:40 AM, ricktate said:

Do you have it sealed horizontally also along the top of bass bin??? Sealed as in how have you sealed them??? pipe foam...pool noodles??? Another thing you might try is loosen and retighten all screwed connections. Also lack of bass could just be amp or AVR set up is off.  I use Ks for home theater and reference center and side speakers cause of being poor and have little room...lol. DSCF0462.thumb.JPG.84e2e89c4f735ef0f3bd9f76aabb5e31.JPG 

Nice setup! Does your left klipschorn have a corner to sit in?

Mine have what I think are factory rubber gaskets vertically. I've seen another pair on the web with the same gasket, so I assume that is factory installed. There is not any gasket installed horizontally. I didn't think about having it seal there. Makes sense though.

• Like 1

Just now, jebartist said:

I just ordered a REL HT/1508 Predator subwoofer. I was trying to find something that would be musical and work well in a home theater. I was looking for something that would be fast and tight to hopefully blend with my klipschorns when in 2 channel (if I run a sub in this situation) or in the home theater situation. I'll start with 1 and go from there. I'm not sure how much I'll want another. I'm not big into heavy bass anymore.

Sounds like a decent sub. Yes likely one fits the bill seeing as, enveloped with your kickass system. Let know...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jebartist said:

Nice setup! Does your left klipschorn have a corner to sit in?

Mine have what I think are factory rubber gaskets vertically. I've seen another pair on the web with the same gasket, so I assume that is factory installed. There is not any gasket installed horizontally. I didn't think about having it seal there. Makes sense though.

No corner on left. I built a false wall and veneered it then attached it to the K-horn. Works pretty good should have used 2 x 3/4 inch plywood.  I just used on 3/4 inch and it vibrates a little. 

I picked up my new Klipsch Chorus I's and Cornwalls today. I am just storing them in my conditioned garage till I get the room done, but I did audition them at the previous owners house. I must say, the Chorus I's sounded beautiful. They didn't have quite as authoritive bass the Cornwalls have and not quite the sparkle on the top end, but the midrange was more laid back and not so much in your face. They were very musical sounding. I'm overly impressed with them. This was my first time hearing Chorus' before. Makes me wonder why Klipsch didn't keep producing them just as they are.

Thanks everyone for recommending them. I'm ecstatic!

Edited by jebartist

Would a Belle Klipsch fit as your center?  Not as deep front to back as the La Scala, but fully horn loaded, so it will be relatively free of modulation distortion, like the Khorn.  That's what I have as a center, flanked by Khorns.  Sounds great!  Perfect timbre match!

Belle Klipsch Floorstanding Speaker | Klipsch

• Like 1

@psg  Yep, good to see you!  

As for the OP.....  Sounds like it might get cramped in there?  Instead of having 5.? or 8.? different speakers setup....  since you're going with one of the big/bad boys, would it work if you just did a stronger stereo presentation?

(that's what I've essentially done, my rear LaScalas get used very little as I find the front Jubilee's and Danley dts-10 sufficient for my tastes.... so I saved some funds on extra speakers & other complexities)

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 11:18 PM, jebartist said:

Ok, now I'm down to what Atmos speakers to get and what processor to get. Trying to keep the processor budget around $5,000. I was kinda thinking of just going with Klipsch Atmos 8" speakers, but maybe not limited to those. Any recommendations?

My favorite Pre Pro is the Yamaha CX-A5200 you can get for about $2,300 with free shipping on Ebay. It does a phenomenal job and can go from 7.2.4 to 2.2 at the touch of a button. I hade the 5000's also, but they did not have Subwoofer EQ like the 5200. I would not ever do sub bass with only one Sub. You gotta have 2 for balance to an audience of more than 1.

The wall with the front mains, center and tv is a 5' knee wall. Ceiling height is 9', though. I'm limited on speaker size under the tv as it will push the TV height further up the taller the speaker. As a consequence, it will push the TV further in the room as well. I want a viewing angle of me eyes at the top of 1/3 of the bottom portion of the TV. A Heresy is pushing that height. I also have to house the processor and amps. I thought about putting everything in a closet nearby, but that creates other issues. I plan to just keep everything under the TV. I have a single Heresy to work the center channel duties.

I just purchased the JBL Synthesis SDP-55 processor as well as a Samsung 85" TV. With the Khorns, Cornwalls, Chorus' and single Heresy, I'm at $20,000. That doesn't include Atmos speakers, which I have yet to purchase or decide what to get there. Nor does it include all the renovations I've done and am doing to the room.

I would love a single Belle or La Scala but their size create a problem in the center as well as availability. Who knows when something like that would pop up local to me. I feel I've been fortunate so far to have found what I have locally.

I would reconsider the electronics up front. Those displays and lights will be distracting in dark scenes.

Someone handy with wood work could cut a La Scala cabinet to get the bass unit and top section side by side under TV.

Having said that, my 60 inch TV is above a La Scala (see Gallery link in my signature) and it works well in reclined HT type seating; it's not too high. I understand a single La Scala (or even a pair) is not easy to find.