The price of Knowledge.

joessportster

Curious about this subject

Background

I never went beyond High School in formal schooling. I did go to the school of hard knocks. I learned a few craft trades by working in them, Plumbing, Carpentry, Roofing, HVAC, Maintenance, & Mechanics...................On the hobby side I would like to think I have learned about Audio, Shooting, &  limited body building.  It has cost me a great deal in body, financial, friendship, family, and mental state.

As far back as I can remember I have been called upon to fix problems or give advice  for friends, family, acquaintances on any and all of those subjects.  I have always believed you should stick your hand out in friendship and help about anyone in need. Lately I am feeling like I have allowed WAY to many people to take advantage of me.  This feeling has me to a point I honestly do not want to associate with folks (mental status)

Not sure there is even a point to this, I am just wondering if others get to this point and how you might deal with it

• Like 3

Hi Joe, been there & we have similarities.

Not sure if I ever came out of it completely. I know I'm a bit "off" others might think substantially.

You've got from what I've seen here and in talking to you a good attitude.

For me selling my truck stopped a lot of that, you know what I mean. Other things I've dialed back on. I don't loan tools to my own brother anymore it's simple, No One gets them. I have half of what I used to. A bad aspect for me since all that is not letting very many get close or to know too much about me. Now that can keep me from what I'm missing out on. Yea hard knocks can leave scars, keep pushing on man!

Think there are some here that might offer some things that are more constructive! :smile:

16 hours ago, joessportster said:

As far back as I can remember I have been called upon to fix problems or give advice  for friends, family, acquaintances on any and all of those subjects.  I have always believed you should stick your hand out in friendship and help about anyone in need. Lately I am feeling like I have allowed WAY to many people to take advantage of me.  This feeling has me to a point I honestly do not want to associate with folks (mental status)

Not sure there is even a point to this, I am just wondering if others get to this point and how you might deal with it

So, I was also always the one people came too for advice. That says something about you. Wise, trustworthy, good listener, kind, compassionate, good/big heart. Those are all positive character traits that have a side affect. Hopefully mixed into those character traits is a willingness to be honest when being honest means correction and having to be stern. The side affect is, some people mistake kindness for weakness and take advantage and it stings the tender hearted, which can lead to hard heartedness. As much as is possible, my advice is to guard the tendency toward hard heartedness which becomes skepticism, but at the same time, learn to set healthy boundaries with those who hurt, take advantage of, and abuse your kindness. Boundaries are for your protection and the protection of the relationship. Loving others through service, which includes being a good listener, is more than a positive thing, it is important and healthy for all parties. I'd suggest a book titled,  Boundaries: When to say yes How to say no To take take control of your life. https://www.amazon.com/Boundaries-Updated-Expanded-When-Control/dp/0310351804/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=boundaries&qid=1628427317&sr=8-4

I hope this helps. Part of my calling into the ministry was the preparation process of being one of those who people came to for advice. Everything is part of the process of becoming, God wastes nothing. 

• Like 3

I think I was in Jr. High school when this thought/revelation hit me.  I might have seen the Twilight Zone episode (Burgess Meridith perhaps?) of the Loneliest Man on Earth??

Suppose for a moment, that you are literally, the only person on the earth.  Totally alone.  You now rule the (1-person) globe.  You have access to as much of the infrastructure as you want.  Sleep in Lincolns bedroom?  Launch a nuclear missile? Want to drive a new car every day?  Just stop by that place that used to be known as a car dealer.  Fly a plane?  Take your pick.  Drive a bulldozer, you own them all.

Not a person to talk to....so might be interesting at first but would soon get to be very lonely.

I then realized/decided that the reason we're here....is to simply help each other for without each other we have nothing.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Foxman said:

The side affect is, some people mistake kindness for weakness and take advantage and it stings the tender hearted, which can lead to hard heartedness. As much as is possible, my advice is to guard the tendency toward hard heartedness which becomes skepticism, but at the same time, learn to set healthy boundaries with those who hurt, take advantage of, and abuse your kindness. Boundaries are for your protection and the protection of the relationship.

"Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist."

- George Carlin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wall mounted paper is not always a true sign of knowledge.  Hard knocks knowledge is just as valuable and usually more applicable.  Typically people tend to migrate/ask for help from people whom they know can get the job done.  Don't sell yourself short @joessportster.  I too help friend in need because, it seems, a lot of my friend are not around anymore.

A friend of mine has a PhD, DVM. and MBA behind behind his name and you still have to remind him it's raining outside so he can go and roll up his car windows.

• Like 1