The New Jubilee

artto

Hey Claude,

"built by a Canadian friend 

Even thought the Bills won this aft, I was still feeling a little blue... for what ever reason.

The above quote made me feel better!!!

The felling is mutual.

And thanks for the heads up Randy.

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2021 at 9:11 PM, HPower said:

Hey Claude,

"built by a Canadian friend 

Even thought the Bills won this aft, I was still feeling a little blue... for what ever reason.

The above quote made me feel better!!!

The felling is mutual.

And thanks for the heads up Randy.

I wasn't sure if you wanted me to post your name. You did an incredible job on those babies. Too bad I didn't have enough room for them in my tiny World War II house to keep them as R and L channels for my Atmos setup. The 4K TV won that battle. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't make any money on the sale, just broke even. The Diamond Jubes will be even bigger, but not needing a Sub woofer with them will be a plus. I had about a Plus 6 db PEQ at 32 Hz. and I could feel my calf muscles move. I can't even Imagine what Roy's new creation will be like going "20 and below," YIKES!

• Like 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I wasn't sure if you wanted me to post your name. You did an incredible job on those babies. Too bad I didn't have enough room for them in my tiny World War II house to keep them as R and L channels for my Atmos setup. The 4K TV won that battle. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't make any money on the sale, just broke even. The Diamond Jubes will be even bigger, but not needing a Sub woofer with them will be a plus. I had about a Plus 6 db PEQ at 32 Hz. and I could feel my calf muscles move. I can't even Imagine what Roy's new creation will be like going "20 and below," YIKES!

So I got a tad more bit of information recently. 

There will the the 75th Anniversary Jubilee, and the Jubilee, and one pair, one pair only of the Diamond Jubilee. 

Stay tuned.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

So I got a tad more bit of information recently. 

There will the the 75th Anniversary Jubilee, and the Jubilee, and one pair, one pair only of the Diamond Jubilee. 

Stay tuned.

I don't exactly understand your differentiation, if that was your intent.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I don't exactly understand your differentiation, if that was your intent.

Simply that the name of the speaker that is to be released soon is the Jubilee (initially in a 75th Anniv. Ed.) It's not the Diamond Jubilee, or "Diamond Jubes". Referring to it as Diamond Jubilee, or Diamond Jubes could prove to be confusing down the road. 

• Moderators
On 9/26/2021 at 6:16 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Here's a picture of a Clone of the "unofficial never released Jubilee" built by a Canadian friend out of Baltic Birch and Tigerwood Veneer. Owned by me, with TAD drivers in them 402's, for about a year before I had to Downsize. That should hold you over and show you possibilities.

IMG_1418.thumb.JPG.0cdefdeb8986bc4ea75e22c384758fd7.JPG

"Clone", is that code for rip off? 

You didn't call it a Jubilee at the time did you? and violate Klipsch's trademark?

How on earth would a pair of ripped off copies of a completely different bass bin, referred to in a light that violates trademark, hold anybody over?

9 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Simply that the name of the speaker that is to be released soon is the Jubilee (initially in a 75th Anniv. Ed.) It's not the Diamond Jubilee, or "Diamond Jubes". Referring to it as Diamond Jubilee, or Diamond Jubes could prove to be confusing down the road. 

Indeed. You mean more confusing than right now? Roger that.

9 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

"Clone", is that code for rip off? 

You didn't call it a Jubilee at the time did you? and violate Klipsch's trademark?

How on earth would a pair of ripped off copies of a completely different bass bin, referred to in a light that violates trademark, hold anybody over?

Spoken like a true Lawyer!

Back to the OP's original POINT....................without the quasi emotional flurry of responses........with my simple OPINION.

The rendering of the new Jubilee in Video and Brochure with the modified "tweeter range phase plug angle spreader" for the amazing new driver is what I base this on.

IF Roy's new speaker is to command the level of pricing that is common with the "Axpona Crowd" vs. the cheapskate Klipsheads that frequent this forum, Then simply enclosing the back of the K402 (newer version?) with the same Veneered Lumber as the front would greatly add to the Perceived Value from that added aesthetic, IMHO. So if the speaker are placed out of corners (like the photos and video renderings), then we should NOT see the guts of the thing at all (taking a page from the Palladium book in terms of looks).

Kind of like my friend's new C8 Corvette..........the new Jubilee has to look good from all angles of walking around it to command such a high price. Torqueing and taming the beast with PEQ's isn't enough. It also has to LOOK as great as it sounds when you start the engine!

Note to the Chief (the Smart*** in me talking): Summer's over and we are into fall now, so where is it?????

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Back to the OP's original POINT....................without the quasi emotional flurry of responses........with my simple OPINION.

The rendering of the new Jubilee in Video and Brochure with the modified "tweeter range phase plug angle spreader" for the amazing new driver is what I base this on.

IF Roy's new speaker is to command the level of pricing that is common with the "Axpona Crowd" vs. the cheapskate Klipsheads that frequent this forum, Then simply enclosing the back of the K402 (newer version?) with the same Veneered Lumber as the front would greatly add to the Perceived Value from that added aesthetic, IMHO. So if the speaker are placed out of corners (like the photos and video renderings), then we should NOT see the guts of the thing at all (taking a page from the Palladium book in terms of looks).

Kind of like my friend's new C8 Corvette..........the new Jubilee has to look good from all angles of walking around it to command such a high price. Torqueing and taming the beast with PEQ's isn't enough. It also has to LOOK as great as it sounds when you start the engine!

Note to the Chief (the Smart*** in me talking): Summer's over and we are into fall now, so where is it?????

It may be fall up there, doesn't get to be Fall in Hope until mid to late October.  I suspect you will be hearing much more by then.

But you forgot the all new bass bin that goes to 18 or lower, with even lower distortion than the KHJ-LF, which had a fraction of the distortion of the Khorn. Full range, lower distortion. 

Why on earth would you walk around a 1/8 space designed speaker and look at it from all angles? 

What's in the high 20K to mid 30K  price range these days?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

It may be fall up there, doesn't get to be Fall in Hope until mid to late October.  I suspect you will be hearing much more by then.

But you forgot the all new bass bin that goes to 18 or lower, with even lower distortion than the KHJ-LF, which had a fraction of the distortion of the Khorn. Full range, lower distortion. 

Why on earth would you walk around a 1/8 space designed speaker and look at it from all angles? 

What's in the high 20K to mid 30K  price range these days?

Real simple answer to your question. Some people prefer the sound of speakers that are NOT in corners, especially those that have Open Baffle speakers that work to create an amazing 3-dimensional ILLUSION. This as opposed to the "wall of sound" that results from corner placement, with bass boost that is NOT FLAT. In fact the best sounding HORNS I heard at Axpona (2014-2015) were the Sadurni Stacatto Horns (designed by another wild Mexican) with subs that were NOT in corners. They won best sound at the show, beating out all of the others, even the Magico and Wilson offerings.

Heck, even PWK did NOT have his Khorns in his ROOM Corners, but had his False Corners around his Khorns away from walls by a big picture window. IOW, the 4x4 foot false corners simply completed the mouth of the horn. I was there for an afternoon of listening, as I'm guessing all Klipsch Engineers had the same experience at some point. I also had one false corner for my Khorns for one of my domiciles when needed, so I actually built it according to the plans in Dope from Hope. PWK's horns and Center Belle were not custom anything, they were just Walnut Veneered right from the factory floor with AA networks. But because they were, by design, in a HUGE living room (with 2 grand pianos on the listener's right for Ms. Valerie). One of the things I admired about PWK is that he practiced what he preached and vice versa.

My good buddy Architect/Home Builder/Speaker builder going back almost 50 years recently finished a vertical line array, 2.0, open baffle speaker using assymetrical open back/front slot load bass section that gets down to the low 20's without modern digital PEQ "torquing" the signal, but using all passive network. It took several years to achieve this Magnum Opus. Phase response is linear when all the voice coils are in the same plane, unlike horns. It uses 8 Eminence woofers per speaker, 15 midbass drivers, and 24 tweeters. It measure and SOUNDS incredible. 

The low IM distortion and transient response is the next best thing to an all horn setup that I had in his house for a month of listening. The bonus is much deeper soundstage and the speakers simply DISSAPEAR. Yes, they have high sensitivity, not quite as high as horns, but pretty darn close, with all those magnets/voice coils working together.

This is the thing that most non-horn guys look for and like in a speaker. The new Jubilee has the opportunity to work out of the corners and are even SHOWN that way in the videos and pictures.

So, I feel pretty strongly that the new Jubilee should be a fully enclosed cabinet, top and bottom with Veneer if they are to compete in the World that I just described.

In the modern days of Good/Cheap/Chip Amps all the way to Great Class D discrete amplifiers, losing 6-9 db of "free corner boost" is no big deal. And using 2.5 watts instead of a Khorn's 1/4 Watt RMS to get 80 db level in the sweet spot is no challenge or expensive these days. So you get Low Distortion (#1 of the 4 requirements by PWK) as well as a more 3D presentation while the speakers dissapear from the sound field.

What I'm saying is that Klipsch Fanatics need to get their Heads out of the Corners once in a while and listen to and acknowledge alternative room placements.

If I were a rich man with a mansion/big rooms, I would have BOTH all horn systems (Jubilees) and Open Baffle speakers (Like the Caver Amazing Platinums) that had incredible IMAGING capabilities for an even greater illusion. But since I have a friend with OB Line Arrays, and horns at home, I don't have to be rich to appreciate their respective qualities.

So, I think the MARKET for the biggest Home Horn ever built in Hope, needs to have the ability to place them out of corners, since those who can afford them will have big rooms to accommodate them. If that's the case, Non Corner placement should be an option for both sound AND Looks!! So basically the entire new Jubilee should have full Veneer finish for the entire thing, front and rear, if it's to sell in the "high end" market and not just contain, effectively, a "bigger Cornwall" inside of a big folded shorthorn. Either way, I'm not the one that has to do it and it's only my OPINION, no more, no less.

• Like 2

Two brief comments regarding the above. 

1) Yes, there is an advertisement (photo/rendering) of the new Jubilees out in the room and not in, or near, the corners. However my understanding is that the new Jubilees are meant to be in, or near, the corners. The set up depicted was for advertising purposes and not meant as a recommendation. 

2) There are a number of advantages to placing the cabinets in the corners. Certainly "corner loading" to increase the bass output, is the most important. The suggestions made to work around this are not entirely convincing. 

However, when someone pays $35K for speakers (or whatever the exact amount is), then they are entitled to put the speakers wherever they want. 

Good luck,

-Tom

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

If I were a rich man with a mansion/big rooms, I would have BOTH all horn systems (Jubilees) and Open Baffle speakers

Claude,

Have you ever heard Quad ESL, or other electrostatic speakers in a good setup?  I assume you have.  I first heard a pair in an audio shop in Cambridge, MA in the 70s.

I was so impressed I started accumulating the bits needed to build a pair of electrostatics from an article in The Audio Amateur or, possibly, Speaker Builder.  Of course life got in the way and the project died a slow death.

I agree completely about the big spaces in which we’ll heeled audiophiles will place Jubilees, I.e., the need for 360 finishing.

• Like 1

@ClaudeJ1 - My understanding is that Roy was not consulted about the renderings in the video released for CES placing the new Jubilee away from the corners.  In a discussion I had with Roy on Facebook he said the new Jubilee is like the enclosed back Klipschorn AK6 or the "Pro" version of the Jubilee, it doesn't have to be tight against the corner but still needs to be near the corner (i.e., in 1/8 space).  These are still corner horns and would also need false corners to be placed away from the room corners.

On 9/30/2021 at 9:11 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Then simply enclosing the back of the K402 (newer version?) with the same Veneered Lumber as the front

If I needed to dress up the back side of my K-402s, I would use a carbon fiber wrap or maybe wood veneer directly to the horn body. That and the exposed Celestion driver would look really good, without all the extra weight of a big wooden box.

We all have different thoughts about what is attractive, and your idea would be awesome in some of the bigger houses I have visited.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2021 at 1:03 PM, Deano1974 said:

Nice picture, that's the colour I have ordered, can't wait for photos of the real thing

Waiting is driving me nuts lol

On 9/16/2021 at 3:21 PM, MMurg said:

Me too.  I like to see the wood veneer.  Waiting for my pair is torture. 

I am looking forward to reading here on the forum that you receive your speakers and seeing pictures of the real thing!

5 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

However, when someone pays $35K for speakers (or whatever the exact amount is), then they are entitled to put the speakers wherever they want. 

I have had corner speaker placement horns for over 44 years, so I need no convincing about the benefits.

I was just speaker of the "high end" types of individuals I met a Axpona and, right or not, what they want in a loudspeaker and the whole "speakers must disappear and not be too "forward" sounding mentality.  

6 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Claude,

Have you ever heard Quad ESL, or other electrostatic speakers in a good setup?  I assume you have.  I first heard a pair in an audio shop in Cambridge, MA in the 70s.

I was so impressed I started accumulating the bits needed to build a pair of electrostatics from an article in The Audio Amateur or, possibly, Speaker Builder.  Of course life got in the way and the project died a slow death.

I agree completely about the big spaces in which we’ll heeled audiophiles will place Jubilees, I.e., the need for 360 finishing.

Oh yeah. Double stacked Quads with Decca Ribbon tweeters and big sub driver no longer made.

Dave White, an Engineer I knew from my Ann Arbor days built his own Electrostatics (with high voltage direct drive from Big Tube amps in the basement, no transformers). He was using 1/4 of a Thousandth of an inch Mylar that he rubbed Graphite on by hand to make those. He told me the President of Columbia Records used to come to his house with master tapes for a listen on his system. I swear you could tell what kind of wood the guitars were made of from that Custom system. It's the first Electrostats I heard that got loud enough for my Khorn trained ears! Impressive to say the least.

As to the Corner Jubilees, well if they need those, they can do what PWK did and build false corners too, out of Veneered lumber if need be. PWK's were just painted versions over drywall.