Mice got in Lascalas

I recently bought a pair of 1986 Lascalas and am in the process of sprucing them up. I've removed the network, tweeter, squawker and woofer from one speaker so that I can repair and refinish the cabinet. When I removed the woofer access panel I found that mice had been in the speaker.

The mice left droppings inside the cabinet and dirtied the woofer. Luckily, they didn't chew anything. I can clean the cabinet easily enough, but I'd like recommendations on how best to clean the woofer.

I'm leery of using a vacuum for fear of tearing the cone. I was planning to use a dry paintbrush, followed by a dry microfibre cloth to wipe the obvious dirt off the woofer cone. However, the cone has some areas of discolouration, I''m guessing from mouse pee. I was thinking I'd attack those areas with a damp cloth. 

Apart from the dirt, the woofers don't appear to be damaged, so that I'm hoping that a good cleaning will take care of things. I'd like to avoid having to re-cone them.

I'd welcome any suggestions on how to clean the woofers. 

Dirty woofer.JPG

I would be leery of wetting the cone too much. Some others with restoration experience may have more precise recommendations.

I do advise wearing an good mask and eye protection and latex/vinyl or nitrile gloves when cleaning areas contaminated with rodent droppings. In my part of the country the rodents carry various viruses (Hanta; West Nile; etc.) and these may be transmitted by the urine and feces.

Enjoy the ‘Scalas!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave MacKay said:

I'd welcome any suggestions on how to clean the woofers.

you  can  blow air on the speaker while using a soft  brush , so an air hose can  do , by adjusting the air pressure   stay clear of the dust cap , except with the brush  then , use some  diluted Detol cleaner on a microfiber cloth and gently wipe the cone ,, do the same inside the dog house

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2021 at 10:53 PM, RandyH said:

use some  diluted Detol cleaner on a microfiber cloth and gently wipe the cone ,, do the same inside the dog house

Randy, do you mean Dettol? I had never heard of that before.

I would think you would definitely want something that would neutralize the urine and not attack the paper. Those woofer cones are pretty tough and durable, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

As @JBCODD said above, wear a mask and gloves when cleaning up rodent droppings.  My nephew was hospitalized recently with a life threatening virus (leptospirosis) contracted while cleaning up a rats’ nest in Chicago.

Thanks to both of you for highlighting the need to take precautions when cleaning up the mouse nest.

• Like 1