'80's Khorns. $10,000

Oicu812

Marketplace is a convenient destination on Facebook to discover, buy and sell items with people in your community.
www.facebook.com

"Absolutely the best speakers I’ve ever had our heads in person. "

"Built in 1989, second owner, and hardly ever played. "  --  Even though they are the best speaker you've had in your head?

I will admit that they look to be in great condition...

227794397_10223293006585241_644012857195
227722689_10223293006825247_889482648904
233136922_10223293006425237_588719026102
234754439_10223293006705244_492044780398

Umm, no.  That price is called the sucker search.  Unless they find a sucker then those will be sitting a long time.  That is at least triple what they are going for today.

And look at the rotted out base board.  These are in Avg/poor condition assuming all the drivers work.  Sellers list the Khorns in "like new" condition.  Umm, no.

Should I contact them and let them know I paid $900 for my 1979 Khorns in much better condition, a few years ago?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Who knows where folks get their asking prices from.

They may have looked up the price for a new pair and taken off a third or whatever. It is a very quick way to "research" the price - all of 30 seconds. You would be surprised how frequently this happens when people are cleaning out the basements of a relative who just died or went to a rest home. This reminds me, I need to talk to my kids .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

You would be surprised how frequently this happens when people are cleaning out the basements of a relative who just died or went to rest home

And soon they'll be finding Jubes:)...hopefully not too soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Umm, no.  That price is called the sucker search.  Unless they find a sucker then those will be sitting a long time.  That is at least triple what they are going for today.

And look at the rotted out base board.  These are in Avg/poor condition assuming all the drivers work.  Sellers list the Khorns in "like new" condition.  Umm, no.

Should I contact them and let them know I paid $900 for my 1979 Khorns in much better condition, a few years ago?

Good catch, I didn't twig onto that the first time around! 

2 hours ago, babadono said:

And soon they'll be finding Jubes:)...hopefully not too soon.

appointment set to pick up a pair of Jubes , we get there , put a speaker on a dolly  , the seller starts crying   , Please dont take away  my Babies  , when you buy Jubes , bring ear plugs -:biggrin:

• Haha 2

There is a flipper near me who has two single KHorns for sale right now on Craigslist in Murfreesboro,Tn. One from the 50's and another from the 60's if I remember right. He is a nice guy I have done business with a few times and he wants almost 10G for the pair. As he explained to me some years ago domestic buyers are not the only competition USA Klipsch seekers have.  His foreign buyers, mainly Japanese and South Korean, are willing to spend far more and when the shipping container is full off it goes.

I had a bunch of pro gear one time and got a call from a South Korean dude and as a sideline this is exactly what he did and what he bought from me was going to be shipped.

12 minutes ago, Godataloss said:

At what point did Hope move away from plywood to mdf?  How have the older mdf examples held up?

I can't speak for KHorns but for other vintage I can. Heresy 2 seems to be about when the switchover was made so mid 80's is my guess. MDF is crap and I see more unrepairable water swollen damage, corners mashed in, screw holes stripped out, cabinets shattered from drops with MDF than that old plywood ever produced on it's worst day. Yes most of the old MDF cabinets are fine but compared to the old Fir plywood you have to be much more careful with MDF.  Accountant driven decision to save money in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I can't speak for KHorns but for other vintage I can. Heresy 2 seems to be about when the switchover was made so mid 80's is my guess. MDF is crap and I see more unrepairable water swollen damage, corners mashed in, screw holes stripped out, cabinets shattered from drops with MDF than that old plywood ever produced on it's worst day. Yes most of the old MDF cabinets are fine but compared to the old Fir plywood you have to be much more careful with MDF.  Accountant driven decision to save money in my opinion.

I can't imagine what an mdf khorn bass bin weighs.  I was surprised how easy my plywood ones were to move.  Easier than the Cornwalls I had.

2 hours ago, Godataloss said:

I can't imagine what an mdf khorn bass bin weighs.  I was surprised how easy my plywood ones were to move.  Easier than the Cornwalls I had.

I believe the entire speaker weighs around 180 pounds. 

20 hours ago, wvu80 said:

rotted out base board?  when zoomed in on the pics,  just looks like some dirt or spider webs or a light layer of mildew from being stored on a concrete floor,  definitely not rotted out. 

way over priced though for sure, i call that barret-jackson syndrome...  when a guy sees an ultra rare or top level restored car sell for big $$ on the barret jackson auctions & thinks his run of the mill average condition car is worth anywhere near those prices.  same thing here, the seller googled Khorns & saw the current price for new Khorns & thinks his are worth close to that.  ignorance is bliss & he will soon find out that nobody is even replying to the ad at that price.  or as mentioned above, he finds a sucker that googled new khorns & thinks these are a good deal! 

nice looking walnut Khorns though,  worth closer to 25-40% of his asking price though.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

There is a flipper near me who has two single KHorns for sale right now on Craigslist in Murfreesboro,Tn. One from the 50's and another from the 60's if I remember right. He is a nice guy I have done business with a few times and he wants almost 10G for the pair. As he explained to me some years ago domestic buyers are not the only competition USA Klipsch seekers have.  His foreign buyers, mainly Japanese and South Korean, are willing to spend far more and when the shipping container is full off it goes.

Funny you should say that. My southeast Asian (Vietnamese) connection doesn't buy Klipsch. They would buy Altec, JBL, and loads of Bose. And I certainly sold them lots of Bose when I was under employed and building up my own system. 

12 hours ago, Godataloss said:

At what point did Hope move away from plywood to mdf?  How have the older mdf examples held up?

The factory started using MDF  as of  the release of the  Heresy II  , Cornwall II , Forte 1 , so 1985 -     MDF is flat ,  so ideal for Veneered Speakers -

one side note the AK6  uses Birch and MDF  -

10 hours ago, RandyH said:

The factory started using MDF  as of  the release of the  Heresy II  , Cornwall II , Forte 1 , so 1985 -     MDF is flat ,  so ideal for Veneered Speakers -

one side note the AK6  uses Birch and MDF  -

Might be ideal for manufacturing them, but I would never pay retail money for any mdf Heritage.  

20 hours ago, CWOReilly said:

Funny you should say that. My southeast Asian (Vietnamese) connection doesn't buy Klipsch. They would buy Altec, JBL, and loads of Bose. And I certainly sold them lots of Bose when I was under employed and building up my own system. 

As an interesting aside here there is I think a relationship to what the military had on PX's in various countries and what is popular in various countries. I wonder if the base stores carried those brands and not Klipsch at the time. Later on Klipsch made speakers specifically for that market like the Tangents. Talking to the guy over B&C distribution in the USA one day and I asked him why so many driver manufacturers were in Italy. He told me that after WW2 there was a ton of audio gear left by the USA and looking around for things to make and sell and do after the war ended the fledgling audio manufacturing base was born from that gear.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1