Cinema 800 help

wam22

I just set up my cinema 800 5.1 system and the volume is all over the place. It will go from being near quite in scenes with dialogue to extremely loud when the action picks up. Is there any way to set a volume check/limit to stop this problem?

Also I noticed in the owners manual that the LED display will say what is being decoded (5.1, atmos, etc). However I don’t see any functionality on the remote to show this and the manual doesn’t say.

• Moderators

Welcome

1 hour ago, wam22 said:

It will go from being near quite in scenes with dialogue to extremely loud when the action picks up. Is there any way to set a volume check/limit to stop this problem?

I know nothing about the cinema 800. sorry  But it does kind of sound like it's doing what should be, there may be a way to asdjust it.

But I will say every HT I have set up here including the present one is somewhat the same, and it is very capable speakers,  that is not the problem. 

You set a volume to hear normal dialog and when something loud happens in the movie it's loud, even just someone slaming a door. I know these sounds are louder in real life but it kind of scares you if your not expecting it. Might be the point ?

I use a db meter and the receiver tones to balance the 6.1, to the listening spot. (sofa) So it is set evenly so what I hear is balanced and mixes are whatever comes off the disc. Other media, TV or streaming is the same way. 

I always wondered why don't they raise the voices slightly when they mix it, leave other sounds alone so they still sound louder than voice, just don't have as much of a difference ?  

• Like 1

The problem is that the sound is never constant. I will be watching YouTube and one video is quite then an ad will come on and I have to mute it before I lose my hearing. It is a great system, but it will be returned quickly if I can’t get this fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, wam22 said:

I just set up my cinema 800 5.1 system and the volume is all over the place. It will go from being near quite in scenes with dialogue to extremely loud when the action picks up.

No offense, but that's call a movie. What, you are describing is dynamic range and it's highly desireable.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, wam22 said:

I will be watching YouTube and one video is quite then an ad will come on and I have to mute it before I lose my hearing.

Yes that is normal, also some videos are much louder than others. I will be at the computer with headphones and I have to adjust the volume on different videos, some are low some are loud, commercials are the same way, they do not level the sound at all to even to a basic levil. Most of the time you don't notice it as much when just listening to tv speakers and some tv's have a setting to somewhat lower the commercials, but it's different with real speakers, it's not the speakers or the receiver it's the source. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Well ?

I guess no word, either thinking about it and trying to adjust or on the way to return them, didn't realize what Ht was supposed to do. Did you want just bigger tv speakers, and not a ht sound, sounds like it. 

There way be a way to make it all flat and lifeless as a tv speaker, maby ?

Were not making fun of you but what you describe is what is hoped for when someone spends money on  ht compared to just tv speakers.

• Like 2

Have you tried the sound settings on your tv? Use the tv menu and play around with whatever settings are available, you may find something that will help. Look for something called "auto volume" or "auto gain" that might give you the compression you want and get the dialog better balanced to your liking. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

My problem is when I ajust volume up on direct tv remote to my cinema 800 sound bar I tap the direct tv remote to up the volume it for instant it’s on 30 I tap up to say 31. 32 it jumps to like 60 on volume and I have to Volume down back to 32 does anyone know how to correct this problem.,