Disassembling & painting K-77 tweeters

Dave MacKay

I'm in the process of refurbishing my new-to-me 1986 Lascalas. I'd like to paint the horns (or are they called lenses?) on the K-77 tweeters to cover up some minor scratches but I can't get just the horn off.

When I separate the tweeter, the horn stays attached to a round section that has a diaphragm and is where the wires from the network connect (see photo). I haven't been able to remove the round section from the horn. I haven't applied a lot of force for fear of breaking it.

Does the horn come off? If so, how?

If the horn doesn't some off, can I just block off the little screen (at the back of the horn when viewed from the front) and paint it, or should I leave the tweeter alone?

Thanks for the advice.

front of tweeter.JPG

Tweeter horn (or lens).JPG

K-77 tweeter.JPG

I'll reply to my own posting in the hope that what I've learned might help someone searching the forum.

The lenses (horns) do come off the driver. After removing the 4 screws, it can be removed. It just takes an uncomfortable amount of force. Take care not to disconnect or break the wiring.

With the lens (horn) removed, you'll find a small black gasket and a tiny grill. I removed the little grill but left the gasket in place (but protected it with tape so that it could be re-used) when spray painting the lens/horn.

I found these These two articles to be helpful:

https://critesspeakers.com/installation-of-the-k-77-t.html

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/187809-wrong-tweeter-or-wrong-speaker/

I haven't re-assembled the tweeters yet.

• Like 1

Just to close off this topic for the benefit of anyone searching this topic in the future ...

The tweeter drivers and horns/lenses came back together without issue and seem to be fine. 

Read the posts referenced in the first reply, don't be fearful of applying a little force, and they'll turn out fine.

• Like 2