Whatever happened to Stereo Review magazine?

Music_Smurf

I don't like Sound & Vision, it's nothing but a glossy advertiser's rag. I canceled my subscription a long time ago. It was obviously designed for the Home Theater crowd with it's nice big glossy pictures and doo-dad buttons, switches and fancy lights.

This Home Theater phenomena is not "audiophile" stuff.

• Like 1

• 15 years later...

The only reason that I bought Stereo Review on a regular basis is that I loved to see the new products. Not so much for the reviews. I found it to be useful for this purpose. The actual reviews had no bearing on my choice as far as this or that audio product was concerned. What I truly miss nowadays is the way the speakers and equipment looked. Now it is a black on black and not the same as before.

Plus I was a great fan of Pioneer products and don't seem to see many of these around now....

Not a fan of Sound and Vision. I do buy Stereophile every month and have issues with them as well - primarily a focus on the exotics that are so out of range it isn’t funny. Many have been complaining on their letters page and I’ve noticed an improvement in balance the past two issues. Always nice to read an article about speakers or a component that costs more than a car, but I want an effort to cover products that the non tycoon class can actually afford. The new Forte III hasn’t been reviewed yet for example. The reality is that there are many fine products within the reach of mortal working people.

3 hours ago, JohnA said:

WOW! another thread raised from the Dead!   How did you find it?

I guess 2002 was a great year for a thread on defunct magazines and is a subject Mr. CloudStrife wanted to bring up in his first ever post on the Klipsch Forums.  B)

I was published one time on a Audio/electronics Magazine...

305273_eSejAgsbFeY2iE6g0w9RTQdET.jpg

I designed the custom floor in this room...

305273_otZGfqM0QZXso8wjOBbJyezFI.jpg

305273_tIQRqDYZ8a3boXXQkmuB3HN4o.jpg

Those notes actually sound out one the James Bond Themes... this customer was a James Bond Nut.

• Like 1

Stereo Review magazine was a good magazine. The magazine reviewed products that people could actually afford, unlike Stereophile magazine. Also, Stereo Review was a great source for novices to learn about hifi.

I enjoyed the record reviews in Stereo Review.
Back in the day I subscribed to Stereo Review, Audio, and High Fidelity. Sure do miss them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Sound and Vision, they seem to look at everyday equipment

and give facts about it.

Some of those other stereo mags only had very expensive gear

that most of us could not buy.

I used the review of my Denon AVR when buying it

to help me decide and found the info to be true.

My Denon has great sound and is very versitile

in setting up my sound to suit my taste.

I owe all my success to Sound and Vision--Thank you very much.

My wife had a couple of her friends over for a gab fest yesterday so she gave me an afternoon pass to the Irish pub across the street. Popped into the variety store on the way and picked up the new Sound and Vision (buy a couple issues a year and the new Stereophile wasn’t out yet). Had a few Black and Tans and read it cover to cover. They gave the budget Klipsch  Reference Theatre Pack a pretty good review. Four out of five stars for performance, three and a half for build quality and four of five for value. Not too shabby.

edit: I also noticed that Marantz took a full back cover for their AV8805 Pre Amp.