84 vs 00 LS

Tito72

Hi guys! I have the opportunity to buy a pair of used La Scala. I have to choose between two options. Both are working and in very good condition, but there are significant differences between them.

1 Year 84, K77 square magnet, K55M, original xo type L.

2 Year 00, K55V, ALK type A network.

Which one would you choose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x over on the 84 would be AL not L

That would need to be replaced which would add cost. Figure that in when you compare the two price wise.

Like so many things, it may depend on who owned them first, little old lady or head banger!

Both very good options if functioning correctly. 

Not really anything to worry about. It just needs to be replaced. Recapping is not recommended.

You can pick up a used AA and recap it or get a new AA or A from Crites. Many options.

Just wanted you to compare apples to apples. The 00 probably would not need any update.

3 hours ago, MookieStl said:

Just wanted you to compare apples to apples. The 00 probably would not need any update.

That's still 30+ years... maybe ok.

My '89s had ALs in them... I replaced them with one designed by John Albright. Nice, simple crossover, with a swamping resistor.

Maybe he will comment.  @JohnA

• Klipsch Employees
6 hours ago, MookieStl said:

x over on the 84 would be AL not L

That would need to be replaced which would add cost. Figure that in when you compare the two price wise.

Like so many things, it may depend on who owned them first, little old lady or head banger!

Both very good options if functioning correctly. 

Why?

On 8/13/2021 at 2:15 PM, Tito72 said:

Yes, you are right! AL.

Thanks for pointing that, some comments about the L’s got me worried about that option. 

you can buy Klipsch OEM Capacitors    to upgrade  the AL crossover  from @JEM Performance  , no worries whatsoever

23 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Why?

Why do I feel I just got challenged to a slapping contest by Mike Tyson?

Why to which part?

If you are referring to swap out the AL, you know better than anyone if that's necessary, enlighten us.

I saved the OP time researching. The AL (AB AK) all get  beat up pretty good here and elsewhere.

I've been tinkering with speakers for over 40 years and the biggest single improvement (to my ears) over those years was when I got rid of my ALs and replaced with AAs. Not just a slight improvement, but a huge improvement. More than when I swapped out my ABs for another x over. Everyone's experience differs. 

Yours is vast compared to mine. You could help the OP more by answering his question than questioning my answer.

For what it’s worth... I had read all of the horror stories about AL (and their kindred AK and AB) crossovers.

Had such a great impact on me I made sure my first pair of La Scalas did NOT have that crossover. Even went so far as to snag a deal on a pair of A/4500 crossovers and CT-120 tweeters BEFORE even owning a pair of La Scalas in anticipation of having to swap ‘em out.

My first pair had AL-3 crossovers. Sounded so nice to my untrained ears I NEVER even tried the A/4500s or CT-120 tweeters.

Sold the LS with the AL-3s when I got a pair of LSI Splits with AL crossovers. 

But not before doing a little head to head for a few weeks.

Honestly, the AL crossover did not make me run to my desk with my ears on fire to replace them with the Crites mods I had waiting in a box for just such an emergency.

The AL accoutred La Scalas were nothing to sneeze at.

• Like 1