Chorus II speakers leaking fluid how do I fix?

jkell425

Hi..

I bought my Klipsch Chorus II speakers brand new in 1988 and I still use them.  

awhile back they started leaking some kind of fluid on the back side. 

my friend tells me tagged the capacitors are the problem and I’m hoping that someone can help me find the parts to fix them repaired. 

I love the speakers and just want to get them back to normal. 

thank you!!    -Jon Kelly.   jkelly425@yahoo.com

leaking fluid? from where & what kind of fluid?

"tagged the capacitors are the problem"?  not sure what that means, can you elaborate more on some details?  or post a pic of the leaking fluid??

the crossover capacitors in these speakers are a mylar film type & dont have any fluid to leak... there are very small electrolytic caps but i doubt its enough fluid that it would leak out of the cabinet even if it did leak all its fluid. 

you can buy new capacitors from many places like parts express or a company called crites speakers who sells replacement caps & x-overs for klipsch speakers.  you can also pull the rear passive woofer or the front mid horn to get a look inside to see if you can determine what the fluid is & where its coming from. 

you should be able to get some help but more info is needed &/pics showing whats leaking?   

3 hours ago, jkell425 said:

the capacitors are the problem and I’m hoping that someone can help me find the parts to fix them repaired

reach out to https://jemperformanceaudio.com/ , they are  THE sole  USA  klipsch Certified Crossover Repair Center , they only use Klipsch OEM Capacitors for superior sound quality -

you can send in your Crossovers and they can ship them back to you , fully upgraded for the next 30 years -

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jkell425 said:

there was Ferro-fluid in the HF  , but ferro-fluid is magnetic ,and it dries over time , so this is a long shot -

IF the Crossovers are  leaking , it should be cleaned ASAP as any fluid will damage the MDF -

• Like 1

IF the crossovers are leaking, i would be more concerned with damage to the crossover PCB than the inside wood of the cabinet. 

but again, the amount of fluid inside the small electrolytic caps on these crossovers  most likely would not leak through the cabinets & show up on the outside.  its possible it could leak enough to seep around the speaker terminal edges but we still dont know where its leaking from or what the fluid is.  

the amount of ferro fluid in the tweeter is not enough to leak out of the cabinet IMO.  if it did leak out, which there is not much chance of, it would drip a few drops straight down on the bottom of the cabinet & not come out.  

hopefully the OP can post more info &/or pics so we can determine what is leaking & why.  

On 8/13/2021 at 9:40 AM, jkell425 said:

Hi..

I bought my Klipsch Chorus II speakers brand new in 1988 and I still use them.  

my friend tells me tagged the capacitors are the problem and I’m hoping that someone can help me find the parts to fix them repaired. 

I love the speakers and just want to get them back to normal. 

thank you!!    -Jon Kelly.   jkelly425@yahoo.com

did we lose the OP?  sure would like to know what he found on the mystery leaking fluid....

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 6 months later...

Hi.  

I had posted earlier about my Klipsch Chorus ii speakers leaking fluid.  

it appeared to be a green gooey liquid periodically dripping from the rear around where the speaker wire connections are. 
this was years ago.

The speakers sounded ok like 2 years ago when I last used them.

just now wanting to use them again and didn’t want to power them up if I was going to cause damage.  
just looking for advice. Thank you!!!

9 hours ago, Jon kelly said:

I had posted earlier about my Klipsch Chorus ii speakers leaking fluid. it appeared to be a green gooey liquid periodically dripping from the rear around where the speaker wire connections are. just now wanting to use them again and didn’t want to power them up if I was going to cause damage. just looking for advice. Thank you!!!

Can you post pictures? 

23 hours ago, Jon kelly said:

Hi.  

I had posted earlier about my Klipsch Chorus ii speakers leaking fluid.  

it appeared to be a green gooey liquid periodically dripping from the rear around where the speaker wire connections are. 
this was years ago.

The speakers sounded ok like 2 years ago when I last used them.

just now wanting to use them again and didn’t want to power them up if I was going to cause damage.  
just looking for advice. Thank you!!!

yes we really need pics to see what is happening. 

as i mentioned earlier, i dont think there is enough fluid in the small electrolytic caps or the tweeters to actually leak through the cabinets & drip out.  please post pics. 

edit:  also to note, the ferro fluid in the tweeters is a very dark brown color, not green.  same for most electrolytic capacitors ive seen that leaked, it was a dark brown color.  hopefully we can get some pics to see what this mysterious green fluid thats dripping out is. or even better, pull the complete speaker wire terminal with the crossover attached so we can get a closer look at the capacitors.  

also important, is that if it is leaking caps, guaranteed they are no longer within the intended specification & should be replaced ASAP.   

I'm going with a 0% chance it's anything from the capacitors.

As for the ferro-fluid I have no experience with, but that's easy to test just see if it sticks to some steel or use a magnet and see if there is a response putting a magnet near the fluid like attraction or repulsion. As others have mentioned there isn't a lot of this fluid in the HF so that's even a long shot but I'd say that's a better guess than the capacitors leaking anything out as you described.

Also dab a little up with white paper towel, what color is it on the white paper? What does it feel like? Smell like?

I'll echo the need for pictures, they are worth a thousand words and if you are truly asking for help it's a small step to getting some actual answers.

On 8/13/2021 at 11:16 AM, dtel said:

The smart thing to do would be to look inside and see what is leaking before doing anything else. 

Ridiculous advice.  Start buying parts right away, caps, woofers, binding post, whatever you can find, then put it all in a box, put everything in a storage shed and forget about them for 20 years.  They will be fine when you take them out in 2042.

• Haha 3