Price of steel

Dave A

Well, I ran diesel fuel in my motor oil and it did seem to help. I eventually rebuilt the engine with NON-AFM parts though. 4 quarts motor oil with 2 quarts diesel to make up the 6 and drove it a few hundred miles. Did not seem to hurt anything. Your results may vary. :)

They were selling/recommending another technique, Seafoam.

https://seafoamworks.com/stop-the-smoke-cures-for-burning-oil/

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Well, I ran diesel fuel in my motor oil and it did seem to help. I eventually rebuilt the engine with NON-AFM parts though. 4 quarts motor oil with 2 quarts diesel to make up the 6 and drove it a few hundred miles. Did not seem to hurt anything. Your results may vary. :)

They were selling/recommending another technique, Seafoam.

https://seafoamworks.com/stop-the-smoke-cures-for-burning-oil/

One thing I tried yers ago with a work truck was Restore, the engine was just worn out and burned a little oil. I tried this and it helped, more power and no oil consumption, I ended up getting the engine rebuilt. They sell it in different size cans, 4, 6 and 8 cylinders. 

400ml-ametech-restore-engine-restorer-lubricant-22-p.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

That was supposed to be a PM about the engine treatment lol. Got crossed up on that somehow.

It was, just everyone could see it, thought it looked out of place, but is anything in this section  ?

OK back to steel I normally could not afford.  

image.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 6:57 PM, Dave A said:

OK First off this is meant to be informative and not to start acrimonious political debate or snark. @dwilawyer please delete this or moderate this as you please.

Today I went to my steel supplier for the first time in some months. Hot Roll Mild Steel is is the cheapest commodity there is in the steel world. Last October my supplier was buying at 35 cents a pound. A few months back we were discussing stupid high prices at 75 cents a pound. Today the price is $1.78 PER POUND and if you do not order right then the price can and will change. Since I have been in the business beginning in 1981there has never been anything even remotely close to this run up. One time about 15 years ago there were problems in Africa that disrupted Nickel production and that caused Nickel to top $30,000 a ton briefly. Anything using Nickel like stainless steel  went through the roof. No one seems to know why this current steel run up is going on.

If any of you have major plans involving anything using materials you might want to either put them on hold for some time or do it quickly or at least check in to see what the price tend is. Personally I can't see how this can go on for much longer before cost kills demand. The cheapest double wide around here is $140,000 now. Scary stuff.

A client just purchased a wideflange beam for his new lake house. Beam weight 3,344 lbs, he paid $0.66/lbs.

Steel Costs also vary with shape, for example hot rolled tubes are more per pound than say heavy angle iron or channel sections of the same weight.

Texas's residential market is going bonkers.... house selling for stupid hight prices. Too many Californians are flocking to Texas. My wife's cousin sold her Austin home for $60k over the asking price (sold to Californian). 2x lumber is finally started coming down in price now that AR mills are producing again, but plywood cost are still stupid high.

Countless home builders not using plywood, and screwing up the framing. Good advice for your children and future grand children is DO NOT BUY A HOUSE built between 2020 and 20** (TBD).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm putting off buying just about everything I don't need. Pulled money out and paid off the WRX and Harley. I won't participate in being gouged unless there's no other choice. I was house shopping earlier in the year. People wanted stupid money for ill maintained shacks. So I'm not in that market at least until next year.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

CR is 2 to 3x more than HR.

This always true because CR is additional work to the already produced HR plate. With the harder surface of CR more force is also required and the finish is of higher quality which = $.

3 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

With the harder surface of CR more force is also required and the finish is of higher quality which = $.

Close. You're right in the amount of force, one being rolled while hot and the other when cold.  1018 CR and 1018 HR has the same amount of Carbon.. ~ 0.18%, iron, manganese, corn cobs, cigarette butts, etc  ... ~ same hardness, CR being a bit softer. The difference is the process / finish, which changes the tensile strengths and such. 

My supplier said that the costs are up 3x what they were this time last year.     

On 8/14/2021 at 6:56 PM, geezin' said:

I'm putting off buying just about everything I don't need. Pulled money out and paid off the WRX and Harley. I won't participate in being gouged unless there's no other choice. I was house shopping earlier in the year. People wanted stupid money for ill maintained shacks. So I'm not in that market at least until next year.

Governments are raking in , tons of  Capital gain taxes ,  by the times , School and municipal Taxes will be re- evaluated next Year , we may all see hefty tax increases -

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

~ same hardness, CR being a bit softer.

Oh funny. No, I'm talking about the harness of the metal during the rolling process .........NOT the finished product. A LOT more expensive to cold roll than hot because the metal is much harder to actually roll when it's cold.