Yamaha RX V363 Receiver powerful enough for Klipsch RP600M?

andytong619

1 minute ago, andytong619 said:

Ahh, that makes a lot of sense. I guess it would be good to keep that in mind. Never really understand all the WPC/continuous output stuff until now.

So in my case, the 600 are rated at 100, it would be nice to have a 150? And right now the RX V363 is 100 WPC, so it is not ideal but it will work?

To be clear, the 363 is not 100 WPC.  It is 100 WPC if only two channels are driven.  If it exceeds 2 channels, it falls to around 75 (at 3), 35-40 (at 5), 15 or so (at 7).  The maximum power output is 235 W.  That means that the most power the AVR can put out at any given time is 235 watts.  But you also have to remember it has to process video, audio, and then some.  So not all of that 235W is going to be sent as audio power.

I would look first for something that will give you a proper 100 WPC all channels driven.  

3 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

To be clear, the 363 is not 100 WPC.  It is 100 WPC if only two channels are driven.  If it exceeds 2 channels, it falls to around 75 (at 3), 35-40 (at 5), 15 or so (at 7).  The maximum power output is 235 W.  That means that the most power the AVR can put out at any given time is 235 watts.  But you also have to remember it has to process video, audio, and then some.  So not all of that 235W is going to be sent as audio power.

I would look first for something that will give you a proper 100 WPC all channels driven.  

Okay, but if I really use the 363 to run the 600 and 400, will I damage the speakers in any way? Because they dont have enough power, since there will only be 75 watts when there are three speakers.

Just now, andytong619 said:

Okay, but if I really use the 363 to run the 600 and 400, will I damage the speakers in any way? Because they dont have enough power, since there will only be 75 watts when there are three speakers.

As long as you don't drive them to clip, no.  Distortion hurts your ears, but it also hurts your speakers.  Keep that in mind, and just listen for changes in audio that don't sound quite right.  If something sounds off, it's time to back off.  You will notice a substantial difference going up to the RX-A models.

Can I ask what your budget is and what you're aiming for in the long run?

3 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

As long as you don't drive them to clip, no.  Distortion hurts your ears, but it also hurts your speakers.  Keep that in mind, and just listen for changes in audio that don't sound quite right.  If something sounds off, it's time to back off.  You will notice a substantial difference going up to the RX-A models.

Can I ask what your budget is and what you're aiming for in the long run?

If I just watch movies at a reasonable volume, they wont clip, right?

In the long run, I am hoping for either a 5.2.4 or 7.2.4, but I mean it is a goal, depends on the circumstances. I know for a fact that I wont be adding more speakers in 2 years, just gonna have the 600 and a centre channel for the coming 2 years. Budget-wise, I guess $250CAD? Cause doesnt matter which receiver I get right now, I am gonna be selling it after 2 years regardless.

3 hours ago, The History Kid said:

You should be fine with movies, yes.  $250CAD is on the low side, but have you checked places like eBay to see if you can get something with a little more meat, just wondering.

Yea, I know. Originally I was gonna buy the RX V385, but then I saw a used 363 for really cheap. Then just want to see will it work for my case here.

I will upgrade the receiver for sure if I am gonna add more speakers other than the centre and front left/right.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi, I'm new to forum but yes it should run at 6ohms or 8 ohms, you will need to set that in your speaker settings when setting up your receiver. U can use the YPAO mic and it will do most of the work for you. I have the RX-v663 and like it for the most part.

Up till now my RX-v663 runs (2) F-30's, (2) R-41's, (2) B-20's a center channel speaker ??? and (2) SS-5BK's as presence speakers and now I've been running 2 Heresy-ish type sprakers as well. i do thik it is time fo an amplifier though. or two.