Vacuum Tube Voltage Regulation

artto

Here's my dumb question of the day. I'm pretty sure the answer is as usual......"it depends"

With that in mind I'd like to hear some arguments for and against, why, and why not (as in don't bother, or why solid state regulation would be preferred) using vacuum tubes for voltage regulation in tube power amps. More specifically, in SET amps. And even more specifically Decware Super Zen Triode 25th Anniversary Edition (Model SE 84UFO25).

Fire Away!!!!!!  🤩

On 8/14/2021 at 2:22 PM, artto said:

Here's my dumb question of the day. I'm pretty sure the answer is as usual......"it depends"

With that in mind I'd like to hear some arguments for and against, why, and why not (as in don't bother, or why solid state regulation would be preferred) using vacuum tubes for voltage regulation in tube power amps. More specifically, in SET amps. And even more specifically Decware Super Zen Triode 25th Anniversary Edition (Model SE 84UFO25).

Fire Away!!!!!!  🤩

Voltage regulation in SETs is unnecessary due to the near constant dc current draw under all operating conditions.  Of course VR tubes are pretty to look at in a dark room!  Deckert is using the option of different voltage drops among some of them to change the plate voltage of the driver which, of course, changes the distortion characteristics to tailor the sound to suit.  This could more easily be done other ways but that would not have the “coolness” factor of the VR tubes.  Only you can decide if it is worth the extra cost.

Maynard

• Like 1