Finished My "Cornscala" Project

TubesGlo

I stuck to the plans using all of Crites supplied components. Cabinets are of Baltic Birch. I'm no cabinet maker but they're all squared up, braced, glued and screwed tight. Most importantly, they sound awesome. Much better than I imagined, I'm very pleased.

20210811_161828_copy_567x671.jpg

20210815_133411_copy_894x1590.jpg

20210815_080718_copy_912x1622.jpg

20210816_182557_copy_1892x1064.jpg

Edited by TubesGlo
Changing photo
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3

UPDATE: 
20210819_170452.thumb.jpg.4f782a97c74fd11dcfd7fe81d75e2238.jpgIt hasn't even been a week and I am totally convinced these speakers were the best option for me. I was skeptical going in because I really wanted genuine Klipsch Heritage Cornwalls. I never heard Crites "Cornscala's" and bought in based on opinions and reviews of others. They are of course larger than what they replaced and they do everything in a bigger way. Huge soundstage with realism and detail at all volume levels, effortless with no strain.
I've read comments stating bass can be lacking? I would say something else in the system is lacking if thats the perception. The listening space is critical to the experience. Even my dedicated room could be bigger but it is tight and treated. Rectangular at 14x20 with one door, no windows, isolated from living space. I love what these speakers are doing for my music and I loved the speakers they replaced, something I thought I'd never do. Powered by a modest completely overhauled ST-70 with a stock style replacement circuit board running old Mullard EL34's XF2, there is a sweetness along with authoritive dynamic power that draws you in to the musical presentation. Another satisfied Cornscala owner.
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
Edited by TubesGlo
Spelling
  • Like 11

Nice of Klipsch to allow DIY and Mod posts on here

I believe Klipsch benefits from some free R&D

some of the projects seem to have found their way into the Heritage line up.

Certainly Crites did more to keep the Heritage line alive than anyone else I can think of

and a fine Gentleman. RIP

Nice looking project

what is the sound damping material in your build ?

And the list of other components ?

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, ricktate said:

They look awesome and very solid. Did you veneer them on just leave edges showing??? Wish i could come over and hear them....

The Baltic Birch finish was pristine so I stained them as is. The color I chose is dark enough that you don't notice the unfinished edges. If you're in the Cape Cod area you're welcome to have a listen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bubo said:

Certainly Crites did more to keep the Heritage line alive than anyone else I can think of

Nice looking project

Knowing early Cornwalls were lightly dampened with material that wasn't dense I used a paper-cotton blended absorbent material our lab uses at work. It does the job. I used an adhesive backed rubberized window and door flashing to dampen the horns.. It's a Crites style B build. 120 tweeter, 405 driver (JBL), M2380 horn and Crites 1526 woofer (Eminence). Stock Crites 500/5000 crossover. 

I used Premium 3/4 Baltic Birch with 3/4 poplar bracing. They're heavy and solid, glued and screwed with Titebond 3. I'm not hearing any cabinet resonance being introduced. 

Edited by TubesGlo
Add sentence
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Excellent looking and you have a right to be proud. If I did not already have LaScala's this is the way I would go. Best bang for buck. 

Yes, in my case it came down to cost. I wanted the genuine Cornwall IV but just couldn't swing it. I gambled and built these instead. I never heard Cornwalls in my own room so I don't know how these actually compare but I'm very happy and satisfied with the results.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bubo said:

Nice looking project

Imitation is the highest form of flattery as they say. Anyone who is interested in a Crites design is well inside the Klipsch fold.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...