Klipsch raising Heritage prices AGAIN on September 1st - this time 15%

Schwa

I received an email from Upscale Audio this morning stating that Klipsch is raising prices on the Heritage line 15% across the board on September 1st.  This is on top of the 10% Heritage price increase that took place back in June.

In other words, when I bought my Cornwall IV speakers back in November 2020, the MSRP was $6K/pr.  On September 1st, I believe Upscale quoted the new MSRP as $7588/pr.   As you can imagine, the price hike on the more expensive speakers in the line is even more severe.

What gives?  COVID resurgence and “inflation” isn’t sufficient explanation for a 25%+ price increase year-over-year on an existing model.  Or maybe it is, but if those are the real reasons, shouldn’t we expect prices to drop once supply catches up?  I love my Cornwalls, and I’m a dedicated Klipsch fan through-and-through, but this latest price increase puts a bad taste in my mouth.  Quite simply, it feels a little like price gouging, especially coming so close on the heels of a previous significant price hike.

What do you folks think?

• Like 2

Usually gas going up raises prices on everything across the board.

The chinese shutting down that giant port probably played a part. The hysteria over the plague probably factors into it somehow now a days.

I see plenty of tractor-trailers on I-85, why are there empty store shelves?

Well I have stocked up on dry goods, canned proteins, cleaning stuff and a little bourbon lately myself!

• Like 1

I doubt the prices will ever go down.  Have they ever in the past?

I sold Rolex watches at an authorized dealer for almost 20 years.  In our training we learned that one of Rolex's fundamentals was that the price of a new Rolex will never be decreased.  So, if a solid gold Rolex sells for $25,000 today and the price of gold drops in half, the price of that Rolex will stay at $25,000.

Not the same as Klipsch, I know, but that's just how things work with higher end goods.

When I bought my first Klipsch Cornwalls in around 1980, Heritage were pricey, but attainable for many. Now Heritage, including Heresy, have gone from attainable to aspirational for many, in my opinion. At 65 and retired on a fixed income, they have become unattainable for me. 

• Like 2

Over 8k for Cornwalls OTD with tax factored in?  Too damn much, sorry. I bought b stock Cornwall IIIs 2 years ago for 2500 OTD brand new.  Almost four times the price in 2 years..... I'm sure they are fantastic speakers, but that some serious coin considering you'll likely want to spend a nice chunk on the rest of the system as well.  Just my thoughts.  

1 hour ago, Kevin S said:

When I bought my first Klipsch Cornwalls in around 1980, Heritage were pricey, but attainable for many. Now Heritage, including Heresy, have gone from attainable to aspirational for many, in my opinion.

25 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Over 8k for Cornwalls OTD with tax factored in?  Too damn much, sorry. I bought b stock Cornwall IIIs 2 years ago for 2500 OTD brand new.  Almost four times the price in 2 years..... I'm sure they are fantastic speakers, but that some serious coin considering you'll likely want to spend a nice chunk on the rest of the system as well.  Just my thoughts.  

Exactly.  For many this price leap puts the Cornwalls out of reach; in fact, many might question why all of a sudden they have to pay Cornwall IV money for Forte IV speakers.

Oh well.  No doubt the glowing reviews of the newest Heritage line-up have increased demand for the speakers.  But still, I hoped Klipsch would hold the line after the first 10% price increase and continue to offer good value for the dollar across the Heritage range.  At least I bought my CWIVs when pricing was more sane, but at this rate I'll have to take out a second mortgage to buy the Cornwall Vs when they come out in 5-10 years.

Not going one way or the other on this, but here are some facts to consider...

Two different retailers show the Klipschorn AK6 at $8249 each.  I have a pricing sheet from 1 October 1967, which shows a K-B-WO Klipschorn at $804 each.

Using the inflation calculator at https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm, $804 in Oct 1967 is worth $6513 in July, 2021.

$8249-$6513 = $1736.  The AK6 contains the new tweeter, the new cable management system, and enclosed backs which the 1967 model did not have.

I don't know how much to assign to each of those new features, but lumber prices have gone up too, as well as fuel.

As far as them being priced out of reach, I felt this 35 years ago when I was in my 20's.  No way could I afford a new pair any time between 1986 and now.  I settled for used.

To be fair, a major horn speaker competitor (JBL) has extreme out of control pricing on their speakers.  Fantastic for those that can afford them, but that won't be me.   I have purchased a lot of new klipsch speakers over the years.  The price point now puts them out of reach for me.   While they may be catching up to the competition, it's a dramatic increase in a very short period of time... I'll be sticking with JBL pro from now on.   Quite satisfied and pricing is fantastic in comparison. 

• Like 1

Are they only catching up...

I think on the Khorns maybe but the lesser heritage I think that is debatable. A Heresy,Cornwall,LaScala have they improved that much in 40 years? I can buy a recent pair of black Heresys LN for $1200 and older ones for $600. It seems like nothing ever goes down...buying new anymore is a luxury.

2 hours ago, Kevin S said:

When I bought my first Klipsch Cornwalls in around 1980, Heritage were pricey, but attainable for many. Now Heritage, including Heresy, have gone from attainable to aspirational for many, in my opinion. At 65 and retired on a fixed income, they have become unattainable for me. 

Second hand speakers are always a better option -klipsch Heritage speakers last -

Very glad I bought 2 pair of Heresy 40 years ago and still have them... a fantastic value. Hope to build a 3rd set (all original drivers but new crossover and cabinets) of not Klipsch Heresy with son in law. 

Being retired, I can’t afford anything new in audio.

When inflation runs rampant, like it is doing RIGHT NOW...for various reasons, and it is topped-off by huge increases in lumber/wood-product materials, the prices will rise...back in the Jimmy Carter-era, when I worked there at Klipsch, it was not uncommon at all for the company to have two or more 10% price increases in one calendar year.  And that had absolutely NOTHING to do with employee wage increases at all...since we were lucky to get a nickel a year back then!

• Like 3