Klipsch raising Heritage prices AGAIN on September 1st - this time 15%

Schwa

Yes, hope all consideration due.

Raising standard procedure in the process should make a noticeable part in quality and performance.

All things being equal, could raise the bar.

And, there is the notion, however small to some, being as it is Klipsch after all is said, there will be the historical sales and discount via their network of dealers, and Klipsch.

Bottom line!

Hold the presses: I just received an email from Upscale saying their price increase is now on hold. Good news if new loudspeakers are in your future.

You don't need to watch Uncle Kevie's video...

Klipsch Heritage September 1 Price Increase On Hold

From Heresy to K-Horn, though costs are going up, Klipsch has made the difficult decision to keep retail prices the same. For now. Watch the video to hear more from Kevin.

• Like 1

There’s more than one way to look at these price increases.  For those of us for whom the price of new Heritage speakers is now out of reach, has been so in the past, and will likely continue to be in the future, our collections of bought-used speakers (and who has only one pair?) will appreciate in value in the near future.  How often does that happen, and how cool is that?

Secondly, a strong price margin means a strong company.  Porsche is one of the most stable and strong car companies around, due in great part to the large profit margins on their products.  Yes, the cars are great, and are continually improved, so that today’s 911 is a much better car than the 911s we (some of us, anyway) lusted over when we were younger.  Nobody accuses Porsche of price gouging, do they?  Okay, I don’t know any Porsche owners, but I’ve never read much about price grumbles.  You can afford one, or you can’t.  That’s life.  They’ve always been a quality product, and will likely continue to be.

In the same way, today’s La Scala is vastly improved over the two generations of La Scalas that I have.  I understand that Klipsch went through a scary time a few decades ago, when Heresy sales were said to be the only thing that kept the company afloat.  They may have decided that they never want to feel that close to the edge of closing ever again, and that’s something that we should respect.

Keep in mind that Heritage Series speakers aren’t computers or cars, that are usually in need of upgrades or replacement in less than ten years.  When you buy Heritage, new or used, you’re buying speakers that you may keep for decades.  Who cares what they paid for a speaker that they’ve had for ten years or more?  I got my first La Scalas 15 years ago, and I’m listening to them right now.  There are very few of our possessions that we can say that about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Islander said:

There’s more than one way to look at these price increases.  For those of us for whom the price of new Heritage speakers is now out of reach, has been so in the past, and will likely continue to be in the future, our collections of bought-used speakers (and who has only one pair?) will appreciate in value in the near future.  How often does that happen, and how cool is that?

Secondly, a strong price margin means a strong company.  Porsche is one of the most stable and strong car companies around, due in great part to the large profit margins on their products.  Yes, the cars are great, and are continually improved, so that today’s 911 is a much better car than the 911s we (some of us, anyway) lusted over when we were younger.  Nobody accuses Porsche of price gouging, do they?  Okay, I don’t know any Porsche owners, but I’ve never read much about price grumbles.  You can afford one, or you can’t.  That’s life.  They’ve always been a quality product, and will likely continue to be.

In the same way, today’s La Scala is vastly improved over the two generations of La Scalas that I have.  I understand that Klipsch went through a scary time a few decades ago, when Heresy sales were said to be the only thing that kept the company afloat.  They may have decided that they never want to feel that close to the edge of closing ever again, and that’s something that we should respect.

Keep in mind that Heritage Series speakers aren’t computers or cars, that are usually in need of upgrades or replacement in less than ten years.  When you buy Heritage, new or used, you’re buying speakers that you may keep for decades.  Who cares what they paid for a speaker that they’ve had for ten years or more?  I got my first La Scalas 15 years ago, and I’m listening to them right now.  There are very few of our possessions that we can say that about.

Great post, thanks for sharing these thoughts!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 1974 La Scalas cost $1050USD for a pair when they were new.  In 2006, the pair cost me $1200CAD, bargained down from $1400.  I call that really holding their value.

Based on general observations, it appears to me that Heritage Series speakers depreciate for the first 15-20 years, then the price stabilizes, or even starts to climb, until it may return to the original price, which now seems low, thanks to inflation.  Meanwhile, a new pair is still far more expensive than the old ones, of course.

Do you agree with this assessment?

When I started this game in the 80s, Klipsch prices were expensive, roughly twice the price of "regular" speakers.  But for the quality of construction, it was reasonable.  Now I just shake my head. 

Also, I doubt the price of the newer Heritage line has much effect on the price of the vintage gear.  I believe used gear prices are more a function of seller anxiety and buyer elasticity. 

2 hours ago, Islander said:

I can agree with a lot you have said but then there are companies the price themselves out of business. Klipsch main product is of course the speakers and products that are not the heritage line but I would hate to see the plant in Arkansas close in the future because they priced themselves out of the market. Time will tell.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

I can agree with a lot you have said but then there are companies the price themselves out of business. Klipsch main product is of course the speakers and products that are not the heritage line but I would hate to see the plant in Arkansas close in the future because they priced themselves out of the market. Time will tell.  

I think the plant in Hope is 90% Professional, Cinema and the RF7 3. Could be off on that a bit. 

Heritage was, 10 years ago maybe, 1%  of sales (yes, one percent) and a majority, I don't know by how much, is Heresy's (by number is speakers not dollars). That has skyrocketed since the Heritage Program and the updates, but even if they doubled sales every couple of years it's way down there. 

Fancy walnut Khorns are way less than a price adjusted pair of a new set in '63. They were the same price as a set from the late 70s the last time I ran it. In the 60s they were the price of an average month's income. Most won't remember, but a one earner average income in the early 60s would support a family of four nicely. The average house was under 30K. 

It's a difficult comparison. It's not like a gallon of gas (which isn't included in CPI by the way), a pound of sugar (food isn't in CPI either, go figure). The current line up are better speakers in sound, specs, drivers, horns, etc. then anything in the past, so it's not really fair to compare a AL3 with an AL5 with a current AL6 for example.

The prices I see used Heritage go for on the Facebook vintage audio site are about 20% above what they sell for here (they typicaly are all local pickup only however). 

They won a market share increase award for last year, but I can't remember what catagories(s). 

I need to see what their big competition is at each price point. Is it B&W? They seem to be more. JBL? Focal? Polk I am sure is at all of their catagories.  I never really look, so I have no idea, but it's human nature to be locked into a frame of reference from 5, 10, 20, 30 years ago that has no bearing of what the reality of today is.

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

I didn't know that RF7 III's were made in Hope. Is this accurate? No other Klipsch "consumer line" models either? If so, stock on RF7 III just went way up in my book. I need to do more research.

Yeah it's accurate. Have been for a long, long time. Heritage and the RF7 are the only Preimum Audio (consumer) products that are made in Hope that I'm aware of. 

Edit: From spec sheet:

DESIGNED AND MADE IN THE USA USING DOMESTIC AND IMPORTED COMPONENTS The Klipsch RF-7 III speaker is a testament to the quality that Klipsch demands from each and every one of its audio products. Remember great sound? We do, too. The RF-7 III enclosure is made in the USA, by proud craftsmen in Hope, Arkansas. Just like Paul W. Klipsch (PWK) intended. 

On 8/27/2021 at 9:07 PM, michaelwardjoines said:

Hold the presses: I just received an email from Upscale saying their price increase is now on hold. Good news if new loudspeakers are in your future.

You don't need to watch Uncle Kevie's video...

Klipsch Heritage September 1 Price Increase On Hold

From Heresy to K-Horn, though costs are going up, Klipsch has made the difficult decision to keep retail prices the same. For now. Watch the video to hear more from Kevin.

Well I just went by the Upscale website and he's raised prices since yesterday. After all that crap. Screw that guy. I get the increases (even if I don't like it) however to go online and state "I'm disappointed in Klipsch" along with "They're holding on the increase" and then RAISE PRICES on Sept. 1st anyways?

To make it worse I was looking at the Heresy III. An item he would have purchased at the lower price.  Yet the price went up this morning anyways. Screw him and his company.

6 minutes ago, geezin' said:

Well I just went by the Upscale website and he's raised prices since yesterday. After all that crap. Screw that guy. I get the increases (even if I don't like it) however to go online and state "I'm disappointed in Klipsch" along with "They're holding on the increase" and then RAISE PRICES on Sept. 1st anyways?

To make it worse I was looking at the Heresy III. An item he would have purchased at the lower price.  Yet the price went up this morning anyways. Screw him and his company.

I can't see that his prices went up. The CW IV is still 6600.00 and the Forte IV is still 4500.00. Looks legit to me.