Vinyl Record Cleaning Machine Suggestions

Mighty Favog

Hey Y’All!

Last weekend, Lorrie and I had a guest spend a couple of nights with us so we all could attend a Hot Wheels show about 30-miles away. He's a real nice guy and about 10-years younger than us. It was his first time here but Lorrie has known him about 15-years or so (he's from Knightdale, North Carolina). After they looked over her collection and planning strategy for the show, we all started to relax after his 8+hour drive up here to SW Ohio. Something Lorrie told him about was that I still have a working turntable (Yamaha PF-800 / Shure V15 XmR) with a few cartridges to choose from. Well, he was just enamored over the fact that the turntable worked much less was this versatile. He actually enjoys the minute clicks/pops in the vinyl. It was amusing to watch him stand there close to the TT watching it turn.

In my own head, I was being critical of witch cartridge I had on hand sounded best and swapped out a couple for comparison (Orotofon VMS-30MkII and Stanton P888 w/D73-S stylus). Our guest said they all sounded fine, but me being more of the audio-fool than he was, I couldn’t help it. The Stanton rode very low almost as if it would not support the weight of the tonearm and cartridge at its prescribed tracking force. But I concluded that it was just because the stylus is nearly 40-years old and the cantilever’s suspension had no more elasticity. The Orotofon usually had a relaxed sound to it. The Stanton had nothing going for it from when it was new. The tip looked like it was for 78 rpm records only as it was huge. We referred to it as the Godzilla Bicep Claw (good for trying to take skips OUT of records). But I bought the Stanton long before the Yamaha for my first TT; a Technics SL-D300 that was only $150.

The stylus and cartridge for the Shure V15 was only about 20-years old so that had the best chance of sounding good and is still my favorite bang for the buck. I have an older Shure V15 Type V but the stylus had way too many miles on it. Shure even had an offer in the late 90’s to early 2000’s where you could send them your worn out stylus and they would sell you an exact replacement for $20!!! Thankfully, they let me order two new ones.

So, our guest went back home Sunday night and I started diligently trying to get back the sound I once had. The Shure stylus is what I’m working on most so I took it off of the tonearm still attached to the headshell and started applying some Clearaudio stylus cleaner using a Discwasher stylus brush only moving in the outward direction. I then looked at it again with a lighted magnifying glass. The sides of the tip again were sparkling with the reflection. So, from there any improvements would have to come from either a new Jico stylus (@ $250) or a record cleaning machine. Up till now the only thing I’ve used is a Discwasher D4 brush a fluid set that was a birthday gift from when I was 19-years old (I’m 56 now).

Someone I once knew said they had surprisingly good luck with an Okki Nokki unit a friend of his owns and those run about $600.

Is there any others that would be comparable to performance and maybe a little less cost?

"They" say that the ultrasonic machines work very well and I can confirm that they do BUT I have a pacemaker and the drive mechanism used neomydium magnets to hold the album together on the drive.  That's a MAJOR no-no w/a pacer.  I wondered cause I felt something going on sooooo  bingo!  It's NFS cause it's going back to the guy here I got it from when he's settled into his new digs.

I went w/the VPI from Upscale which was $850 when I got it.  Then it jumped to $950 with the new price increase everyone's doing.  Checked it out on youtube and saw good and bad reviews but went with it anyway.  VPI makes some good stuff so I attributed the "cons" I saw to ignorance.  Might be wrong but so far it's done an exceptional job for me.  Running a Linn table w/a Dynavector 20X2H cart into my PrimaLuna integrated.  Clean as a whistle on the newer lp's and does a nice job on my 60''s & 70's stuff.  Heavy and very stable sitting on the end of one of my record shelves.  Outta the machine in about 2 minutes dry and ready to play.  The vac is loud but they're completely dry by the time they're played.  No static electricity and imo a sweet machine from a reputable company.  Naturally they want you to buy their fluid but there are other combinations you can mix up cheaper.  It's pricey but does a sweet job.  I'm happy.

Upscale also has a modified ultrasonic that seems nice also.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 8:41 PM, Joecoulson said:

Okki Nokki user here for two plus years. Simple vacuum setup as above, but has an aluminum chassis which I thought would last better than the composites of other manufacturers. 
Definitely worth having one if you own a collection 

I found an Okki Nokki second hand for $400 and brought her home today. It didn't come with much fluid or a brush, so I'll have to order some. Or mix my own home brew after some research. LOL!! The thing sounds like a tiny shop vac. 😆

• Like 2

On 8/21/2021 at 3:16 PM, Mighty Favog said:

Hey Y’All!

Last weekend, Lorrie and I had a guest spend a couple of nights with us so we all could attend a Hot Wheels show about 30-miles away. He's a real nice guy and about 10-years younger than us. It was his first time here but Lorrie has known him about 15-years or so (he's from Knightdale, North Carolina). After they looked over her collection and planning strategy for the show, we all started to relax after his 8+hour drive up here to SW Ohio. Something Lorrie told him about was that I still have a working turntable (Yamaha PF-800 / Shure V15 XmR) with a few cartridges to choose from. Well, he was just enamored over the fact that the turntable worked much less was this versatile. He actually enjoys the minute clicks/pops in the vinyl. It was amusing to watch him stand there close to the TT watching it turn.

In my own head, I was being critical of witch cartridge I had on hand sounded best and swapped out a couple for comparison (Orotofon VMS-30MkII and Stanton P888 w/D73-S stylus). Our guest said they all sounded fine, but me being more of the audio-fool than he was, I couldn’t help it. The Stanton rode very low almost as if it would not support the weight of the tonearm and cartridge at its prescribed tracking force. But I concluded that it was just because the stylus is nearly 40-years old and the cantilever’s suspension had no more elasticity. The Orotofon usually had a relaxed sound to it. The Stanton had nothing going for it from when it was new. The tip looked like it was for 78 rpm records only as it was huge. We referred to it as the Godzilla Bicep Claw (good for trying to take skips OUT of records). But I bought the Stanton long before the Yamaha for my first TT; a Technics SL-D300 that was only $150.

The stylus and cartridge for the Shure V15 was only about 20-years old so that had the best chance of sounding good and is still my favorite bang for the buck. I have an older Shure V15 Type V but the stylus had way too many miles on it. Shure even had an offer in the late 90’s to early 2000’s where you could send them your worn out stylus and they would sell you an exact replacement for $20!!! Thankfully, they let me order two new ones.

So, our guest went back home Sunday night and I started diligently trying to get back the sound I once had. The Shure stylus is what I’m working on most so I took it off of the tonearm still attached to the headshell and started applying some Clearaudio stylus cleaner using a Discwasher stylus brush only moving in the outward direction. I then looked at it again with a lighted magnifying glass. The sides of the tip again were sparkling with the reflection. So, from there any improvements would have to come from either a new Jico stylus (@ $250) or a record cleaning machine. Up till now the only thing I’ve used is a Discwasher D4 brush a fluid set that was a birthday gift from when I was 19-years old (I’m 56 now).

Someone I once knew said they had surprisingly good luck with an Okki Nokki unit a friend of his owns and those run about $600.

Is there any others that would be comparable to performance and maybe a little less cost?

Research old posts on the 2-CHANNEL forum. @Garymd has offered very good information on this subject.