I am looking for an inexpensive amplifier for my 7.2 home theater system Yamaha RX-V663

Gcyrusday

This is the first Forum  I have ever joined and I'm glad I did. I am in need of an amplifier for my home theater but am on a very tight budget ( system listed in my profile) I also received a pair of Heresy-ish speakers that would use for zone B speakers for Hi-Fi listening that would need an amp for as well. Any advice, suggestions and input would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

3 hours ago, Gcyrusday said:

This is the first Forum  I have ever joined and I'm glad I did. I am in need of an amplifier for my home theater but am on a very tight budget ( system listed in my profile) I also received a pair of Heresy-ish speakers that would use for zone B speakers for Hi-Fi listening that would need an amp for as well. Any advice, suggestions and input would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

plenty of deals on Ebay ,  any amplifier with 50-75-100 wpc will do the job

11 minutes ago, psg said:

Same here. Looking for affordable 7.1 receiver with pre-outs for front L&R, banana plugs on speaker terminals, and preferably two HDMI outputs (for TV and projector). So far the Yamaha RX-V6a looks to be the cheapest.

Did you read my comment above?  What's affordable for you may be pocket change to the next guy.  Give at least an idea of what you want to spend. 

10 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Did you read my comment above?  What's affordable for you may be pocket change to the next guy.  Give at least an idea of what you want to spend. 

A $400 receiver in the US is C$700 in Canada and C$800 after taxes. I'd like to keep it below C$1000, total.

I mentioned the Yamaha; it's C$850 before taxes. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 7:51 AM, AndreG. said:

I would like to know too? 😉

So I recently accquired a pair of ??? supposedly H-700/Heresy speakers with type c crossovers all the parts a correct but the cabs have the horns and tweeters vertical. I can't find a label but part of is seems right but also seems all wrong. I plan on doing a re-cap on the crossovers

and go from there. I really want to get them to sound the way a Heresy/H-700 should. Thinking of making new cabinets for them to get them up to specs. The cabs seem like they were modified with a different motor board speaker size is H- 24 3/4"  w- 15"  D 11 3/4" with 3/4" wood. Rear panel is removable like it should be.

• Like 1

Not sure what type of amplifier I should get either. I'm thinking something that would power my home theater 7 channels plus presence speakers and maybe something to use for just hi fi stereo. any thoughts and/or opinions welcome.

8 hours ago, Gcyrusday said:

In response to the question what is affordable... around $50 to $275 range thinking used maybe. Not sure how much I would need it but would like to try out a tube amp, maybe build it myself for fun.

That won't be easy based on your following post:

8 hours ago, Gcyrusday said:

Not sure what type of amplifier I should get either. I'm thinking something that would power my home theater 7 channels plus presence speakers and maybe something to use for just hi fi stereo. any thoughts and/or opinions welcome.

You're talking 9 channels, with Atmos.  $275 isn't a lot to go on there.  You might be able to get something in the 5.2.1 configuration, but I don't believe there's much, if anything, out there in the 7.2.1 under $400 or $500.  At least, nothing worth it's weight.

What are your thoughts on a 12 channel amplifier? I found one by Pyle Pro PT12050CH 12 channel amplifier. In all discloser I do not know very much or have much experience with Home Audio amplifiers so its mostly new to me. I was in a band and used various types of amps in that context. I realize because of my budget limits I don't have a lot of options but I need to start somewhere. my home theater does not have Dolby Atmos but does have DTS-true HD /master audio and Dolby true HD its an older Yamaha RX-v663 I also have an Onkyo TX-NR609 but having isues with the Onkyo (no sound) I am interested in building a DIY amplifier but need to know which components I should get.

Pyle is one of those brands I will go on record and say is a garbage brand with garbage products.  Do not buy a product from them, none of their products will do much other than damage your speakers.

I don't know the basics necessary to build an HT AVR - which it sounds like what you're going for rather than a straight amplifier.  If you want something basic, I'd stay with the 663 for now until you can afford something a bit better.

• Haha 1