Home generators

EmilC

2 hours ago, billybob said:

Stabilizer works and see no problem. 

It can still grow algae if left long enough.  NG is the way to go if it's available.   Generator oil stays incredibly clean with NG as well.  I change my engine oil every 2 years with synthetic and it always looks great when draining no matter how much it's run. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

It can still grow algae if left long enough.  NG is the way to go if it's available.   Generator oil stays incredibly clean with NG as well.  I change my engine oil every 2 years with synthetic and it always looks great when draining no matter how much it's run. 

Sounds good Carl. Synthetic is all am going to have in my motor from now on...(knocking on wood).

Thanks!

On 8/23/2021 at 4:02 PM, michaelwardjoines said:

BTW, having lived in Florida for twenty years, there is a reason its called Florida Flicker & Light. When it gets cold, everyone turns on their electric heat. Rolling brownouts are a treat during the holidays. Generators come in hand for storms down there, too.

I lived in Florida for 48 years (Jacksonville and Orlando), maybe I was lucky, but power was usually fairly reliable. A lot of people in Florida have heat pumps since it doesn’t get too cold, although my last home there I bought had an HVAC with electric heat assist only. 

• Like 2

New Orleans Entirely Without Power, 911 Service Due to Ida: Officials

By Jack Phillips
August 30, 2021 Updated: August 30, 2021

All of New Orleans, Louisana, is now without power due to Hurricane Ida, according to the city’s emergency preparedness campaign.

Entergy, the main utility for New Orleans, “confirmed that New Orleans has no power,” and the “only power in the city is coming from generators,” said the city’s NOLA Ready on Twitter.

In a Monday morning update, NOLA Ready said the city’s 911 dispatch service and power both remain out, numerous trees and power lines have been downed, and emergency personnel are responding to incidents on the ground. The 911 service went down briefly on Sunday ahead of the arrival of Ida, which was downgraded to a tropical storm early Monday morning and is now moving to the northeast over Mississippi.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/new-orleans-is-entirely-without-power-911-service-due-to-hurricane-ida-officials_3971363.html?utm_source=newsnoe&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=breaking-2021-08-30-1&est=40OWYEIz6ENiIwk250I1Y1Qa9lNkegaluq%2F%2FABi0U8Vf0LTee1B3QPYQXoCqOc6PGw%3D%3D

1 hour ago, USNRET said:

from the 'web'
Although Generac has increased its output of standby residential generators, incoming orders have exceeded the additional production, Jagdfeld said. The company reported a 28-week backlog

Not a bit surprised. 

Putting the towers back up may be measured in months.

Hurricane Ida Exposes Grid Weaknesses As 2,000 Miles of High-Voltage Lines Damages 

by Tyler Durden
Tuesday, Aug 31, 2021 - 07:50 AM

More than a million customers across Lousiana are without power on Tuesday morning. Some reports indicate it could take weeks for the lights to come back on as thousands of miles of transmission lines were damaged after Hurricane Ida rolled through on Sunday

The Category 4 hurricane raises fresh questions about how well New Orleans and other coastal areas across Lousiana are prepared for natural disasters. As of 0630 ET, PowerOutage.US reports a little more than one million customers are without power across the state's coastal plain. 

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/hurricane-ida-exposes-grid-weaknesses-2000-miles-high-voltage-lines-damages

article: "........raises fresh questions about how well New Orleans and other coastal areas across Lousiana are prepared for natural disasters."

"Fresh questions"? As if above question never pondered prior to this hurricane. What gov contingencies are in place (if any) for attack or shut down of power grid, water supply, or emp attack. 

This reminds me of 'something else' that recently occurred.

2 hours ago, Bubo said:

Putting the towers back up may be measured in months.

Hurricane Ida Exposes Grid Weaknesses As 2,000 Miles of High-Voltage Lines Damages 

by Tyler Durden
Tuesday, Aug 31, 2021 - 07:50 AM

More than a million customers across Lousiana are without power on Tuesday morning. Some reports indicate it could take weeks for the lights to come back on as thousands of miles of transmission lines were damaged after Hurricane Ida rolled through on Sunday

The Category 4 hurricane raises fresh questions about how well New Orleans and other coastal areas across Lousiana are prepared for natural disasters. As of 0630 ET, PowerOutage.US reports a little more than one million customers are without power across the state's coastal plain. 

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/hurricane-ida-exposes-grid-weaknesses-2000-miles-high-voltage-lines-damages

Ar least the pumps didn't quit this time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Subway said:

article: "........raises fresh questions about how well New Orleans and other coastal areas across Lousiana are prepared for natural disasters."

"Fresh questions"? As if above question never pondered prior to this hurricane. What gov contingencies are in place (if any) for attack or shut down of power grid, water supply, or emp attack. 

This reminds me of 'something else' that recently occurred.

In the old days, before Federal Flood Insurance

only fools lived near the coast and in flood zones.

You could get a trailer with land for $10K in islamorada in the keys 45 years ago

with no hope of any insurance of any kind

Now the whole Island is 4 star hotels and million dollar homes

Get rid of flood insurance

and you get rid of flooded homes .....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Why?  It will be under water soon enough.

Plenty of time to enjoy my new bargin winter home. I might even splurge and buy a double-wide. 

Sea level continues to rise at a rate of about 1/8" per year.

Is sea level rising? (noaa.gov)

Scientists Baffled As Antarctic Ice Goes From Record High To Record Low - The Global Warming Policy Forum (thegwpf.com)

• Like 1

I also prefer whole-house, which dehumidifies vary well.  Separate dehumidifiers put out a lot of heat, have limited in-house distribution, not worth it..

I had a Cummins 20 kw, but quiet it was not.  I had to have rubber-cork vibration absorbers installed under it near my wood-frame house, which worked wonders. Cost= $20,000 10 years ago.  Worth it to me. Definitely worth it for sump pump protection, especially if you have K-horns on the floor in your basement.  That happened to a forum member a few years ago, ruined the bottom of it.🥵

- Larry

• Like 1