New Forum Dark Theme

Chad

• Administrators

Hello,

Due to the recent forum maintenance, some of the older forum themes may look a bit odd in places. I've installed a new Dark theme that fans of darker theme colors can now use. To switch your preferred theme, scroll to the bottom of the window, click "Theme", then choose "Dark Theme (2021)".

The older themes will stay around for the time being, but I do not plan on updating those in the future. Thanks all!

image.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Thanks Chad.

The old one was messing with me a bit.

5 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

I'm wondering why the reaction counts were removed...?

IPS likely moved these to a non-core feature.  Even in v3 we were contemplating removing it, I guess they finally just pulled the trigger a version and a half later.

47 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

Thanks Chad.

The old one was messing with me a bit.

IPS likely moved these to a non-core feature.  Even in v3 we were contemplating removing it, I guess they finally just pulled the trigger a version and a half later.

I think I would rather swap the post counts out, and keep the reaction counts.  This will remove the impetus to simply post "Me too" solely for a higher post count.  I think it will actually facilitate quality content over raw post counts...

6 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

I think I would rather swap the post counts out, and keep the reaction counts.  This will remove the impetus to simply post "Me too" solely for a higher post count.  I think it will actually facilitate quality content over raw post counts...

That's entirely up to individual forum operators.

As for the reason we were toying with dumping it from IPS, we noted issues with people complaining about superiority complexes for lack of a better term.  It was also easier to db query the post counts than the reaction counts (in 3, it was easier in 4).  Either way, post count's are standard forum measurement - that's true across all forum software.  Reactions weren't.  Posts were part of the core, you had to turn reactions on (you could always post, but not react).

Nothing's stopping the admin from installing a third party plugin either way.

3 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

That's entirely up to individual forum operators.

As for the reason we were toying with dumping it from IPS, we noted issues with people complaining about superiority complexes for lack of a better term.  It was also easier to db query the post counts than the reaction counts (in 3, it was easier in 4).  Either way, post count's are standard forum measurement - that's true across all forum software.  Reactions weren't.  Posts were part of the core, you had to turn reactions on (you could always post, but not react).

Nothing's stopping the admin from installing a third party plugin either way.

Don't get me wrong, I love the changes and the (somewhat) new look.  I appreciate all of your time on the admin side doing upgrades like these, as they are never quite as straightforward nor easy as they are made out to be.  A big "Thank You!" to everyone involved.

16 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

Don't get me wrong, I love the changes and the (somewhat) new look.  I appreciate all of your time on the admin side doing upgrades like these, as they are never quite as straightforward nor easy as they are made out to be.  A big "Thank You!" to everyone involved.

I should point out, I'm not an admin here.  I just used to work for IPS.  I know the structure for the software and the thinking they've used for the majority of IPS4.  Just clarifying an answer from the development end when I see an opportunity to share the information I have.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, The History Kid said:

I should point out, I'm not an admin here.  I just used to work for IPS.  I know the structure for the software and the thinking they've used for the majority of IPS4.  Just clarifying an answer from the development end when I see an opportunity to share the information I have.

I should have been clearer in my post.  "Your" meant the all-inclusive.  Everyone that worked on doing this upgrade, Chad plus everyone else who had a hand in it.

• Like 3

• Chad unfeatured this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Than goodness for this new dark theme, or anything other than that default one. That was killing me. I haven't had a headache like that since George Michaels- Careless Whisper took over the airwaves! Good God man who's suppose to be able to read like that for more than 30 seconds anyway. That last page I saw before switching over is still burned into my vision!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RayD8R said:

Than goodness for this new dark theme, or anything other than that default one. That was killing me. I haven't had a headache like that since George Michaels- Careless Whisper took over the airwaves! Good God man who's suppose to be able to read like that for more than 30 seconds anyway. That last page I saw before switching over is still burned into my vision!

It turns out that the old Dark theme is still available, so we appear to have 2 choices of Dark theme.  Cool!

• 4 months later...