Does anyone use their Heritage Speakers as electronics racks....

CoryGillmore

I've been considering going to a monoblock setup for my CWIVs, and was wondering if anyone has put their electronics on top of their large Heritage speakers (LaScala, Cornwall etc), as this would be my best option in my current room. Plus I think it would look cool to have a monoblock amp on top of each Cornwall IV....

Assuming I'm not worried about slightly messing up the finish on my CWIV, are there any other reasons why this is a bad idea? My CWIVs don't seem to vibrate a whole lot, even at my rock out listening levels...

Assuming I am worried about the finish on my Cornwalls, is there anything you all do to avoid messing up the finish when using your speakers as a piece of furniture? 

2 hours ago, Edgar said:

Solid state or tubes? Tubes can be microphonic, so any vibration will affect the sound (and possibly the life of the tubes). Solid state, not so much.

Definitely solid state. I've been strongly considering a Schiit Aegir monoblock setup....80W of pure class A for $1600 a pair is hard to beat...

I think mono blocks look awesome displayed on a butcher/cutting  block in the floor, either in front or middle between the speakers. Of course if you have kids or pets this isn’t an option. I have neither so I’ve had my mc30s and my Hf60s on display like this. No vibration problems. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I would not worry much about SS electronics on the speakers, I have all of mine on a sub and had no problems. It's a receiver, BR player, satellite receiver, 3 amps and a active crossover. It's a large sub about 6' wide and powerfull, it does not even make the BR disc skip which I was worried about. 

• Like 2

On 8/23/2021 at 9:36 AM, CoryGillmore said:

IAssuming I am worried about the finish on my Cornwalls, is there anything you all do to avoid messing up the finish when using your speakers as a piece of furniture? 

You can place  a rubber mat over the speakers --or  you can add  glass tops with a few rubber bumpers  between the speakers and the glass-

-Scotch® Self-Stick Rubber Bumpers, SP950-NA, clear, 0.5 in (1.27 cm), 20 per pack

81zhTEbUDOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

I guess I might have.

Years ago, I had some glass shelving.  This glass was a full inch thick, maybe 12" deep and maybe 36" in length.  I was hurting for space to put things so, had several of these shelves.  Putting them side by side (24" depth) I bridged them from the LaScalas to (I forget) something in the middle being used for the tv stand.  I now had extra real estate space to put the electronics and now had natural space under them to put the LP's and tapes for my RTR.

I think I still have several of those shelves.  Been carrying them around for probably 30/35 years.  VERY nice shelving but so big/thick/strong, you really need a built in situation to use them.  Heavy boogers.  Nice thing, they can help in a pinch if you need some ramps to raise your car, tractor or industrial backhoe

:o

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 12:33 PM, MC39693 said:

Nothing, absolutely nothing goes on top of my 40 year old Heresy x 2 pair. Don’t even think about it!

oh, let’s water the plants on top of the speakers! Ayeee!,,,

that would be my wife!

hence custom hi angle risers discourages anything on top :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2021 at 11:11 AM, CoryGillmore said:

Definitely solid state. I've been strongly considering a Schiit Aegir monoblock setup....80W of pure class A for $1600 a pair is hard to beat...

those amps generate so much heat, i tried them and return ed them, don't put them on the speakers directly, the heat may damage the speakers.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I actually ended up buying a 3rd party TV base that will raise my TV enough to be able to fit everything on the TV stand! I believe @RandyH told me about it in my other thread talking about covering the TV and TV stand with a blanket during 2-channel listening. 

EDIT: actually, it was @billybob who told me about the TV base. 

• Like 3

There is a product called grip liner, lightweight, cheap and easy to cut with scissors. Color is brown.

I used it under my extension ladder when painting the walls in my living room so the ladder doesn't slip on the hardwood floors.

I've got pictures on top of my Khorns and even Pink Floyd can't knock them down.

• Like 1