Strengthening La Scala cabinet?

Dave MacKay

3 hours ago, Dave MacKay said:

I'm inclined to proceed with laminating 1/4" panels to the sides, bottom, and top for these reasons:

Excellent -

1 nice addition to the base of the speaker is a  2 or 3 inch riser to decouple the speaker from  the bottom  panel   -   the new LS5  have risers made with MDF , painted black -

20 hours ago, Dave MacKay said:

Adding braces to the bass bins was attractive in that it would be (relatively) simple and easily reversible, However, I was concerned that the braces might impair the sound, since they would consume a not insignificant volume in the bass bin. 

No there is not enough volume in the brace to matter and I always used 25mm Baltic Birch because I have some sitting around.

It sounds like you have decided on adding to the sides. That will still be better than what you started with and why don't you post pictures as your project progresses.

I would only add that bracing effects can be heard even at lower levels over time.  Live it it clamped-up a week+ and then unclamp it and listen.  I realize you've already gone exo-skeletal, but if you're changing them at all, they aren't survivors and the easier construction route would seem to be bracing if laziness is a factor.  There can be a lot of discussion about _why_ it's different, but it is.  If you treat it all as a chance for hearing education, it becomes Science!  :)  There are seemingly boundless reasons to admire PWK's engineering, but it's also worth noting the man had a business.  My sense is that PWK would say it's all horse-puckey ("dimes worh of difference") and that Dennis would, in a one-liner, say exactly what bracing to use and where to put it (while managing to have an edge to the post).  They are both routinely still missed.   

• 2 weeks later...

I just acquired a ridiculously cheap pair of LaScalas ($250 CDN, so around $200 US). Unfortunately, the previous owner really went to town with some questionable modifications, especially to the top section (added carrying handles, changed the horns, changed the drivers, remove the doghouse access panel... these must of sounded awful!!). The bass bin is very much intact and well sealed.

I plan on chopping off the top section, keeping the bass bin only and will purchase a set of the 510 clones from ebay and go two way. Now, I would like to add some 1/4" baltic birch around the sides, top and bottom of the bass bins. Ideally, I'd like to avoid using screws or brad nails.

Does anyone have any great ideas how to ensure proper pressure while laminating said bass bin?

This project is for well into next year, so no rush. Mostly exploring my options right now.

24 minutes ago, Ray_pierrewit said:

I just acquired a ridiculously cheap pair of LaScalas ($250 CDN, so around $200 US). Unfortunately, the previous owner really went to town with some questionable modifications, especially to the top section (added carrying handles, changed the horns, changed the drivers, remove the doghouse access panel... these must of sounded awful!!). The bass bin is very much intact and well sealed.

I plan on chopping off the top section, keeping the bass bin only and will purchase a set of the 510 clones from ebay and go two way. Now, I would like to add some 1/4" baltic birch around the sides, top and bottom of the bass bins. Ideally, I'd like to avoid using screws or brad nails.

Does anyone have any great ideas how to ensure proper pressure while laminating said bass bin?

This project is for well into next year, so no rush. Mostly exploring my options right now.

Sounds really familiar.  Check out what I did.  I chopped the tops off like you are thinking of doing, and made rugged splits on wheels.  New handles, SpeakOns, all trimmed out.  K33, A55, K77, Klipsch crossovers.  401 horns.

They sound fantastic.  BTW, I'm not sure how that photo below got affixed to the topic, those in the photo belong to @MookieStl I think.  You gotta walk through the thread to see how they turned out.

22 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

Sounds really familiar.  Check out what I did.  I chopped the tops off like you are thinking of doing, and made rugged splits on wheels.  New handles, SpeakOns, all trimmed out.  K33, A55, K77, Klipsch crossovers.  401 horns.

Wow, looks like BOTH previous owners of our old beater LaScalas had the same ideas and awful execution! I'll post pictures later of the random bits and pieces mine were cobbled up with. Scary stuff! You did some great work there, it's really useful to have that thread with detailed pictures. I won't be going for an industrial look as these will be in our living room.

I've decided to, when the time comes, try @Dave A's method of pounding the side panel off once I've chopped the HF section off. I'll then just use 3/4 BB and replace the sides, the top will need a 1/4" BB to repair some half baked ideas someone had. So Dave, just how easy is it to pound the sides off? Do I just use a rubber mallet and blocs?

Edited by Ray_pierrewit
added details
  • Like 2

If you are going the "pretty" route, look up a couple threads from @Matthews 

He did several pairs of LS that went he resurrected.

Those of mine pictured above in @codewritinfool's post were a pair he grabbed that were too far gone for anything other than industrial. 

Like I said several (3 or 4) detailed threads by Mathews that are a fun read.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MookieStl said:

If you are going the "pretty" route, look up a couple threads from @Matthews 

Yeah, I'll be aiming for the "pretty" route. I've searched through @Matthews threads with great interest. Thanks!

10 hours ago, Marvel said:

@Ray_pierrewit
Do you still have those EV speakers? Your were going to try some different placement IIRC.

Bruce

I do still have the Sentry IV-B, those are in my studio and haven't moved around much, still sitting atop my QPie bass bins.

Last night my Sony 4300F active crossover crapped out on me, so I wired the factory passive xovers and drivers and brought out my 2A3 SET amp. Simple setup, sounds great.

I was looking to get a DSP based active xover and am currently negotiating with someone selling a Xilica DCP-3060. I was on the fence about buying the Xilica, it's an older unit with only 3 outputs, but the timing of my Sony getting sick and the reasonable price of the DCP are really weighing in. Plus @Chris Awrote to me that the DCP should be fine in my setup and is willing to help with the settings.

Daniel

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm restoring an older set of lascala

Prior owner actually added formica tops

Bad cover up job on sides w flooring hardwood nailed on

Also full grill clothes

W 1000 staples

Planning to flip the tops

Fresh birch on bottoms of tops 

Strip old stain

Bleach sand and refinish

Then stain stain and poly

Question!!!

Can I remove rear cover of base cabs?

Screwed ?

Or also glued?

I want to be able to get to back floor of V

For sand and clean for staining 

Tops def come off

Not sure of back cover

Thx Guys

I've owned multiple sets over 50 years 

Refinished many but these need a bit!!!

Lol

On 3/13/2023 at 10:25 AM, Stephen wolf said:

Also full grill clothes

W 1000 staples

Strip old stain

Bleach sand and refinish

Question!!!

Screwed ?

Or also glued?

Tops def come off

Not sure of back cover

Thx Guys

Lol

Please post pictures of the speakers before you started taking off all of the hacks.  We need entertainment!

• Like 2

On 3/13/2023 at 1:25 PM, Stephen wolf said:

Also full grill clothes

W 1000 staples

Strip old stain

Bleach sand and refinish

Question!!!

Screwed ?

Or also glued?

Tops def come off

Not sure of back cover

Thx Guys

Lol

No, the backs are usually glued and nailed between the two side pieces.

they are also glued and possibly nailed to the ramps that provide the expansion between the back of the cabinet and the rear of the doghouse section.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2023 at 12:25 PM, Stephen wolf said:

There is no "rear cover".  Can you post a photo of what you're talking about?

Do you mean the hatch?  The woofer hatch is usually on the bottom unless you go back a bit and then it can be on top, and if you go back to the first few sets it might be on the side.

If you mean the back wall of the La Scala, it is firmly attached and really can't be removed.